IGNORED

Jellyfish in Koh Chang?

curli

In 2003 I spent some days in Koh Chang. Great. I liked swimming in the sea. My favourite place was Lonely Beach.

But one time my girlfriend come back from swimming and have hurt on arm. Then I saw arm getting red.

I thought can be from jellyfish. I went to check the water and I saw many small jellyfish.

Because I want go to Koh Chang next year again, I'm interested in some news.

Of course I read about BLUE Jellyfish in the south. There must be very danger!

Welcome to the forum mate... I hear urine sorts out jelly fish stings a treat :Ass_Lick:

I went to Koh Chang not to long ago and we didn't see any jelly fish, we did see some white whales that originated from Farangland, it was a bit scary after getting used to being near pattaya, with skinny sexy birds always around.

Apart from pissing on your girl friend, which may be frowned upon, vinegar is also excellent for taking the pain away from Jellyfish stings.

Have never been to Koh Chang but have been to Koh Samet. Say Jelly fish thier but they were of the non stinging variety according to the locals.

Testicles

Visited Koh Chang in April this year. Stayed at a few different places and didnt spot a single jelly fish.

Many misconceptions exist about what to do especially from people that have had no experience with them. There have been many treatments over the years as knowledge has evolved. The latest treatment for most stings is vinegar as stated above. This works for 99% of cases with the exception of a little known type, the Irakanji. where the latest thinking is to apply heat to counteract the Poison. There have been 2 deaths in the last few years here in australia that have been attributed to them.

There are also anti-venins available for the Box Jellyfish that is common in tropical waters. Best advise is to just make sure you do not dive into the water or run around, just swim gently with your hands in front. If stung you can limit the area effected to your arms which whilst painful in most cases will not be life threatening

• 1 year later...

Are there many Box Jellyfish in Thailand's waters? I was in Hua Hin a couple of months ago, went into the water but left after I saw a lot of jellyfish there. I asked a girl on the beach if they were poisonous and she said yes, but that if I mixed a weed growing on the beach with Thai whiskey and put it on the wound that I would be OK. I decided I would be even more OK if I ust didn't go back into the water. Please excuse my ignorance on this, I am from the nothern U. S. and don't have to deal with this at home. As a matter of fact, the water is so cold that many people don't even bother going in. Any info would be great.