Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The Sportsman pub, very dissapointed.

hggcraig

It seems to me that if the restaurant chooses to put things like pool tables near where people eat then it assumes responsibility for accidents that may happen with the pool table.

At the very least the manager should have investigated, assisted and provided a replacement drink and meal. At the prices they charge in there they can easily afford it: the real cost to them of a 300B meal there is probably well under 100B.

The pub should have replaced his meal and his drink, its their place and pool table therefore their fault.   Whether they charge the pool player or not is up to them, but should just eat it to keep both customers.

Really bad business to charge this guy

old restaurant saying and right on.   its very hard to get a customer and very easy to lose one              and when you lose one, you lose his friends too

Agreed , Pool table is the owners reponsibility , he should have known the pool balls could easily jump off the table at anytime . Not the customer's fault .

Yep, I totally agree with you

I eat at the Sportsman all the time, and it seems like it is a regular occurrence to have the pool players hitting the balls off the table in there. I try to sit away from the pool table because of this. First time I have heard of a ball hitting someone's meal though.

Sounds like if it does happen.............

..............you're snookered.  boom2.pngboom2.png

If the pool table was what I thought very near to an available table I would not have sat at it.

The guy whose pool ball hit the food offered to pay the tab

I really cannot see any liability to the the boss for what happened but I can see that if he was aware of it he should have said to the victim "You okay ?"

Dont think much of the food there anyway, overpriced and average at best, loads of better around.

The Sportsman is one of those places that offers insularity from a foreign country that its patrons find reassuring

Food from home, decorations and ambience the same.

Its a place for the people who travel but want to feel they haven't travelled far from home.

Not for me but its popular with people who dont really want Thailand to be a very foreign country.

Its a place for the people who travel but want to feel they haven't travelled far from home.

Id agree with this, it has its regulars. Last trip i was there for 4 odd weeks, everyday the same guys would be there on a table outside. Im sure they were there last trip too a year before.

As ive stayed next door ive been there a fair bit on those trips, convenient being right there for breakfast when one is a bit hungover 555. Also convenient to grab a quick dinner before going out.

Wouldnt say i go there because its familiar or like back home as the pubs inAustralia vary a lot, more because its become the norm for the group i go with to catch up there in the morning for tales of depravity the night before 555

If i stay in another soi next trip ill probably skip it unless im meeting a mate there or wwnt a guiness.

I have been a visitor to the Sportsman for years, I don't think I have ever had more that two or three words with the owner. Food was always good and the staff are great. I am sure this is more a communication issue than a bad management or service thread. 

I would have made that guy pay for my food, buy me a beer and play some pool with him.

New friend made and it's all good!

I have been a visitor to the Sportsman for years, I don't think I have ever had more that two or three words with the owner. Food was always good and the staff are great. I am sure this is more a communication issue than a bad management or service thread. 

Didn't his dad have The Sportsman in Soi Yodsak years ago ?

I used to go there every trip, quite often, and I don't think I ever spoke to him once !

You sat in silence mate.... What did you expect?

How can he ? The boss walked pass him without an apology .... He was shocked .

I used to go there every trip, quite often, and I don't think I ever spoke to him once !

Not sure but he was always pretty low key and not the type to interact with the customer but he has some great staff who do. 

Hi I am the Manager of The Sportsman , i have spoken to every member of staff today and it appears the incident occurred approximately ten days ago at night time , it was not me in the bar it was the owner , he recalls a broken glass near the pool table , and was not aware that the glass had been broken by the pool player , or that there was glass in your food , he says he assumed you had knocked your glass over {which is a frequent occurrence) and the girls had cleaned up the spilt drink , he says he was not made aware of the issue at all by yourself or the staff and would have replaced the meal or deducted the cost from the bin , i was alerted to this matter today by members of another forum , as we aren't members of PA and have signed up to respond , please accept our apologies and contact me via [email protected] so i can arrange recompense , the pool table is located 2m from the nearest table so i can only assume that the pool players where hitting the balls with some gusto

Once again apologies for the way this incident was handled but the owner/management were completely unaware of the detail , it might have been advisable to ask to see the manager/owner to resolve this on the day

Hi I am the Manager of The Sportsman , i have spoken to every member of staff today and it appears the incident occurred approximately ten days ago at night time , it was not me in the bar it was the owner , he recalls a broken glass near the pool table , and was not aware that the glass had been broken by the pool player , or that there was glass in your food , he says he assumed you had knocked your glass over {which is a frequent occurrence) and the girls had cleaned up the spilt drink , he says he was not made aware of the issue at all by yourself or the staff and would have replaced the meal or deducted the cost from the bin , i was alerted to this matter today by members of another forum , as we aren't members of PA and have signed up to respond , please accept our apologies and contact me via [email protected] so i can arrange recompense , the pool table is located 2m from the nearest table so i can only assume that the pool players where hitting the balls with some gusto

Once again apologies for the way this incident was handled but the owner/management were completely unaware of the detail , it might have been advisable to ask to see the manager/owner to resolve this on the day

the correct response.......all good I would think, unless he is out of town and needs a rain check

Have just spoken to our night shift , they seem to think that the guy who hit the ball payed your bin? regardless please contact me as per the previous comment , the waitresses say they know you and will point you out to myself or Dave so we can make recompense

the correct response.......all good I would think, unless he is out of town and needs a rain check

Awesome management response really as manager also just joined the board to address the issue.

Very very impressed.

There now absolutely top notch reply,I think a thank you is in order from yourself and apology for not reporting the incident to a member of staff at the time who may well have been able to sort it out amicably,before resorting to posting your issue on here :GoldenSmile1:

Yes he did and I knew him very well.  He was always friendly and the staff there were first class.  Food was excellent especially the breakfasts.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Yes he did and I knew him very well.  He was always friendly and the staff there were first class.  Food was excellent especially the breakfasts.

I agree Tony, I never had a bad meal in there during my trips spanning from 1991 to 2006.

I knew Jimmy Mac very well, if you remember him, so in those days Soi 6 was my regular haunt.

Have just spoken to our night shift , they seem to think that the guy who hit the ball payed your bin? regardless please contact me as per the previous comment , the waitresses say they know you and will point you out to myself or Dave so we can make recompense

GREAT responses, Darren!  Welcome to PA, and I hope you'll stay around and update us on happenings/specials/etc. at Sportsman!

I've been a big fan of the Sunday roast at Sportsman for quite some time, and look forward to having it again on my next visit.

Now if only he could make his staff as cheerful at 7 AM as I am.  Just kidding.  They love me and take great care of me.  None, Jazz and Som - love you all.     :GoldenSmile1:

Archived