IGNORED

Fast Broadband patts?

Birdsong

Im looking to move to patts feb for 6 months or a year, but need to be able to get a fast broadband connection so I can trade on line to make money, doesn anyone know if thats possible and whats areas in patts are best to look at for this?

The question is not so much fast as reliable, and in that respect they all have their off days. You could get a connection on a landline but it's a hassle even with the right visa, so that only leaves you with the wi-fi option from your apartment (assuming it has one).

The only other option I can think off is using an edge capable mobile phone, but d/l speeds would be much slower of course.

Be scene and not herd.

The question is not so much fast as reliable, and in that respect they all have their off days. You could get a connection on a landline but it's a hassle even with the right visa, so that only leaves you with the wi-fi option from your apartment (assuming it has one).

The only other option I can think off is using an edge capable mobile phone, but d/l speeds would be much slower of course.

Thanks for the reply, but it must be a land line fast connection, I have been told that you can get round the visa problem and that south pats has fast connection and north patts slow, thats all ive been able to find so far on line.

If you have a multi-entry non-immi O visa then you could get your own number and line from TT&T, though obviously the further away you live from the exchange then the slower the connection will be. South Patts would be the ideal area.

Be scene and not herd.

• 1 month later...

CAT's a little bit more expensive than the others but I've found it to be well worth the extra money, reliable and fairly quick, at least on thepprasit, Walking Street and soi buakaow.

Edited by hamlek

net conections are hopeless here

i mean, in the uk it's like 50 people on one line max, here, i'm sure it's 10 times that. In the evenings on a 200 KB/s connection i get around 15KB/s

• 1 month later...

If your using it for on line trading then your in deep trouble due to the frequent outages.

Speed is abysmally slow half the time and very slow the rest of the time.

The number of co subscribers on any line is way to high and I suspect with so many people in Pattaya having time on there hands there is a lot of down loading of streams of content that makes it all much worse.

If you need a land line for a fixed IP then you will probably need to go to one of the SME packages that will set you back around 15,000 baht a month the last time I checked.

If you are just thinking of speed issues, then EDGE is very good. Because its not shared with 50 other customers teh real trough put is better and it seems very reliable.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to check, in Pat or Bkk is it posible to get a very fast landline connection? I'd need to split the connection between computers and also use it for video conferencing back to the UK.

Many thanks.

There's a satellite service you could use but it to is pricey! But when your caught between a rock and a hard place......

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

• 2 weeks later...

Edge is always a good backup when the lines are down... 256/56

WiFi in condos is ok when most people are out, but will be slow if to many are downloading torrents or such.... I sometime use the "pringle can wifi signal boost" method to access signals further away.

I am waiting on my 5mb line to be activated, but it seems to be an impossible task for them...

Also remember that support will be non-existent as the counter staff (fems) who have no tech background will be managing the calls and will always have a "tech man will call you back" type response for you. They never do !!!

Apart from that... The Pigeon service is reliable, normally after lunch or dinner time, when the thais are not hungry

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

Im looking to move to patts feb for 6 months or a year, but need to be able to get a fast broadband connection so I can trade on line to make money, doesn anyone know if thats possible and whats areas in patts are best to look at for this?

I have 4m broadband in my house. I live in South Pattaya on a quiet housing estate uptowards Threppassit Road. Ive had maybe one problem in the last 5 months which was the internet going off for about 30 minutes during a terrential downpoar. This is very common in Pattaya during rainy season. Other than that its been marvelous. I use TT&T who have an office in Carrefoure where you can get set up. There was no Visa implications to deal with although you may struggle to get a 6 month contract. I have a 12 month contract and all i needed was some proof of address. The contract i made and signed for my house agreement was good enough for them along with your passport and I was online after 7 days of my first payment.

Im sure 4m is the fastest you can get here at the moment and i pay 2500bht a month for it, its certainly worth it if your work relies on it! Also i think there was a service charge of around 300bht to connect me, they do this by calculating how far your property is from their nearest service box. It works out at around 15bht a metre but you get something like the first 300 metres free. I cant remember exactly but they'll explain that to you but at least you know to expect it.

Anymore info dont hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
I have 4m broadband in my house. I live in South Pattaya on a quiet housing estate uptowards Threppassit Road. Ive had maybe one problem in the last 5 months which was the internet going off for about 30 minutes during a terrential downpoar. This is very common in Pattaya during rainy season. Other than that its been marvelous. I use TT&T who have an office in Carrefoure where you can get set up. There was no Visa implications to deal with although you may struggle to get a 6 month contract. I have a 12 month contract and all i needed was some proof of address. The contract i made and signed for my house agreement was good enough for them along with your passport and I was online after 7 days of my first payment.

Im sure 4m is the fastest you can get here at the moment and i pay 2500bht a month for it, its certainly worth it if your work relies on it! Also i think there was a service charge of around 300bht to connect me, they do this by calculating how far your property is from their nearest service box. It works out at around 15bht a metre but you get something like the first 300 metres free. I cant remember exactly but they'll explain that to you but at least you know to expect it.

That's great you can get at good connection. What are the average speeds in the hotels that include wireless. I would think it would be quite good as the hotel should have a connection like yours.

Edited by miker

CATS 2mb connection is OK from a speed point of view (around 1800 a month). I know many of you would laugh at 2mb but its generally OK due to the lower user numbers.

As people have said before - if you are trading you need to worry about outages more than speed.

Basically it cuts frequently for a few seconds at a time but it also cuts for longer periods when it rains. Likewise electricity short-outs especially when it rains - these are usually a split second but it will turn your com off. Make sure you get a battery breaker for that.

If you have to make instant decisions then all domestic services here will probably present problems for you.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Sound advice but just to be clear - TT&T does cut frequently, they cant control the weather. Usually just a second or two at a time (i.e. a "hang not a cut") so most people will not even notice that it happened. However for "trading" it might be inconvenient to say the least.

I have lived in Pattaya for 4 years and I trade stocks and futures for a living. I would suggest that you find a hotel or condo that already has the internet installed. I tried to get it installed in a condo 2 years ago and after 6 weeks it still was not working properly. TIT. Don't trust the hotels who say their internet is reo reo. They lie most of the time. Take your laptop with you and bring up an internet connection speed test website and check the speed yourself.

Once you have found a hotel/condo that has satisfactory speed, next find at least 2 internet cafes nearby that are open 24 hours. As you know the U.S. markets are open until 3 or 4 am depending on daylight savings time. You need the all-night internet cafes as backup, because your hotel connection WILL GO DOWN SOMETIMES - usually right in the middle of your riskiest trade!

Good luck.

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

Look a moment at this aticle in Pattay Newspaper

True 8Megab.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000009090

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Look a moment at this aticle in Pattay Newspaper

True 8Megab.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000009090

Great info Bro'

I have True TV and that 8mb will be cheaper than my home 2mb at the moment. I will get the Mrs to give them a call and find out when its planned.

Great info Bro'

I have True TV and that 8mb will be cheaper than my home 2mb at the moment. I will get the Mrs to give them a call and find out when its planned.

This is teir website , and i seems they have shop in Lotus NORD

http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/post_wifi.htm

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

This is teir website , and i seems they have shop in Lotus NORD

http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/post_wifi.htm

This is great news. Those speeds and pricing are getting closer to what we have in North America.

I can actually see relocating here and still being able to work with our web development clients.

Edited by miker

My info may be a little old, but if nothing has changed then the most important issue is to get a landline before you think about broadband. Certain areas and housing estates are servicede by one of the other of the fixed line suppliers - TOT or TT&T. If you move into a place that does not have a landline installed yuo could be in for a long wait. Don't believe any landlord that tells you it is only a matter of calling the phone company. This MAY have changed in the last few years but you certainly need to check this one or you may wait a long time.

My housing estate is services by TT&T and I get my ADSL broadband through them. It is erratic and slow with heaps of "Page Load Errors" and failed connections. I have phoned their Call Centre on a few occasions and their standard reply is "We will check your line" and then you hear nothing. I must mention the last response I got, it is hilarious:

The lady says: "It is summer now". I suspect what she meant is that all the school kids are on summer holidays and spending their time playing computer games.

I tried True TV but their cable stops a few hundred metres from my estate. I shall have to look for alternatives if the service does not improve once school open again. Has anybody any experience with Loxinfo?