IGNORED

working allowed on what visa ?

hetepatat

I would like to apply for a teaching job (25 hours) and rather sure of getting it.

Just : i dont have a Bachelor degree and they will not give me assistance for housing or work permit and visa.

Actually : i think I can only do it on a work visa. Can I obtain this myself for a job like that ? Maybe the school should deliver documents anyway ?

Any of you seen this job done in a not legal way ?

Like on a regular visa ? For volunteer work ?

Salary 30.000. Is that little or much for this job?

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I would like to apply for a teaching job (25 hours) and rather sure of getting it.

Just : i dont have a bachelor degree and they will not give me assistance for housing or work permit and visa.

Actually : i think I can only do it on a work visa. Can I obtain this myself for a job like that ? Maybe the school should deliver documents anyway ?

Any of you seen this job done in a not legal way ?

Like on a regular visa ? For volunteer work ?

Salary 30.000. Is that little or much for this job?

You cannot work on just a visa. You will need a work permit too.

You either need a Non-O year extension based on marriage or being the legal father of a Thai child OR a business visa (B).

If the company/school does not support you with getting the work permit, you can forget about working legally. You will definitely need them for the paperwork.

I believe 30.000 is pretty much the lowest salary a foreign Teacher usually earns. I might be slightly wrong here.

OP, you cannot even teach as a volunteer here, unpaid, without a WP, it doesn't matter where or what you are teachng, you are not allowed to under current laws. Do you remember when the volunteers came from overseas after the tsunami... immigration insisted they have a WP, made thailand a laughing stock.

The people who want you to work will tell you anything, they wont face any repercussions as they are Thai. It will all fall on you if someone, for whatever reason, reports you. Worst case you could be arrested, detained in the immigration centre and deported when someone turns up to pay your airfare.

You cannot work on just a visa. You will need a work permit too.

You either need a Non-O year extension based on marriage or being the legal father of a Thai child OR a business visa (B).

If the company/school does not support you with getting the work permit, you can forget about working legally. You will definitely need them for the paperwork.

I believe 30.000 is pretty much the lowest salary a foreign Teacher usually earns. I might be slightly wrong here.

I am under the impression that it is some kind of scam. Don't know which one though.

If a school wants to employ and pay somebody who can not get the work permit ,... that says what ?

It's impossible ? I told't them I don't want to break the law in this country and I don't want to work illegally but they kind of talked around that. Which means to me that something is probably not right.

Salary is for 25 hours a week. Maybe that is not a full time job here.

Biggles : that was about my idea too but I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I have worked as an English teacher 2x in the last 2 years.

Both times it sucked BAD.

If you are getting the job through some sort of agency ... beware that they might just not pay you.

Without a work permit you will be working illegally and the company can do anything they want.

does this company have a wewb page?
Do you speak Thai?  Because if you do not the kids will run all over you.

What grades are you supposed to teach?  I taught 2nd grad in the first school .. and K-6 in the other .. 

class sizes of 30-35 kids.  The Thai teacher will NOT help you ... they see you a babysitter.

Expect to buy a LOT of your own materials ... copies, etc ... 

Teaching to children is very depressing here (for me anyway) .. you MIGHT help 1-3 kids in each class .. 

the rest will just talk and ignore you.

... 25 hours may be the number of hours in class .. but, you will have to stay at the school for a full 40 ... 

you have to spend time every night planning the next day/weeks class.

You have to spend time correcting papers/books ... 

in actuality .. if you take this job even 1/2 way seriously (just so you do not look like a TOTAL fool)

you will be working 40-60 hours a week.

... How did you get this job?  Did you take some kind of TEFL class .. and now they want to put you in a school?

BEWARE my friend ...

Teaching in Thailand .. like you want to do .. no BA, probably no teaching experience, and probably no experience in a classroom of 30+ children that really just see your class as entertainment .. 

Good Luck .. 

From my experience .. I would NEVER teach in Thailand ... 

I honestly can't see why anyone would want to be an English teacher in Thailand now, even those who do have a Bachelor's degree can get a better paid job somewhere else.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

If the school won't arrange a work permit for you, then don't touch it.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Quote feature not working now .. but, you said .. 

..........................................................................................

No.., I am not a trained teacher.

I do think I can teach young children a thing or two.
One of them could be a lesson in life : a big mouth and a big brain are never found together in the same head.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

hahaha ... and how EXACTLY will explain these concepts to 5-12 year old Thai kids?

It would be pretty hard to explain them to Thai adults .. even if you spoke Thai at a conversational level

sorry but, you have no chance .. 

unless you just do not care about doing a good job ... 

you have no idea what you are getting into 

If you are getting the job through some sort of agency ... beware that they might just not pay you.

Without a work permit you will be working illegally and the company can do anything they want.

Do you speak Thai?  Because if you do not the kids will run all over you.

What grades are you supposed to teach?  I taught 2nd grad in the first school .. and K-6 in the other .. 

class sizes of 30-35 kids.  The Thai teacher will NOT help you ... they see you a babysitter.

Teaching to children is very depressing here (for me anyway) .. you MIGHT help 1-3 kids in each class .. 

... 25 hours may be the number of hours in class .. but, you will have to stay at the school for a full 40 ... 

in actuality .. if you take this job even 1/2 way seriously (just so you do not look like a TOTAL fool)

... How did you get this job?  Did you take some kind of TEFL class .. and now they want to put you in a school?

BEWARE my friend ...

Teaching in Thailand .. like you want to do .. no BA, probably no teaching experience, and probably no experience in a classroom of 30+ children that really just see your class as entertainment .. 

Good Luck .. 

Great post, although my experience differs. 30-35 children would be a breeze. I've seen 50-55 before now and had my nose to the blackboard with barely enough room to turn around!

I think in 2010 after they change some law about staying in Thailand if your learning Thai loads of TEFL college's closed down, I knew a guy who ran one at the end of soi yodsac Soi 6 pattaya he had to close down.

If the school won't arrange a work permit for you, then don't touch it.

The school CANNOT arrange a work permit if he has no verifiable degree, it's impossible. If the school director has a good relationship with the MOE they can apply for one and the application will stay at the bottom of the pile but he will never be a legal teacher.

Many years ago this was the standard practice but there have been major changes in the system and people have been imprisoned for flouting the rules since then. Rightly so too in my opinion.

I know some fine fellows teach English in Thailand and do a fantastic job of it but I despise the idiots who just see it as free pass to living there with little or no regard for the actual education of their students.

Great post, although my experience differs. 30-35 children would be a breeze. I've seen 50-55 before now and had my nose to the blackboard with barely enough room to turn around!

When was this ten years ago?

2008-9

Well they've changed laws since then, I'm sure if you work in school's now it's going to be different.

Do you speak Thai? Because if you do not the kids will run all over you.

What grades are you supposed to teach? I taught 2nd grad in the first school .. and K-6 in the other ..

class sizes of 30-35 kids. The Thai teacher will NOT help you ... they see you a babysitter.

... How did you get this job? Did you take some kind of TEFL class .. and now they want to put you in a school?

BEWARE my friend ...

Good Luck ..

- I was asking about some of your experiences on the subject in thailand on this matter.

Thank you for your useful post(s).

- I would get the job through an agency. I don't trust them myself.. I would need to learn more about them before I would accept working for them.

- I am not really dreaming about teaching as I never did this before as a full time job. Some friends here pointed me in that direction and I am just following on a lead.

I accept that I am not a native speaker and that my English is not perfect enough to teach college students. On the other hand, I met english people here whose writing is worse than mine. No need to start flaming at any topic starter. Above quote is not flaming at all but very rich on information and respect. Some others are not.

The job I talked about is to teach children 4-6 in age some basic words from simple songs, abc and numbers. No rocket science.

I respect teaching as a job and I respect most people who do this job. I don't think it can be done without proper training but in this case... maybe... ?

I do think it is very important to be able to do an outstanding or good job when education of young children is involved. That is why I was thinking about trying it out for a week as a volunteer but I also thought that was maybe not even a legal situation.

I was told the usual teacher would always be around to keep the classroom calm enough and so on. But I do accept your views on how hard it would be to keep things together. And that just a few would receive any good out of my efforts. I do think this is probably not my cup of tea.

The agency I talked to is not giving information on visa. That alone is enough for me to stop following this lead.

Salary seems indeed not to be so great, some people told me already, so maybe it's better to do something else, maybe somewhere else. Read : in my home country perhaps.

TEFL : yes. About 8 years ago but never did anything with it. It was not even in thailand.

Archived