IGNORED

50 Years Since England Won World Cup

Ben Carter

Just had breakfast in O'Garas and caught up with UK Friday Newspapers which were full of England winning the world cup in 1966. Well the one I read was.

Great pictures, comments and memories.

Two of my favourites.

Geoff Hurst - To make sure his third goal had counted he came out of the dressing room, after it all ended, to check the big scoreboard.

Alan Ball - He had a telegram from his dad that said simply. Be Magic Little Man. And he was.

Also Nobby Stiles, dancing around the pitch at the end, maybe one day Daniel Sturridge can try that dance.

So the question has to be. When will England win the world cup again? 

I can't see Big Sam winning the World Cup for England . To win the World Cup , they must need a quality and strong coach , not afraid to drop a player like Rooney .

Great times now just history to most Missed this one by a year or two, the next one not in my lifetime.

One unwritten rule I would like to see is a controversial one is a maximum of 3 players from one team in the squad. Players are notoriously clcky and that leads to splits in the dressing room,  loads of players from one team makes it worse. It didn't work at England with Liverpool in the 70s and it didn't work with Arsenal in the mid 30s or late 80s...it sure isn't going to work with tottenham in the 2010s.

Great times now just history to most Missed this one by a year or two, the next one not in my lifetime.

One unwritten rule I would like to see is a controversial one is a maximum of 3 players from one team in the squad. Players are notoriously clcky and that leads to splits in the dressing room,  loads of players from one team makes it worse. It didn't work at England with Liverpool in the 70s and it didn't work with Arsenal in the mid 30s or late 80s...it sure isn't going to work with tottenham in the 2010s.

I think Spain and Germany would like a word with you.  Core of teams were FCB and BM.  Just need better players.

And still whinging over the 'Hand of God'. 

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

And still whinging over the 'Hand of God'. 

Peter Shilton might be. I think many others have let that go now!

Home advantage in 66 was obviously a great help but personally I thought the 70 team was better. A shocking managerial decision against Germany cost England plus Brazil, considered by most to be the best international team ever, were lucky to beat England.

As for the future, who knows? Not enough homegrown players in the BPL is my view but if Portugal can win the Euros then anything is possible.

so what was lucky about the brazil win?

Perhaps I should have said England were unlucky as opposed to Brazil lucky. I remember Jeff Astle missing an absolute sitter, Franny Lee likewise and Alan Ball hitting the bar.

Brazil had one clear chance which they took…that's football.

I also think Brazil have been the best international team I have seen but I believe England were the better side that day. BTW I am not English so not jumping on any Ingerland bandwagon, just saying it as I saw it

saw the game todat and england had 6 shots towards the goal one hit the bar as you said bobby charlton had 2 shots  one about 3 meter wide and one 3 meters over the crossbar,two shots straight at felix and one  just outside the bar

brazil had one goal and one header from pele that banks did a good save on +he had 2 more decent save to do.tqake off the english glasses and have a look again

what stop  england is not bad luck just bad execution of their chanses

Can't think why with the amount of money they get.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

I think Spain and Germany would like a word with you.  Core of teams were FCB and BM.  Just need better players.

I think the English players lifestyle is very different. A clique of 4-5 players who go clubbing on nights off will stick together...a bit of them and us

When Fabregas came to Arsenal at a very young age he was astonished at the lifestyle of the slightly older players, as he used to go for a meal with his girlfriend and go home even when he hit the tender age of 18-21. The likes of vAshley Cole were often seen falling out of China White(London Nightspot) and turning up for training worse for wear.

See you all again here in 2066

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

You may be right.  Barcelona definitely has a reputation as a "school boy" club.  Neymar's partying this year has caused a ruckus with the socios. 

I think the English players lifestyle is very different. A clique of 4-5 players who go clubbing on nights off will stick together...a bit of them and us

When Fabregas came to Arsenal at a very young age he was astonished at the lifestyle of the slightly older players, as he used to go for a meal with his girlfriend and go home even when he hit the tender age of 18-21. The likes of vAshley Cole were often seen falling out of China White(London Nightspot) and turning up for training worse for wear.

• 1 month later...

The next time England win the world cup there will be nobody left alive on the planet who witnessed the 1st time.

Archived