IGNORED

My Girlfriend Wants to Learn English?

Ben Carter

Last night spoke with my girlfriend about improving our language skills. Her Thai and my English. But, after a heated debate, we decided to try it the other way round (the language skills that is), So we will try and improve her English and my Thai.

Word of the day is:

Timetable (as we need to set a strict timetable to make this work)

dtaa-(M) raang-(M) waeh-(M) laa-(M)

Don't pronounce the M at the end of each word. I think this is to identify this as a Mid Tone Word.

Have a question - Anywhere in Pattaya we can buy some decent teaching material? Student Books - Teacher Books - Tapes/CD's etc? 

Also - Anyone have any tips on the best way to teach girlfriends English. Or will this end in divorce?

With your Thai there are many resources online.

If you are serious about learning Thai I think it is best to start in the correct place and learn the Thai alphabet. I know it is a scary thought but it is not as difficult as you think if you pick a good technique to learn it. You could have a look at Learning Thai the Rapid Way and see if it fits your learning style. The video below is their introductory video to demonstrate the technique.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

With your Thai there are many resources online.

If you are serious about learning Thai I think it is best to start in the correct place and learn the Thai alphabet. I know it is a scary thought but it is not as difficult as you think if you pick a good technique to learn it. You could have a look at Learning Thai the Rapid Way and see if it fits your learning style. The video below is their introductory video to demonstrate the technique.

Thanks - That was quite funny. But does it really work.

A few years ago I did a Callan an Wallin course up by Big C Extra and kind of understood the alphabet. But it's all gone now. Apart from the 1st letter. I would really like to get back into it.

Thanks - That was quite funny. But does it really work.

Try it for yourself! Study what is in the demonstration video and see how quickly you remember the characters. A good way of making it stick is to create flashcards (put the character on one side and the phonetics on the other side). See the pictures presented in the video in the characters to remember the sound.

Forgot that there was a free trial.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Put her in a bar ... she can practice her English all day (and night) long ...  :WinkGrin1: . 

Moon-Carter Language Training

Word of the day - Gossip - nin(M) thaa(M). Remember don't pronounce the Ms. They are there for the tone. M = Mid Tone i think.

Gossip - An important word in Pattaya. Think it happens a lot?

Put her in a bar ... she can practice her English all day (and night) long ...  :WinkGrin1: . 

That's where I practice my Thai!!

Try it for yourself! Study what is in the demonstration video and see how quickly you remember the characters. A good way of making it stick is to create flashcards (put the character on one side and the phonetics on the other side). See the pictures presented in the video in the characters to remember the sound.

Forgot that there was a free trial.

I forgot that you can be a practical man occasionally 55555

So you learned the lady boy version? 5555555

Moon-Carter Language School Update:

Word of the Day - Secret - khwaam(M) lap(H)

Ties in nicely with yesterdays word Gossip!

Brilliant thinking...wont cost him a baht and if she is a looker he could have her bringing back $$$$ after every shift

Brilliant thinking...wont cost him a baht and if she is a looker he could have her bringing back $$$$ after every shift

But what am I going to do all night?

Oh man!!!

Tones aren't just some annoying letters in brackets, that you don't read and skip them.

Thai has 5 tones. And every tone gives word a different meaning. For example maa can mean dog, horse, to come...depends which tone you will use.

If you want to learn thai you have to start with tones!

Here's my voice trying to say maa with 5 different tones.

LOW - MIDDLE - HIGH - FALLING - RISING

tones.png

23 24 25 26 27 28 years old farang & living in Pattaya north Thailand. :Finger4:

And I ride Kawasaki KSR only!

Oh man!!!

Tones aren't just some annoying letters in brackets, that you don't read and skip them.

Thai has 5 tones. And every tone gives word a different meaning. For example maa can mean dog, horse, to come...depends which tone you will use.

If you want to learn thai you have to start with tones!

Here's my voice trying to say maa with 5 different tones.

LOW - MIDDLE - HIGH - FALLING - RISING

attachicon.giftones.png

What program do you use to create the images? It's great seeing it as you can clearly see if the tone that you produced is correct or not.

What program do you use to create the images? It's great seeing it as you can clearly see if the tone that you produced is correct or not.

You can download that program here:  http://slice-of-thai.com/voice-viewer/

23 24 25 26 27 28 years old farang & living in Pattaya north Thailand. :Finger4:

But what am I going to do all night?

Fuck other girls of course ...  :WinkGrin1: . 

I opened youtube video (which is teaching you how to speak tones) and let my speakers play into a microphone.

It isn't very clear. But you can still see the pattern.

Really good software.

MIDDLE - LOW - FALLING - HIGH - RISING

test.png

learningthaihelp - Thanks for that.

Have a question for you. Where in Pattaya can I buy something to help me teach English. A proper course with books and CD's etc. Also the teacher book that goes with the course? Just looked in Central Festival but couldn't find anything. 

Any ideas?

Central festival has a huge selection of learning thai related books. Some comes with CDs etc. Theres a big store at 3 or 4 floor (side closer to the second road). In front of store are just CD/DVD, but inside is a big selection of books.

I bought there these two books.

14734071868461481110342.jpg

First book I bough at 2014, second at 2015. And this holiday, in 2016, that book shop was still there... .

First book I bough at 2014, second at 2015. And this holiday, in 2016, that book shop was still there... .

It was even there in 2013 , 2012 , 2011 , 2010 , 2009 ... 

Central festival has a huge selection of learning thai related books. Some comes with CDs etc. Theres a big store at 3 or 4 floor (side closer to the second road). In front of store are just CD/DVD, but inside is a big selection of books.

I bought there these two books.

attachicon.gif14734071868461481110342.jpg

I've tried both those books. 

In 1994 I tried the linguaphone course. Didn't enjoy it

The best thing I did was a Callan and Walan course. 20 hours in a classroom with about 6 others. 

But my main priority is to teach my GF English. 

So does anyone know where I can buy decent teaching materials in Pattaya for teaching English?

Word of the Day - Surprise- bpra(L) laat(L) jai(M)

Word of the Day - Surprise- bpra(L) laat(L) ja(iM)

You're not doing it correctly. You are supposed to learn the naughty words first....lol

ตด = dtoht(L) = fart or slang for bum.

If you wanted to try a different way to learn you could try something like High Speed Thai or on Youtube through people like Learn Thai with Mod (who is pretty cute).

You're not doing it correctly. You are supposed to learn the naughty words first....lol

ตด = dtoht(L) = fart or slang for bum.

If you wanted to try a different way to learn you could try something like High Speed Thai or on Youtube through people like Learn Thai with Mod (who is pretty cute).

Dtoht. Hear that a lot along with Jep!

But we really going to try and do this. I want her to get a degree in English

Dtoht. Hear that a lot along with Jep!

Yeah the two go together when you put it in the wrong hole....lol

Moon - Carter English Update.

Sunday we started the English training programme. Two hours with the DK English For Everyone Level 4 Advanced. A complete Self-Study Programme where you can log into the web site for Audio. I think I can help her with about 20 hours a month to start with. The aim is that she gets an English Degree.

I know what you're thinking and yes, a BJ degree might be better, but we will try this and see where it leads.

Word of the day:

Assistant phuu(F) chuay(F)

Archived