IGNORED

Thai Language

sitr1x

Have members who have been to Thailand found there is a definite need for a translator there or is it easy enough to find someone who speaks English most of the time when getting something done e.g booking rooms etc.

I have practiced some very basic Thai phrases just in case, but  this just came into mind last night, and I'm ocd so I want to be fully prepared lol. Thanks in advance.

IMO there's no need for a casual tourist to learn Thai, you'll get by fine with English.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

You should be fine, mostly you will be understood, but keep the vocabulary simple.

If you need to use unfamiliar words, then I'd suggest you downloads the google translate app onto your phone.

This is good for translating a few words .

A tip for using them is again keep it simple the more text you input the more it can come out not the way you intended.

A translator, for traveling about?  No.

I think it's quite easy getting around the major places (Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai) without a bit of Thai at all ... even purchasing bus tickets and air tickets is quite easy.  It gets a bit challenging in the more isolated villages.

Before I spoke decent Thai, I simply engaged in charades ... which dovetailed nicely with the Thai concept of sanuk ... and I nearly always got my point across, usually making a new friend and learning a new word or two in Thai at the same time.  

I've always found Thai people patient and willing to figure out what it is you're on about.

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

:24: 

• 10 months later...

Thai is such a difficult language to learn for westerners! I would say learn basic phrases then rely on good old hand gestures and pointing to get the message across!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived