IGNORED

Complete photography novice looking for advice.

Drewbrogan

Hi all,

As mentioned above I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything photography related. I have been lucky enough to travel a lot in my life and have hardly any pictures to memorialise this so have decided to remedy this.

After reading a lot on here and photography sites I've bought myself a Nikon D3200 DSLR camera as it was rated a decent entry level DSLR wherever I looked. I have opted for the kit with the AF-S DX VRII 18-55 mm lens.

Is this a good choice of camera for someone with no experience, and is it easy to use, and become confident/proficient with?

Also, I would greatly appreciate any tips, advice, books or courses anybody could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

wouldn't it have been better to ask that question before you bought the camera? I've got a Nikon P510 and its a fantastic camera.

If you're a total novice why not book a basic evening course at your local adult college?

YouTube is a great learning source for photography , but the great thing about digital cameras is trial and error doesn't cost like the old days of film

shoot photos in RAW format, get a copy of adobe photoshop.

taking good photos requires knowing when to take a photo and capturing the moment in an interesting way. That can't really be teached

Get the "for dummies" book they do them for all models , agree with the evening class idea

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

wouldn't it have been better to ask that question before you bought the camera? I've got a Nikon P510 and its a fantastic camera.

If you're a total novice why not book a basic evening course at your local adult college?

Thanks for the advice. I will look for a course, although I have noticed that most colleges in my area no longer offer an evening class.

After reading hundreds of personal/journal reviews and comparative reviews on entry-level DLSR's I had already narrowed my options to a few cameras. While out today I spotted the above camera at a great price so bought it. I was asking for personal experience and first hand knowledge in the above post. Reviews are unfortunately not very interactive when it comes to garnering specific advice.

Get the "for dummies" book they do them for all models , agree with the evening class idea

Thanks, I've just ordered one from Amazon. It's amazing what they do these ".... for dummies" books for nowadays.

I was going to recommend a great free beginners course but they now charge for it...lol

Udemy is a great place to learn stuff. They have a number of free courses to get you going: Free courses on Udemy. The course called The Ultimate Photography Course For Beginners looks like it would be a good starting point

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I am too late.

I would have suggested starting off with a good point and shoot and you might have found that it was all you needed to take nice photographs of what you wanted whether it was Temples or Thai girls.

Many with DSLR and lenses say they don't bother to bring them now.

Anyway that is my advice to others contemplating buying a camera.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Yes, You Tube is full photography how-to-do. Just enter what kind of camera you have. This well give you a start and then go out and practice what you have learned. You can also buy a book on your specific camera. They are a type of full size, in depth manual. Enjoy your new camera.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

As stated, youtube is a great start. Search for ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed for beginners. Practice lots with your camera , learn something new everyday. Try and use manual mode while learning/practising.

If you want to continue, I would get into lighting after the above. Google "Strobist" for a good start.

“Style is when they're running you out of town and you make it look like you're leading the parade.â€

-- William Battie

As stated, youtube is a great start. Search for ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed for beginners. Practice lots with your camera , learn something new everyday. Try and use manual mode while learning/practising.

If you want to continue, I would get into lighting after the above. Google "Strobist" for a good start.

I just want to point out that Youtube is a good place for information but it would be better to get a broad understanding of the components first before diving into Youtube. Something like the course I posted a link to would achieve this.

As for getting guides particular to the camera I think it is better to know what you want to do and then research how to do it on the camera. To start with there are very few controls that you will need to regularly adjust (ie zoom, aperture, exposure and iso). You will also need to know how to place the camera into aperture or exposure priority and manual modes. I normally use either aperture or exposure priority depending on what I am doing. Manual is good if you move into off-camera lighting.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

I have ordered the specific "dummies" book for the D3200, and found an evening class about 15 miles from me which starts in January.  I have also followed Scumbag's advice and got a Udemy account set up to do some courses.  On this point, what was the course that you noiw have to pay for Scumbag?  I have no problem paying for a course.

Thanks

On this point, what was the course that you noiw have to pay for Scumbag?  I have no problem paying for a course.

Thanks

It was one given by a guy called Karl Taylor. It looks like he has expanded it a bit into this: Master the 6 essentials to DSLR photography and start capturing incredible images

I just want to point out that Youtube is a good place for information but it would be better to get a broad understanding of the components first before diving into Youtube. Something like the course I posted a link to would achieve this.

As for getting guides particular to the camera I think it is better to know what you want to do and then research how to do it on the camera. To start with there are very few controls that you will need to regularly adjust (ie zoom, aperture, exposure and iso). You will also need to know how to place the camera into aperture or exposure priority and manual modes. I normally use either aperture or exposure priority depending on what I am doing. Manual is good if you move into off-camera lighting.

You could be right. That is the way I did it. Took night classes at a community college. Did some youtube before and lots after.

I have met some photographers who have done nothing but youtube and seemed quite satisfied.

Good link you posted, I'll check it out as well.

An esteemed board photographer, "Wrassel" also listed linda.com for learning. I've joined but haven't started the courses. He posted linda.com mainly for photoshop I think but I'm sure there are many other photography courses on there as well as many other subjects.

“Style is when they're running you out of town and you make it look like you're leading the parade.â€

-- William Battie

Most photographers are looking for SHARPNESS at least in one area of the photo.

BEGINNER MODE

Use tripod + self-timer

BASIC MODE

Lean camera against something hard, tree, wall, pole, ladyboy... yeah, u get it

Never "blip" the shutter button, press it like a trigger - firmly down all the way, don't release until shoot is taken

ADVANCED

Shoot on the far end of an exhale

Press both elbows against chest and hunch down

Move camera along the object (if object is moving)

PRO

DX AF 50mm /1.8 or the 35mm, 24mm, depending on your subjects. The differences in sharpness during same conditions will be STRIKING.

I would try to get your money back on the night course. There is a lot to learn when it comes to photography, but not much at all to learn when it comes to taking great pictures.

You either have "the eye" or you don't. If you go out and take 50 shots with a digital camera, you are bound to have a few that can be very, very good. That's where editing with software comes into play. Sometimes the whole shot in itself might not be so great, but a smaller portion of it can be fantastic. Always look for that.

People sometimes tell me what a good "photographer" I am, and I always correct them by saying, "I'm not a photographer, I'm just a guy with a camera."

I have a pretty decent DSLR, but my basic knowledge of it is how to turn it off and on. LOL. I do, however, know what makes a good picture. That's what you should try to learn. Do it by studying other people's work that you admire.

I know a lot of people will disagree with what I've said, but that's how I see it. Photography course? No, I don't think so.

I would try to get your money back on the night course. There is a lot to learn when it comes to photography, but not much at all to learn when it comes to taking great pictures.

You either have "the eye" or you don't. If you go out and take 50 shots with a digital camera, you are bound to have a few that can be very, very good. That's where editing with software comes into play. Sometimes the whole shot in itself might not be so great, but a smaller portion of it can be fantastic. Always look for that.

People sometimes tell me what a good "photographer" I am, and I always correct them by saying, "I'm not a photographer, I'm just a guy with a camera."

I have a pretty decent DSLR, but my basic knowledge of it is how to turn it off and on. LOL. I do, however, know what makes a good picture. That's what you should try to learn. Do it by studying other people's work that you admire.

I know a lot of people will disagree with what I've said, but that's how I see it. Photography course? No, I don't think so.

True to an extent but you must know the interplay between aperture and shutter speed and to a lesser extent iso. These are things that can not be properly edited in any software and an understanding can improve your photography immensely.

I think it is also more efficient to learn sp,e things from others. For example you should learn the effects of using a wide angle lens at a short distance from the subject as opposed to using longer lens from a greater distance. You can learn this through experience but it can be quickly demonstrated and is easy to understand.

The best way to learn is to do. I am a newbie like yourself really and found doing a course quite helpful. Knowing how aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance work just kind of helps when you are looking at an image. Sometimes it looks wrong and knowing why it is wrong will help you make good adjustments. This is why digital is so much better than film. You can make adjustments on the fly for the environment you are in. 

There are two types of people really. People who like to take photo's and photographers. Only when you start taking more images and then editing them will you know how deep your interest lies

People tend to give advice based on their own interest level or understanding but as they say in Thailand " up to you''

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me the gear is not that important when it's about photo, it's more about your eye to make the photo, but when I got bored of photo I wanted to jump in to video, there canon should be a safer choice! Video once it's been edit it makes a better memorie than just pictures.. at least on my opinion

You will discover the 18mm-55mm zoom will be giving you slow shutter speeds in low light situations.

A lens with an f stop f1.8 should be on your shopping list.

Keep an eye out for an 85mm f1.8 lens or the very inexpensive 50mm f1.8 and your shots should improve dramatically. Excellent portrait lens with those nice soft backgrounds.

It depends on your learning style, I normally teach myself how to do new things. And taking a class is a great idea. Then, it's lots and lots of practice. After you get comfortable shooting in manual mode and you are getting good results, then it's time to start shooting RAW and learn photoshop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived