IGNORED

Total cost of retirement visa

swordfisch

aussie guy, 51 wants to obtain retirement visa in thailand.

1. can i do this in australia painlessly? or even in pattaya?

do i need police reports etc etc? 

2. what would a specialty visa service charge me (roughly)?

3. i have the aud $30 k to plonk in a local thai bank, but would prefer not 2 if at all possible.

can i deposit the cash & then withdraw afta my visa is settled?

or would this void the terms of my stay?

any info appreciated

You first need a Non immigrant O visa , only obtainable outside Thailand . Australia or in one of the

Thailand surrounding countries like Laos . Don't try Cambodia as they will give you a lot of hassle . 

You need to convert the Non O to a retirement visa in Thailand (Bangkok or through Jomtien immigration) . 

Keep in mind you need 800K Bht in a Thai bank for at least 2 months before you can convert the Non O . 

You can take the money out after you get the visa but for an extension you need 800K again in a Thai 

bank for at least 3 months . 

There is also an income option, where you need to show an income of 65,000 Thai baht a monh. This can be from government, or private pension or other income source and usually has to be verified by your embassy

Or a combination of the 2.For instance

50000 ThB monthly income, 200000 on a Thai bank account.

The 200000 don't need to be on account 3 months.

aussie guy, 51 wants to obtain retirement visa in thailand.

1. can i do this in australia painlessly? or even in pattaya?

do i need police reports etc etc? 

2. what would a specialty visa service charge me (roughly)?

3. i have the aud $30 k to plonk in a local thai bank, but would prefer not 2 if at all possible.

can i deposit the cash & then withdraw afta my visa is settled?

or would this void the terms of my stay?

any info appreciated

I'm an Aussie and have a retirement visa. The best option, rather than put so much money in a bank account here is to prove that you are of retirement age and have an income of more than 65,000 bart a month ($AUD2,500) which I have. At the Australian embassy in Bangkok I do a stat declaration using the blank stat dec form they have giving my name, passport, date of birth details, address in Thailand and stating my monthly income in Thai bart. I sign in front of the embassy staff member, pay the 520 bart fee and it is witnessed and stamped. Along with the forms available on line, I use this stat dec along with copies of my passport, entry stamp etc to apply firstly to convert my tourist visa to a non immigration visa and then on the same day a retirement visa. You also need passport sized photos. You get a 3 month retirement visa at the start, then you apply again at the end for a renewal 12 month retirement visa. A bit of a rigmarole and a few fees along the way but worth it. You should also have a Thai phone number. When all finished make sure you also apply for a reentry visa so you can come home to see family or whatever and retain your retirement visa - I always pay the extra and get a multiple entry reentry visa.  You can do it all yourself or pay a visa agents 30,000 bart or more to do it all for you.

A Retirement Visa cost is 1900 baht for one year if its done correctly meeting the financial requirements mentioned above,however many people choose to use Agents here and the cost can be as much as 19,000 baht for an initial application............your choice  :Think1: 

Or a combination of the 2.For instance

50000 ThB monthly income, 200000 on a Thai bank account.

The 200000 don't need to be on account 3 months.

Correct  now for Jomtien soi 5, but there are reports from some other offices who ask also for the combination method 3 months ...(thaivisa.com.)

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

I believe that for your very first 1 year Extension of Stay that the money only needs to be in the bank for 2 months but for subsequent Extensions of Stay it's 3 months.

Reckon the reasoning is that if you come into Thailand for three months to start the process you get a month to open an account and wire in the money.

Ladyboy Review Forum http://www.ladyboyreview.com

All advice so far is about getting a one year extension of stay from a immigration office in Thailand. Commonly called "retirement visa".

Another option is a Non-Immigrant category OA visa (Non-OA) from the Thai embassy or a Thai consulate in Australia. This is also commonly called a "retirement visa" so sometimes the two get confused.

The Non-OA has more requirements such and police clearance, and maybe a medical cert., It requires proof of funds but does not require any money to be in a Thai bank.

RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Edit: The Non-OA forms and info are not on the page in the first link. Get it here:

Download Long Stay Visa Application (O-A Visa)

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/ListForms

Archived