IGNORED

2016 Summer Olympics

wulfgar

I didn't see a thread about this yet; sorry if I missed it. First of all, here is the wikipedia article. It runs from August 5 until August 21, and is being held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

My first question is what TV channels available in Thailand will carry it? I have a big beautiful wide screen TV in my condo, so I'm hoping I'll be able to watch a lot of it here.

If you can get FilmOn through the internet you should get a lot of coverage via the BBC. What professional golf has got to do with the Olympics I've no idea

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we will have to enjoy the Olympics in Rio without the Russians .

Systematic state doping for 4 years means the IOC may ban the whole lot .

Mikeyboy

Looks like we will have to enjoy the Olympics in Rio without the Russians .

Systematic state doping for 4 years means the IOC may ban the whole lot .

Mikeyboy

There is no competitions without the Russians ... Lol .. Agrees that they should be punished for that disgraceful incident . I never forget the three Chinese women who came first , second and third in a 10,000 metres , then they were never heard of again ..very strange . Will be looking foward to the Olympics , hope that Zika Virus will not affect anybody but I think and fear they will , including so many audiences . Will be rooting for Usain Bolt to win few golds .

Looks like they've decided to vet the Russian athletes individually. This is interesting:

The worst fears of some antidoping officials were realized when, only a few hours after the Olympic committee’s announcement on Sunday, the tennis federation cleared for competition all eight Russian athletes who had qualified for the Games with seemingly little scrutiny. Officials cited 205 doping samples among the eight players since 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they've decided to vet the Russian athletes individually. This is interesting:

Yes , the IOC bottled it , and passed the buck .

Any Russian medalist at these games should have an asterisk put against their name . 

Mikeyboy

Update - there was no coverage on my TV after all, so I found out about USTVnow. Free, although a little grainy, it allows me to pick up NBC.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant wait till 2020 where the next summer Olympics will be in Tokyo so we (Thailand) could watch it live in normal hours for a change.

In the end, it was pretty convenient to use USTVnow. I didn't watch as much as I would have liked, but that's often the case even when I have 24hr coverage. I could have become a paying member which would allow me to record the off-hour coverage, but I decided to wing it instead. Looking forward to Tokyo too.

Archived