IGNORED

Non Imm O-A from home country or SETV and TM.86 at Jomtien

Phuket_Butterfly

I have been reading up on some costs, reviewing some application forms, and trying to understand this visa crap as I begin to plan for retirement in Pattaya.

With my home Country being the USA, a Non-Immigrant O-A visa application is $200, a criminal record check will be of some unknown cost and headache, a medical certificate from the doctor will probably be close to $100 plus and lab fees if they run some blood tests, four passport photos which is probably gonna be near $20. Notary fees at probably $10 or more per page and there are requirements that the bank statements, police records, and the medical certificate all must be notarized.  The fees and headaches seem to add up here very fast.  I don't see this being done with much ease for less than $500 when you start to add in postal costs of mailing my passport securely since I don't live near a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Now I compare the above to applying for a $40 SETV which has relatively little application headache.  Then doing a TM.86 application for change of visa at Jomtien to obtain the Non Imm O-A.  From what I understand, it's not much of a hassle or cost to get the medical certificate in Thailand. Is there even a criminal record search requirement when you're already in Thailand?  There does not seem to be a notary requirement.  Stupid stuff like passport photos are way cheaper than in the USA.  The TM.86 fee is just 2000 baht.

So what am I missing here???  Why is it worth the time, expense, and tremendous headache to get the Non-Imm O-A in the USA?

It isn't.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

It would be better to get a single entry Non-O than an SETV if possible. No police check or med cert required.

Then you can skip the step of doing the TM 87 and just do the TM7 for a one year extension of stay.

There are no med cert of police checks required in Thailand. The main concern would be the monetary proof.

It would be better to get a single entry Non-O than an SETV if possible. No police check or med cert required.

Then you can skip the step of doing the TM 87 and just do the TM7 for a one year extension of stay.

There are no med cert of police checks required in Thailand. The main concern would be the monetary proof.

A single entry Non-Imm O-A does not seem to be an option in the USA http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

The description of the other Non-Immigrant visa types to which I do not seem to fit http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

A single entry Non-Imm O-A does not seem to be an option in the USA http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

The description of the other Non-Immigrant visa types to which I do not seem to fit http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

Not a Non- OA. 

A Non-O is different. On their website it would be:

- Other activities (Category “O”)

They may only be willing to do The "OA" if you're over 50 but they can issue a single entry Non-O if they want. You might try contacting one of the honorary consulates .

After looking at the LA Consulate site and the Embassy site it seems that there is no mention that a single entry Non-O can be issued to someone over 50 vice a Non-OA. If so it's strictly a local policy.

You might try calling the Honorary consulate in Portland. If it can be done they would probably be easier to deal with

Thai Honorary Consulate General, Portland, Oregon

Phone: 503-221-0440. Email: [email protected]

If it does turn out that their policy is not to issue a Non-O since the OA is an option my apologies for giving a bad recommendation. In that case your Plan B is doable.

Archived