IGNORED

Trafficking of women

Denis903

Vanishing in China

A 2013 UN report into the trafficking of women from northern Laos found a "significant number" had disappeared inside China.

The report was released by the United Nations Inter-­Agency Project on Human Trafficking and written based on data collected in partnership with the Lao Academy of Social Sciences in late 2011.

It explored patterns of human trafficking related to China in the two northern Lao provinces of Luang Namtha and Phongsaly.

A total of 14 out of the 22 villages visited, with populations numbering a few hundred, reported as many as nine such trafficking cases each. In six of the 14 villages, the reason given was for marriage to men from China, however, the report added that the number was likely to be higher.

View the full article

I find it truly unbelievable that this kind of story can still occur in 2016.

I try to imagine the lives of these young women. And their families who must worry about them.

Horrible!

while i know these things happen, and most likely more than we know.

And we should do what we can to stop these things from happening, but...

I just dont get why a news site makes a new article based on 3 year old report, which is based on 5 year old data.

I know there are people working to fight human trafficking, and i seem to remember it was last year that a rather large human smuggling ring was uncovered in thailand (or in asia/SE asia atleast).

If they had something new to add to the reports it would be one thing, but they only reference to old reports/data.

Just seems counter productive to me.

---------------------------
Here we go!!!

• 1 month later...

keep in mind, many of these women eagerly travel outside of thailand for "work". They are fully informed and do so willingly, knowing the score full well. 

They are not victims, they are volunteers.

keep in mind, many of these women eagerly travel outside of thailand for "work". They are fully informed and do so willingly, knowing the score full well.

They are not victims, they are volunteers.

You are not talking about the same thing. This is girls being snatched to be Chinese brides because china has 30 million more men than women and it's basically impossible for them to find a mate unless they are wealthier than YOU are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

A large number of males outside the tier 1/2/3 cities have been known to buy a wife from VN or Cambo, have a male child with her and sell her to another farmer, a factory, or into prostitution.. The farmer sees good value in this. It is, in many cases, cheaper to import than pay the dowry. Also the females from the aforementioned countries are often told that will be getting a nanny job or some such. Being kidnapped, papers confiscated and forced into sex work is far from their none too sophisticated dreams of a better life. Yeah, unfortunately this shit still goes on.

You are not talking about the same thing. This is girls being snatched to be Chinese brides because china has 30 million more men than women and it's basically impossible for them to find a mate unless they are wealthier than YOU are.

Which is why it's such a disaster that the term 'trafficking' has been misappropriated to include voluntary workers, as it trivialises the vast difference between the two groups.

• 2 weeks later...

Which is why it's such a disaster that the term 'trafficking' has been misappropriated to include voluntary workers, as it trivialises the vast difference between the two groups.

The definition of trafficking used by the UN, the US government and most other governments makes it irrelevant whether the "victim" consents to being "trafficked" or not. The applicable laws and international treaties make no distinction between voluntary and involuntary participation in providing sexual services. What most of us would regard as "facilitation of prostitution" across borders is considered human trafficking under the law.

I have encountered women from Laos and Cambodia working in bars in Pattaya and have seen the Africans and Uzbek streetwalkers. I doubt any of those women are being forced to work in P4P. It's more that likely they have earlier experience from P4P in their home countries, although the Africans and "istan" hookers will probably have been misled regarding the amounts they can earn and the conditions under which they have to work.

The only time I've ever seen women who I believed were forced into prostitution was at the Arizona Market in Bosnia in the late 1990s (Google Arizona Market if you haven't heard about it.) I have read some convincing reports of Chinese and Latin American women who thought they were being smuggled into North America or Europe to work in factories but ended up in brothels.

Under the law, though, it's all trafficking.  According to the Philippines' anti-prostitution law, a punter who pays bar fine or the girl's fees is guilty of trafficking.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Under the law, though, it's all trafficking.  According to the Philippines' anti-prostitution law, a punter who pays bar fine or the girl's fees is guilty of trafficking.

Evil

The most perverse thing about the Philippines law, is how the waitresses on 120pesos/day salary, can and do get convicted of these laws and get jail time. One waitress I know of had 2 (might have been 3 years) in jail, no reduction in sentence. The waitress was every bit as much 'trafficked' into that line of work (under this loose definition), cops 3 years in jail. Doesn't sound like justice to me. Rather the opposite, it's punishing a 'victim' of trafficking, given many waitresses barfine just the same as dancers, it's only a technicality (handling cash) that sets them apart from the dancers.

Archived