IGNORED

New(?) Visas and/or rules ?

sulu

Problem is mainly people under 50 as Thailand doesn't have reasonable options IMO . 

1. Tourist visas but after so many it gets harder and harder to obtain them (other than from your home country) . 

2. ED visa ... sorry i'm not in Thailand to go to school . 

3. Elite visa ... 500k is a bit rich .

Over 50 things get more easy with the retirement visa though the rules are changing all the time what can

be annoying .

All this while neighboring countries make things easier and easier for long time stay . Cambodia for example ,

pay 280$ a year to a visa office and they sort it for you . Don't even have to go yourself , don't have to leave

the country , don't have to report so many times a year , don't have to hand in a ton of paperwork , etc . 

True, yet thousands of farangs still prefer Thailand. Go figure.

My guess is Thailand knows it is much more attractive than most other SE Asia destinations for farang tourists and therefore that they have little incentive to make it easier than it already is for them to live here on documentation intended for shorter term tourists.

scubascuba called it a double entry visa. I don't know WHAT you call it. I explained it was a single piece of paper with 2 entries permitted.

Now you seem to be calling it a "single visa permitting 2 entries". scuba called it a double entry visa. I explained it as a single piece of paper allowing 2 entries.

So OK, a single visa with 2 entries permitted,,,, IS NO MORE,,,,,, at least not at the Thai Consulate, in Miami, as of last Thursday. Today ? Who knows ?

So........back to the beginning......look at the requirements for the METV and if you can get the docs apply for that at Miami

Problem is mainly people under 50 as Thailand doesn't have reasonable options IMO.

I would disagree. If you are 30 or 40 yo and can offer to live in Thailand without working, surely you can offer an Elite Visa, or buy a nice condo and get an Investment Visa.

Over 50 things get more easy with the retirement visa though the rules are changing all the time what can be annoying.

Myth. Rules for Retirement extensions didn't change for years, and it's very fast and easy to get extensions.

Bottom line is many of the complaints about the Thai Visa rules is rooted in people misusing them as a means for living semi-permanently in Thailand.

Although I agree with your sentiments, surely this is an advantage for Thailand as the longer someone stays in any country the more money is spent. That can't be a bad thing?

scubascuba called it a double entry visa. I don't know WHAT you call it. I explained it was a single piece of paper with 2 entries permitted.

Now you seem to be calling it a "single visa permitting 2 entries". scuba called it a double entry visa. I explained it as a single piece of paper allowing 2 entries.

So OK, a single visa with 2 entries permitted,,,, IS NO MORE,,,,,, at least not at the Thai Consulate, in Miami, as of last Thursday. Today ? Who knows ?

Ok so just to clarify. You had all the documentation they required for a METV and they would only give you a single entry.

So........back to the beginning......look at the requirements for the METV and if you can get the docs apply for that at Miami

Ok so just to clarify. You had all the documentation they required for a METV and they would only give you a single entry.

I was at the Thai Consulate in Miami. I applied for a 2/double entry visa, NOT an METV They changed the 2 to a 1 and, in addition, told me METV was no longer available.

Friday I left a phone message and sent 2 separate emails to the Thai EMBASSY in D.C. asking for clarification. I suppose if I CAN just fly to Phnom Penh, stay there for 2 or 3 days and get another 60 day SETV for Thailand, even as an American, that won't be the worst thing - just have to make sure of that first.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Although I agree with your sentiments, surely this is an advantage for Thailand as the longer someone stays in any country the more money is spent. That can't be a bad thing?

Not always, another couple of oafish quality tourists

http://pattayaone.news/en/british-nationals-caught-shoplifting-family-mart/

I doubted at first that they are Brits because they are both wearing shirts.

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm here now for just over 60 days and it's time to make my plans to get out of Dodge and return to Pattaya.

I am looking again into ACMECS. It is a single visa that allows 1 entry into Cambodia and 1 entry into Thailand. This so that I won't have to wait in line at Phnom Penh for a visa (on arrival ?) and I won't have to apply and go back to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh to get the tourist visa to come back into Thailand. 2 birds, 1 stone.

There is however, a dearth of information about it. The Thai Embassy in Cambodia has information on it but doesn't tell one how to actually OBTAIN one. I can't even FIND the Thailand Embassy's official website in Thailand anymore.

Anybody know anything about this particular ACMECS visa ? Where/How to get ?

TIA

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

You are meant to be able to get it at any Thai or Cambodian Embassy or Consulate with the same requirements as a 'normal' Tourist Visa.

I've heard very little about it but I THINK it was meant to end this year - unless it's been extended??

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived