Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Repair Or Replacement Of Roof

forcebwithu

Looking for advice on the repair or replacement of a roof that after ten years of service is now leaking in spots. Suspect the reason for the leaks are some of the bolts used to hold the roof in place are no longer watertight.

IMG_1557.jpg

The current roof is some sort of fiberglass material and appears to be in good shape; no cracks or holes.

IMG_1555.jpg

My first thought is some sort of repair to make the bolts watertight again. For those with roofing experience in Thailand, is there a waterproofing product that can be applied to the bolts that will provide a long term fix? If, from your experience, a repair is not cost effective nor effective for the long term, what would you recommend as a replacement roof? Cost per sq meter and expected life of the roof would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Just curious, but your bolts are installed upside down, i.e., the heads are normally at the exterior side with the washer and rubber sealing washer under the head.

Is that normal in your area of Thailand?

I'd try and get a Somchai to reverse the bolt direction and have him add a rubber gasket to the revised bolt direction.

Just curious, but your bolts are installed upside down, i.e., the heads are normally at the exterior side with the washer and rubber sealing washer under the head.

Is that normal in your area of Thailand?

I'd try and get a Somchai to reverse the bolt direction and have him add a rubber gasket to the revised bolt direction.

They're installed correctly. The underside is hook shaped to hold the roof to the trusses.

IMG_1567.jpg

They're installed correctly. The underside is hook shaped to hold the roof to the trusses.

attachicon.gifIMG_1567.jpg

Ah, ok, makes sense now.

Could use a sealing gasket/washer though.

Tend to agree with KM but I've seen the bolts that way round plenty of times.

With a profiled(?) washer under the nut it doesn't actually make any difference which way round they are, but have they got a rubber sealing washer under the steel ones and are they sound?

Firstly I'd work out where exactly the leaks are and investigate specifically there.

I wouldn't even be thinking about replacing the whole roof unless you have some other reason to.

There will be some form of bitumastic sealant at your local hardware store, probably in a similar colour to the sheets and my inclination would be to send a Thai guy up there to splodge some around each bolt.

Edit. Yes of course, hook bolts.

My gal just had the same problem, the Thais used silicone around the bolts and leaking areas. It was a quick fix but seemed to work.

I've seen that used in the past, but it only lasts a couple of years. I think it's the heat and UV that quickly breaks the silicone base down. I used neoprene caulk on my home in the US around flashing and to repair tears in asphalt shingles with good results. Unfortunately I've yet to find a source in Thailand. Be interested to hear if anyone knows of a source.

I've seen that used in the past, but it only lasts a couple of years. I think it's the heat and UV that quickly breaks the silicone base down. I used neoprene caulk on my home in the US around flashing and to repair tears in asphalt shingles with good results. Unfortunately I've yet to find a source in Thailand. Be interested to hear if anyone knows of a source.

Thai Watsadu carries that product. It's relatively expensive though, about 200 Baht a tube.

Thai Watsadu carries that product. It's relatively expensive though, about 200 Baht a tube.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not surprised to hear it's expensive. Seems most specialty, higher quality products in Thailand are. I'll have a look at Thai Watsadu, perhaps they'll have other roofing products that may be better and less expensive.

Be careful where you walk, walk on the screw line or you will be through the asbestos roof, put a new metal one on in full length sheets,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived