Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

skytrain from airport to bangkok central.

skorp

just seen this on another thread,  anyone know what time it starts and stops ?   45 baht one way i believe ?    wish i had knew about this before as i usually pay 550-600 into central.  

where to board it at airport ?  do i need get a bus or taxi to the sky train station ?  

It's not actually the Skytrain, that is another system that runs commuter trains in & around Bangkok on elevated tracks - hence the name Skytrain.

The Airport Rail link runs from the basement level at Swampy. It's signposted so easy enough to find the station.

The first train departs the airport at 06:00, then they run roughly every 15 minutes until midnight. Journey time is about 30 minutes. As you say, the fare to Phaya Thai is 45 baht.

If you are staying near Asoke, you can take the train to Makkasan, then (after a longish walk) transfer to the MRT to Asoke. Or get a cab to your hotel.

Easy system to use is the Airport Rail Link (ARL). You can take your suitcase. bags on the trolley right down on escalators to the basement of the airport building. You will easily get a seat on the train being one of the first passengers on the train. The train will fill up as many Thai people get on at the next two or three stops. If your staying near Asoke then get off the train at Makkasan. From memory I think the fare the five stops to Makkasan is 35 Baht. It's 45 Baht if you go all the way to Phaya Thai. You will be a given a disc type token to keep when purchasing your train fare. This should be handed in at the gates of where ever your destination end is either Phaya Thai or Makkasan. Bangkok central means many things to different people and we do not know your destination.

Best not to take the train in morning peak. We were crammed in like sardines. When we changed for the skytrain, we let two trains go by as they were full

It's a great service. Goes to the Siam mall area. There are two trains, make sure you get on the fast one, the slow one has frequent stops and takes a long time. The only snag is the train stops at the top floor of Siam station, and you have to take you bags down to the lower keel to get the skytrsin, and there is no elevation or escalator, just stairs

Get a hotel near a skytrain stop on Sukhumvit,forget makkasan unless your hotel is close by.

At Makkasan you can walk to Phetchaburi MRT station and get to Sukhumvit MRT station easily then walk to a hotel in the Asok area.

Going all the way on the ARL then the BTS back to Asok will cost more.

It's a great service. Goes to the Siam mall area. There are two trains, make sure you get on the fast one, the slow one has frequent stops and takes a long time. The only snag is the train stops at the top floor of Siam station, and you have to take you bags down to the lower keel to get the skytrsin, and there is no elevation or escalator, just stairs

The ARL has stopped the express service and only the regular "slow" one is operating now.

As a guide I get the ARL to Makkasan then walk to Phetchaburi MRT station and get the MRT to Sukhumvit and walk to my hotel in Soi 15 takes about 45 minutes - cost 51B from memory, taxi can take the same time on a good day or 1 1/2 hours + on a bad day.

I don't mind the little bit of walking between stations and to the hotel after sitting on the plane all those hours... except when it is raining 555

Absolutely spot on Mr Freeze you took the words right out of my mouth. I also think Makkasan is a little more user friendly than Phaya Thai with that footbridge that takes you to the MRT at Phetchaburi. Phaya Thai has a very small lift and its difficult to get in when about 50 other people with suitcases all competing with you. This means having to use the staircase which is no fun with heavy suitcases. That 51 Baht rings a bell with me, it being 35 Baht for the ARL and 16 Baht going one MRT stop from Phetchaburi to Sukhumvit

My usual Bangkok hotel is Grand President in Sukhumvit Soi 11.

At Suvarnabhumi airport I go down to the station in the basement (follow signs) and buy a ticket from the machine or the desk (clerk has basic English); think it is 45 bahts to go to Makkasan. About 15 minutes ride.

At Makkasan follow the signs to the taxi desk and take a taxi to your hotel. For me it averages 60-70 bahts. 

Quicker than a taxi all the way from the airport, cheaper too, and easy, especially when you have a suitcase.

Bangkok bus, MRT, BTS - All in one Guide

just seen this on another thread, anyone know what time it starts and stops ? 45 baht one way i believe ? wish i had knew about this before as i usually pay 550-600 into central.

where to board it at airport ? do i need get a bus or taxi to the sky train station ?

This is a good map that details how the light rail and subway systems work together.

Easy to use and transfer between ARL, BTS, MRT & BRT.

It won't be long until a link to Pattaya is added to this map:

image.png

Bangkok Post newspaper web edition today says:

Airport Rail Link has increased its service frequency to 10 minutes or 195 trips per day from 154 during weekdays to meet increasing demand.

Weekend services will also be ramped up to 182 trips from 140, said Prasert Attanan, acting governor of the State Railway of Thailand, the operator of Airport Rail Link.

With eight stations, Airport Rail Link connects Suvarnabhumi airport with inner Bangkok. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the airport rail link all above ground.......good map whalley........

I remember going to siam and crossing platform to go to MBK....Also MRT at sukumvit to Huai Kwang to check out nataree.....

Archived