IGNORED

Soi Diamond Family mart scam

hazze

Ok.

So pissed as a $%$^ I've just staggered to the family mart at the end of soi diamond.

I grab a bottle of water, a 14B bag of crisps and an 11B milkshake and go to pay.

88B.

WTF.

I'm not here to start trouble and if the thais want to take the piss I just walk away.

So i talk with the shop guy how three approx 11B items can be 88B.

He seems to think it adds up.....

After a while we agree i'm not a retard....

and to save face for him the water is special offer for 60B. If I take a different water its 11B.

So I seize upon this bargain and leave the family mart having paid only the 36B I expected rather than the 88B for the 'special'.

The guy is now so helpfull he lets me have 37.5B worth of stuff for 37B.

Anyway, if your pissed and in that area it seems like the staff are adding an extra drunken tax past about 5.am.

So watch youself.

Edited by hazze

Ok.

So pissed as a $%$^ I've just staggered to the family mart at the end of soi diamond.

I grab a bottle of water, a 14B bag of crisps and an 11B milkshake and go to pay.

88B.

WTF.

I'm not here to start trouble and if the thais want to take the piss I just walk away.

After a while we agree i'm not a regard....

and to save face for him the water is special offer for 60B. If I take a different water its 11B.

So I seize upon this bargain and leave the family mart having paid only the 36B I expected rather than the 88B for the 'special'.

Anyway, if your pissed and in that area it seems like the staff are adding an extra drunken tax past about 5.am.

So watch youself.

Similair thing happened at 2 AM in a 7/11 on 2nd road at 4:00 AM. I bought some items for aroun 80 baht and only had 1000 baht note. The girl gives me 720 change and says thank you sir. I start laughing and eventually she gives me the rest of my change. I thought it was so funny I bought her some chocolate for 25 baht. :)

The baht bus drivers do the same thing too, especially if ur drunk, they will over charge ya...always happens :SoWhat1:

But no point in getting in a fight over a few bht :Question:

I ALWAYS used to stop in the Family Mart on the corner of Soi LK Metro and Soi Diana. It was pretty much my nightly routine and I always used to joke with the guy that worked in there. One night, new chick shows up to work and I'm pissed outta my head picking up some water and munchies and she tried to short change me. I never would have noticed it but the guy did and as I was walking out the door he was saying "MADAM! MADAM! Come back please!" so I turned around and he starts yelling at the new girl. I'm thoroughly confused but he says "Wait one minute", continues yelling at the girl and she opens up the till and gives me the 200 Baht she shortchanged me. I looked at him funny and he says "She not give change" so I count what she gave me and, sure as shit, I was 200 Baht short. The dumb broad even handed me the receipt but I was too drunk to even pay attention.

Lovely guy :Question:

Moral of the story: Always, ALWAYS count your change.

When is it my turn in the barrel?

I was expecting you to say "wear a seatbelt!" f*ck knows why

I was expecting you to say "wear a seatbelt!" f*ck knows why

You have no idea how tempted I was to put that...

When is it my turn in the barrel?

It's by no means an exclusive Thailand scam... short changing is endemic. The all night shop in our road in London used to do exactly the same thing... when the mistake was pointed out, the correct change would appear... grudgingly... no till recipts were ever issued... as the till roll was always missing from the customers recipt part of the till. No excuse was ever offered... All the goods were overpriced, and often out of date. Eventually, I gave up using the place, and walked another 300 yds to the all night garage instead.

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

Ok.

88B.

WTF.

After a while we agree i'm not a retard....

So watch youself.

Are you sure you didn't get an expensive foreign brand of water eg Evian?

LOL.....once at the Bumrungrad hospital in BKK I went to pay the cashier.

She short changed me 20bht. When she handed the change to me I stood at the counter and counted it. I looked at her and didn't say a word. She looked at me and after about 5 seconds of staring at each other without a word, she reached into the till, grabbed the 20 and passed it to me. Then she gave me the "fuck you" smile.

I broke up laughing so hard.

Similair thing happened at 2 AM in a 7/11 on 2nd road at 4:00 AM. I bought some items for aroun 80 baht and only had 1000 baht note. The girl gives me 720 change and says thank you sir. I start laughing and eventually she gives me the rest of my change. I thought it was so funny I bought her some chocolate for 25 baht. :BirthdayCake1:

Dude i was in Walking Street Family Mart near soi diamond and i bought a 500 bht top up card for my phone i had just gone to the a t m machine and withdrawn 10000 bht in 1000 demoninations i gave the robbing little git 1 of the 1000 notes and waited for my change after a second or two i asked him where my 500 change was and he replied that i had only gave him 500(i did not have any money what so ever before i visited the a t m),i asked to see the manager and explainrd his mistake and he said he would cash up the machine which he duly done and said the money was not there,obviously the cahier had took it out already or the manager was a robbing git as well.After that things got heated cos im not in the business of being ripped off so i told them i was gonna get the tourist police which the reply was"up to you".What can you do?nothing cos the tourist police are just as rotten as the normal ones.I know what i would of done if this happened back in the UK,smacked the twats and got banged up for the night and felt a lot better.Be carefull lads

Dude i was in Walking Street Family Mart near soi diamond and i bought a 500 bht top up card for my phone i had just gone to the a t m machine and withdrawn 10000 bht in 1000 demoninations i gave the robbing little git 1 of the 1000 notes and waited for my change after a second or two i asked him where my 500 change was and he replied that i had only gave him 500(i did not have any money what so ever before i visited the a t m),i asked to see the manager and explainrd his mistake and he said he would cash up the machine which he duly done and said the money was not there,obviously the cahier had took it out already or the manager was a robbing git as well.After that things got heated cos im not in the business of being ripped off so i told them i was gonna get the tourist police which the reply was"up to you".What can you do?nothing cos the tourist police are just as rotten as the normal ones.I know what i would of done if this happened back in the UK,smacked the twats and got banged up for the night and felt a lot better.Be carefull lads

I agree, in England, you would be able to steal 500 bahts worth and the police, (if they turned up - yeah right) would just slap your wrist.

hi there

sorry to hear the thais short change you

happen to me too

taxis the worst

i pay to go to airport ,500 baht

at hotel,no reciept

got to airport

taxi man want paying,

well i say allready pay at hotel

but no joy there

he smiles and hand out for baht

well was hot day ,what can you do

so pay another 500 baht

,20 baht tip,as was going home,set off the scanners with coins in airport

well now i get nid noi baht ,change

try to have correct moneys

as they will try to top up there wallet

think we are rich ,but i said end of holiday now,me poor ,lady thai got my baht now

well every one must be alert to it can happen

be prepared,best defence

well keep reporting all the scams ,places it happens

inform the tourists

exellent forum

only second trip but it gets better every time

i carry the knowledge /wisdom of you lot with me

feel like i been going there for years

girls ask how long i been coming here

as i got lot insider info now

I've just been back to family mart at the bottom of soi diamond Walking Street.

Turns out they do have water for 59B. For some reason Evian is 500% markup on anything else. I guess they are trying to stand out as quality.

Anyway I was pretty drunk that night at 5am. I don't remember trying to buy Evian, but I suspect thats what I was trying to do.

So family mart is probably fine and its drunken falang that is at fault.

fair play , your the MAN. well checked out and you admitted your mistake asap.

:Ass_Lick::P:D

hi there

sorry to hear the thais short change you

happen to me too

taxis the worst

i pay to go to airport ,500 baht

at hotel,no reciept

got to airport

taxi man want paying,

well i say allready pay at hotel

but no joy there

he smiles and hand out for baht

well was hot day ,what can you do

so pay another 500 baht

,20 baht tip,as was going home,set off the scanners with coins in airport

well now i get nid noi baht ,change

try to have correct moneys

as they will try to top up there wallet

think we are rich ,but i said end of holiday now,me poor ,lady thai got my baht now

well every one must be alert to it can happen

be prepared,best defence

well keep reporting all the scams ,places it happens

inform the tourists

exellent forum

only second trip but it gets better every time

i carry the knowledge /wisdom of you lot with me

feel like i been going there for years

girls ask how long i been coming here

as i got lot insider info now

only 500 baht from Pattaya to airport ?

The price it's 800 minimum..so i guess u pay the right amount ! twice 500 baht.

In my humble...I think Family Mart a bit more expensive than 7/11 and the service is not as friendly.The bottles of Chang I pay 36 baht for at 7 are 39 at the F/M across the road from the hotel not life changing but as tesco always say every little helps.....

• 1 month later...

I must admit I often use 7/11 as a source of change.

Giving them a Grey note to pay for a donut or something equally cheap to give myself the max change. I often don't check the actual change, just stuffing it into my skyrocket and high'tailin'it out' there.

Must check in future! Must check in future! , etc . a big reminder.

Thanks for the story.

I mean in principle, yeh I agree being ripped off aint cool. I also agree short changing is an epidemic, but seriously, over 50 baht, just walk away and dont shop there again.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

At the end of Soi 13 (turning left onto 2nd Road) there is a Siam Commercial Bank foreign exchange booth

Two weeks ago I changed some HKD into Thai Baht; because its a bank operation the cashier had to give me the payment receipt showing the amount of B 13,240. Then when I had signed it he handed me the money

Unlucky for him I counted the money before turning away - only B 12,240 in my hand...

I look at him and he immediately reached into the till and hands me another B 1,000

I guess a lot of people just stuff it in their pockets and walk away

Never really had any problems in the family marts or 7/11 in Thailand. When I was driving around Thailand recently I stopped in a garage and went in the family mart there to get some water. Picked up two botltles of water which were 7 baht each and gave the lady a 20 baht note. She gave me 10 baht change and the receipt as I walked out I could see that the price was 14 baht and that she gave me too much change so I went back in and placed 4 baht on the counter. As I got back to the car the girl came out and told me that if you buy two water the price was 10 baht and preceded to give me my 4 baht back. Very good and honest.

Edited by Cennn3

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light" Spike Milligan

• 2 weeks later...

I shuold probably start checking the change i get at the 7/11 and family marts as i read this i'm usually to drunk :Dunno1: or in to much opf a hurry to get back to the hotel room :P to check it .

i'll pay more attention next time

I ALWAYS used to stop in the Family Mart on the corner of Soi LK Metro and Soi Diana. It was pretty much my nightly routine and I always used to joke with the guy that worked in there. One night, new chick shows up to work and I'm pissed outta my head picking up some water and munchies and she tried to short change me. I never would have noticed it but the guy did and as I was walking out the door he was saying "MADAM! MADAM! Come back please!" so I turned around and he starts yelling at the new girl. I'm thoroughly confused but he says "Wait one minute", continues yelling at the girl and she opens up the till and gives me the 200 Baht she shortchanged me. I looked at him funny and he says "She not give change" so I count what she gave me and, sure as shit, I was 200 Baht short. The dumb broad even handed me the receipt but I was too drunk to even pay attention.

Lovely guy :Flying:

had a good experience with my 'old' local 7/11, every day after work i stopped in to buy 3 big chang's some smokes and what ever else i needed....

anyways, one day i drop in for the usual supplies, not really thinking about anything other than getting home, girl rings it all up, i just give her a 100baht note, she hands me the change and im on my ways... didnt get back there for a week (was busy) but next i dropped in to 'stock' up a different girl went out of her way to give me some money in a little plastic baggie....turns out last time i was in, i was given a 100baht note in the change that should have been a 500baht note.... they was balancing up there till and giving me what was owed.... major kudo's to them, i never knew.