Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Travelers cheques

gogs007

Hi

The last time I was in Thailand there was lots of outlets to change cheques, I was wondering if that's still the case. During a trip to Singapore and Malaya it was very hard to get cheques cashed. Thanks

Not all the Banks cash sterling TCs , but there are a few ( K Bank for sure ) make sure you bring the highest denomination you can , £200 chqs

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

When I am in Patters the place I stay is THE SABAI RESORT on second road, near the BIG C, and I get my travellers cheques changed in a small bank thats inbetween THE BIG C and my hotel. However I have read that there is a lot of renovating going on at the Big C, and n videos I have seen the whole area seems to have been  surrounded with canvass. Can anyone tell me if the bank is still open , or is the whole area is closed off?

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up with travelers cheques.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

It's much easier to use your debit card at the ATM these days. TC's are being slowly phased out.

Using your debit card in LOS is expensive with all the charges and rate given that is usually 3-5 thb less than cash booths.

I've given up with travelers cheques.

Always offered at better rate than cash but but fewer places exchanging them and those that do it's often worsmadee coming through immigration. You also have to take into account the charges at purchase, just be brave and bring cash.

Always offered at better rate than cash but but fewer places exchanging them and those that do it's often worsmadee coming through immigration. You also have to take into account the charges at purchase, just be brave and bring cash.

Some uk banks don't charge to purchase travellers cheques. Krung Thai bank just charges 103 baht to change them to currency.

It's much easier to use your debit card at the ATM these days. TC's are being slowly phased out.

True  , they make it very easy to be hit by charges both ends if you don't have a Thai ATM card  though .

Mikeyboy 

Using your debit card in LOS is expensive with all the charges and rate given that is usually 3-5 thb less than cash booths.

I just found a load of  Sterling Travellers cheques at home i'd forgotten i had .  ( £200's )

Wondering whether to cash them in UK and take cash out , or swallow the 180 bt. cashing fee + stamp n LOS if the rate out there is higher .   

I forgot to look last month at comparisons as i only had cash with me at the time . 

Mikeyboy

I just found a load of  Sterling Travellers cheques at home i'd forgotten i had .  ( £200's )

Wondering whether to cash them in UK and take cash out , or swallow the 180 bt. cashing fee + stamp n LOS if the rate out there is higher .   

I forgot to look last month at comparisons as i only had cash with me at the time . 

Mikeyboy

If you can afford it take them and cash if it is too expensive/hard to cash in bring them home & cash them in. They also work as emergency funds. 

Mikeyboy

Mikey I just came back from Pattaya two weeks ago most of the banks charge 150 baht for cashing and 3 baht stamp fee. Krung Thai bank charge 100 baht + 3 baht stamp so full charge cashing cheques was 103 baht.That is also what they were charging in April. I changed my cheques either in Central festival or entrance to Tuckom where they have a branch.

KTB%20Logo(1).jpg

Thai banks provide a higher exchange rate for travellers cheques (TC) compared to cash.

On a $500 TC the fee is a wash as I receive more baht in my pocket after paying the fee than if I had exchanged $500 cash.

Mikey I just came back from Pattaya two weeks ago most of the banks charge 150 baht for cashing and 3 baht stamp fee. Krung Thai bank charge 100 baht + 3 baht stamp so full charge cashing cheques was 103 baht.That is also what they were charging in April. I changed my cheques either in Central festival or entrance to Tuckom where they have a branch.

attachicon.gifKTB%20Logo(1).jpg

Thanks for this info  ,  will certainly check them out .

I have a savings account with Kasikorn bank , but never change up anything with them as their rates are usually some of the lowest around.

Mikeyboy

• 4 weeks later...

For the future the travel cards I find are best way to go, transfer the money as you need it onto the card the remove cash from the ATM in pattaya. You get the daily exchange rates, I've been using Fairfax for years

Archived