IGNORED

Honda CBR250R, upgrade to 305cc with Takewaga

td5855

Can anyone help me.  

Bought this little Honda from an ex-pat who needed money quickly to go back to the UK.

Been riding it for a while and want some more grunt, seen on the internet the 305cc upgrade.  

Change barrel, piston, cams, ecu etc.  Cost is 35,000bhat.

But I get no reply to queries from Thai Bikes, Webike and Takewaga itself in Japan.

Since bike is 3 years old only being offered 40K on it as trade-in for the CBR500 (210,000), so holding onto it.  The 250 is 180,000 new.

I am a marine engineer, raced YDS7 Yahama's in 1979-1982.  Built a few specials so trust myself to do the job in my own worksop.

Please, if anyone out there can point me in another direction i would be grateful, since the direction I am looking is not successful. 

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Some Pics may help?

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Is 35000 the cost of the kit landed in Thailand? If you import yourself from Japan there may be some tax or duty payable.

Its a fragile engine ,wouldnt want to increase the power from it. The 300 is worse with all of them being recalled for failing crankshafts..  Sell it privately also they were never 180000 bht new . :GoldenSmile1:

wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy a CBR300 crank, piston etc from the local Honda dealer?

But maybe not.. Here a read..http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/6409-CRF-250-L-vs-CBR-300-R with parts list etc. 

Or do a conventional cam and port job?

Hi,

The CBR300 is only 286cc a jump of 40cc but you need to split the engine.  The 305cc is barrel, piston, cam change, you do not split the engine.  

I looked at that option since there are a few engines available, so a full swap could be done.  But engines are not cheap??

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

Is 35000 the cost of the kit landed in Thailand? If you import yourself from Japan there may be some tax or duty payable.

Webike Thailand will delivery it to my door for 29,898 bhat.  Any hidden extras, i not know about.

Its a fragile engine ,wouldnt want to increase the power from it. The 300 is worse with all of them being recalled for failing crankshafts..  Sell it privately also they were never 180000 bht new . :GoldenSmile1:

Honda kept the same barrel and piston but increased the stroke to go from 246 to 286cc.  It is that crankshaft that is the problem??

Doing the bigger barrel makes the engine rev higher so that again puts stress on the crank, which gives me concern.

Privately... offered only 50k, but they want my spare tyres and original exhaust thrown in.

When I got all the paperwork from the seller, with the mods done at the showroom, total cost were 178,999 otr.

With a new R3 and Ninja 300 costing 180,000bhat from Yahama/Kawasaki in Korat, agree the price was high.  But seeing the paperwork, what else can I say?

More strain on the engine for sure . Costing an extra 30,000 bht plus i think it is throwing money away myself.Try selling it privately and buy a bigger engine bike ,some bargins out there.

• 2 months later...

Bought myself a R3 from Yamaha in Korat, the Moto Gp edition for 195,000 bhat.  it is a 320cc twin and leaving my mate on my 250 CBR for dead. 

Now, I noticed that the Takewaga big bore kit to 305cc from 246cc was on special offer at Webike.  

Reduced from 35,000 to just under 28,000 went ahead and bought it, then got a note from the Post Office that I needed to pay extra.  Found tax was 5,140 bhat. Had all the work done in Korat and it took a while to set up the variable fuel programmer/ECU that is supplied with the kit.  Honda claim 25hp for the 250cc and Takewaga claim 35hp for the big bore 305cc.  Both these figures are at 9500rpm and I can quite believe it.  It powers out of corners better than stock and it will hit the redline easily in 6th.  But, vibration over 9500 is noticeably up, so worried about the crank and con-rod.  Decided to buy a 15T front sprocket to replace the original 14T that helped out greatly, cut vibration, cut fuel consumption and made better use of 3/4/5 gears when having fun.

But, now my speedo is wrong, indicated speed is taken from the G/box drive so speedo needs to be re-calibrated, more cost.  Some people may think I have thrown money away, maybe so but I like the physical size of the bike, it has Pirelli tyres fitted which gives good feedback.

I only paid 50K for it since the guy was desperate to sell it, I already had 2 bikes at that time so made a ridiculous offer which he took.  Add the 40K+ I have just spent' 6K for a straight through exhaust and I have a sporty/fun bike for around 100,000 which is not to bad.

Now where is the tuning bits for the R3 :GoldenSmile1:  :GoldenSmile1:  

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother. if you want more bike just get a bigger bike. I have boared out engines in the past and wound up to be more trouble than it was worth. If you are really set on it go see Rudy at the Mai Tai shop on soi Buahkhao, he has Thai kits and Japanese imports as well

I wouldn't bother. if you want more bike just get a bigger bike. I have boared out engines in the past and wound up to be more trouble than it was worth. If you are really set on it go see Rudy at the Mai Tai shop on soi Buahkhao, he has Thai kits and Japanese imports as well

Thanks for the advise, will pop in and see him next month.  Hope he has a few tricks for an R3

• 4 weeks later...

Webike Thailand will delivery it to my door for 29,898 bhat.  Any hidden extras, i not know about.

Webike Thailand aren't in Thailand !

So very prob import duty will apply - and it will be what they say or they won't release the parts...

Far better to get a bigger bike if you want more umph .....

Webike Thailand aren't in Thailand !

So very prob import duty will apply - and it will be what they say or they won't release the parts...

Far better to get a bigger bike if you want more umph .....

Far better for you to read the thread's correctly.

I paid Webike Thailand the advertised price.  It were the Thai Post office in Bamnet Narong that would not release it until further money paid.

I like the little Honda size and weight, you can through around.  Better to ride a small bike at up to 90-95%. Than a bigger heavier bike slower

Far better for you to read the thread's correctly.

I paid Webike Thailand the advertised price.  It were the Thai Post office in Bamnet Narong that would not release it until further money paid.

I like the little Honda size and weight, you can through around.  Better to ride a small bike at up to 90-95%. Than a bigger heavier bike slower

Agreed small is very often best...

Take the 139kg KTM duke 390 its a class leading 44hp stock - But with a KTM dealer re-map / air filter change, it puts out 50hp...

Pirelli Rosso 2 tyres as standard, WP USD suspension, Brembo brakes - You've got a formidable back street scratcher that goes round corners like a stunt bike, with a sense of urgency that's off the chart ....

It would trounce both the CBR250 and the 300 (or a 250 with a 300 conversion)  ....

Duke 28 oct 2016 027.JPG

20161019_172610.jpg

ktm bits 005.JPG

Agreed small is very often best...

Take the 139kg KTM duke 390 its a class leading 44hp stock - But with a KTM dealer re-map / air filter change, it puts out 50hp...

Pirelli Rosso 2 tyres as standard, WP USD suspension, Brembo brakes - You've got a formidable back street scratcher that goes round corners like a stunt bike, with a sense of urgency that's off the chart ....

It would trounce both the CBR250 and the 300 (or a 250 with a 300 conversion)  ....

Will a Thai dealer do a remap? If so, any idea how much it would cost? Dealers in the U.S. won't do it. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Will a Thai dealer do a remap? If so, any idea how much it would cost? Dealers in the U.S. won't do it. 

Yes - KTM dealer in BKK (Rama 4 - Sukomvit 26) charged me 3,000 Baht..

re-map 25 oct 2016 007.JPG

re-map 25 oct 2016 008.JPG

also fitted 43 tooth rear sprocket (original was 45 tooth)

Totally transforms the bike for very little outlay.....

Duke 28 oct 2016 011.JPG

Also got local engineering company to cut open the silencer and remove a few bits to make it sound a tad sportier than the "sewing machine" sound it came out of the factory with - cost was 800 Baht and zero prob with the Police as its not too loud and looks "original".....

Check out sound clip:

Looks good "Properperson".  Nice pictures.

Had a look at the KTM myself, but, with living 80+kms North of Korat, told that the closest dealer was Bangkok, so any problems would/could be problematic being so faraway.  

If I still lived Pattaya, would likely do the same as you and boosting the output.  When you feel comfy with a bike?  You always want that little more.  Agree changing tyres is a must, getting same tyres for the Yamaha, since the little CBR has them already and stock do not have same grip.  

You must get some buzz scratching around with it.  Out in the sticks up here, scratching is enjoyable.  You take care.

IMG_1036.JPGIMG_1037.JPGIMG_1038.JPG

Looks good "Properperson".  Nice pictures.

Had a look at the KTM myself, but, with living 80+kms North of Korat, told that the closest dealer was Bangkok, so any problems would/could be problematic being so faraway.  

If I still lived Pattaya, would likely do the same as you and boosting the output.  When you feel comfy with a bike?  You always want that little more.  Agree changing tyres is a must, getting same tyres for the Yamaha, since the little CBR has them already and stock do not have same grip.  

You must get some buzz scratching around with it.  Out in the sticks up here, scratching is enjoyable.  You take care.

The Yamaha MT03 / R3 are good competitors for the Duke 390 / RC390   ....

Below is an interesting test between the KTM and Yamaha:

r

The Yamaha MT03 / R3 are good competitors for the Duke 390 / RC390   ....

Below is an interesting test between the KTM and Yamaha:

Hello ProperPerson.  Interesting video.  I looked at the MT03 in Korat, but it was a ballcrusher, did not like the seating postion.  You always need feel comfy when enjoying the road/bike.  50hp out of you KTM must bring a big smile :-)

Hello ProperPerson.  Interesting video.  I looked at the MT03 in Korat, but it was a ballcrusher, did not like the seating postion.  You always need feel comfy when enjoying the road/bike.  50hp out of you KTM must bring a big smile :-)

tried sending you a message TD - but it says you don't accept messages !

Send me a pm and we can chat further....

tried sending you a message TD - but it says you don't accept messages !

Send me a pm and we can chat further....

Will do mate

• 2 months later...

This is more an update of my earlier post

This is my 2013 CBR250-R.  Bought it off a guy in Pattaya, 2014 who needed money quick.  Paid 50,000 Thai bhat.  Enjoyed it for what it could do but after a while I wanted more power leaving corners, overtaking and I wanted a bike that did not run out of power at 80ish mph / 135kph.  December 2016 bought the kit from Web Bike in Bangkok, cost 27,189 Bhat.  Owing to a family bereavement only got around to fitting it in March this year.  Mods done by Big Bikes in Korat Total charge for everything 13,000 bhat 

Have done the 305cc big bore kit, race cams and new fuel controller.  Straight through pipe (larger bore) and sport exhaust , sintered pads and pirelli  tyres .  Before it was only okay, but now what a difference.  On the dyno setting up the fuel controller, power is now 35.4hp @ 9640rpm from 26hp @ 8500rpm, that is a 26% boost from stock and you can feel it.  Yet the engine is only 19% bigger.  Have a 15T g/box sprocket that I can fit (stock 14T), garage advised to do that to help recover the alarming increase in fuel consumption.  

Not had it flat out yet but it spins up to 170kph/105mph quite easily, whereas before it would only go to 161kph on a gentle slope after being tucked in for a couple of Km's.  It now keeps up with my R3, but once the R3 gets it's tuning parts fitted and Pirelli tyres ......... well that is another story.

IMG_1315[1].JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the modded CBR.  Went away for a week and the GF son (21yrs) asked to borrow it... Okay with some reluctance.  Got a phone call??  Tank was dented, he were getting it fixed...  so, went to the garage and collected it.  Tank only had fumes inside and the front brake was toast.  Seals had burst, 600 baht to fix and 60 baht of petrol in tank.  Started the bike up and I could hear the engine over the straight through exhaust.  Told the GF that her son had hammered/raced the bike, so get on the phone to him and ask why.  His replies  "No petrol ..no money, he gentle with bike, he take care not race" why not take petrol from the two bikes I had given him free, reply "I use already, sorry".  My reply would not be printed in a family newspaper.  Told him about my concerns/fears for the engine and I knew what he had done 

So off I went, along the highway from Korat at 7200 rpm in 6th, went to overtake, dropped down to 5th and the engine up to 8600 rpm.... I could feel bad vibrations and the engine noise did not sound good........ 
Engine not happy at those revs, backed off and back into 6th. All quiet, but, a look in the mirrors, engine making a light blue haze. WTF.

Leaving the highway for the country roads, the noise and vibration were already giving me bad vibes. (As an ex-marine engineer, have a heightened senses for noise, heat and vibration above the norm).  Decided to go back to the garage, had only traveled 34 km's. Started to slow down and turn when the engine cut out and coasted to a stop.

Oil pouring out a blown seal. 
Fuming I called the girlfriend who called the garage, who came in a truck and took the bike back. 
Barrel and piston are toast, told there had been an earlier seizure, followed by the rings breaking up when I were riding the bike.

Garage have said they will fit original barrel and piston back. Keep the racing cams, controller and filter along with the big bore exhaust. Her son is 'Persona non grata' around me. 

I am livid, gave him 2 Jonway, 250cc twin tourers for nothing. Before I gave them made sure everything was good. one metallic purple and the other metallic grey. Now both are immobilised .... Why??   He wanted to modify/change the bodywork around. I have no idea what he has done nor interested. The girlfriend has told him that I am not lifting a spanner to help him, he has **** his bed.

I knew it were a bad idea to let a youngster loose on a modified bike that was not fully run-in, but, told he not crazy, so against my better judgement he were loaned the bike.  

IMG_1447.JPG

Archived