IGNORED

The Rapid Method

Drewbrogan

I've heard off a number of people who tell me the easiest way to learn Thai is by learning to read first.  I completely ignored this advice of course, and have got by on my bar thinglish, and a massively underused ThaiPod 101 account.  After coming back in May I got the urge to learn again and thought I might try to follow the advice that I have been given over the years, and try to learn to read Thai script.

After surfing the web, and looking across the board I decided to have a closer look at this website:

http://j3.learnthaionline.com/index.php/about-the-rapid-method

I found this link in this thread:

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/5494-learn-thai-aids-not-lessons-and-essenial-links/

I started reading the literature and watching the videos on Tuesday night, and have probably spent about 6 hours in total since then on it. And the amazing thing is it works. I can now read quite a few different words and get the sounds fairly right. The problem I now have is that I don't understand what I am reading.

I have only tried the free introductory and foundation parts but I will definitely be spending some hard-earned on trying to expand my knowledge and understanding. For someone like myself who is very visual in the way I remember things I think this way of learning is fantastic. In less than 6 hours I have figured out how to spell my name in Thai script and easily recognise a few simple words.

The author also does workshops in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I am seriously considering one.

I can't recommend this website enough.

I think the best way is to learn a few sentences first listening how the Thais say it.

Then, when you can say a little learn to read Thai. It really is the best way to get the tones and vowel lengths right.

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Try downloading and printing off the marnee & marnar books.

Or, download the thai language grade 1 app which is the same as the marnee book 1.

The app doesn't have a lot of the additional material that the printed version has, but it's worth a look.

It starts off very easily, with the simplest vowels and gets more complex as you go through it.

Thank you very much for your input.  I will download both of them books, and I've also been told to learn the 'chang song' as it helps.  This may just be the TGF taking the piss though lol. I can actually speak quite a few basic sentences and I try to learn as much as I can, but I have always found reading anything impossible. 

Thanks for any and all input

The problem I now have is that I don't understand what I am reading.

Don't worry about that at this point. If you do learn some meanings along the way that is great but being able to sound out the words is the important part of the program.

Try downloading and printing off the marnee & marnar books.

After you have learned the alphabet this is a good next stop. You can download the books here.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Cheers for that mate.

I've downloaded them and will definitely move onto them when I have learned the alphabet properly. I can already notice quite a difference in the way I sound out the words.  I don't think I am anywhere near good yet but i don't sound like i'm trying to chew through my own cheek anymore either. Being able to see(or hear) a noticeable difference is a massive motivator.

I'm very seriously considering a 6 month sabbatical from work and getting an ED visa.

Take a look at the thai English talking dictionary from paiboon publishing. It's on the Google play store and the Apple one.

It covers all of the vowel forms, their sounds and the way that some of them are modified depending on whether the thai word is closed or open. The vowels are, imo, without doubt the most difficult part of written Thai.

It also breaks down the spelling and sound of every single thai word.

It's not a stand alone learning app, but used in conjunction with a more formal text as mentioned previously, it is invaluable.

It costs about £15 from memory and it is worth every penny.

I'll see if I can include a screen shot.

eedfddefa60109b7bc8c0474f0bb9ad9.jpg

Here you can see how the vowel form may change from อะ to อั which would otherwise be very confusing.

Another BM posted about this in another thread. With the tones it is useful to plot the tone you are producing on a screen. You can then see if you are doing it correctly. I haven't been able to get this to work but try Voice Viewer

Capture.JPG

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks Scumbag and BaldPlumber,

I'm going to try both of them. 

Combined with ThaiPod101 and the course I'm going to sign up to from the original post I hope that will set me in good stead.

If anyone has any more tips then please let me know.

Thanks again everyone

Archived