IGNORED

Can a hotel kick you out?

Scorpiuz

I booked for a month at PT Residence Patong. But after a few days they started asking all guests to leave including me. Because they are the new Management they claim and i should get a refund at the old owner. But i called this number they gave me but no one picks up. What should i do? Can they just kick out guests who paid?

I won't leave without being refunded.. they have to drag me out [emoji34]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I booked for a month at PT Residence Patong. But after a few days they started asking all guests to leave including me. Because they are the new Management they claim and i should get a refund at the old owner. But i called this number they gave me but no one picks up. What should i do? Can they just kick out guests who paid?

Hoping you've booked on Agoda or any third party booking sites. If not, if paid by credit card you can contact your card provider to hold/reverse the transaction. If you have paid cash, the only way out is to move on or take it up with tourist police. Shoot a letter/mail to the Tourism Authority of Thailand to get things on record and give them a call. Some numbers listed here - http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/thailand/thailand_calls_important.html

I realise it's Thailand and some things are done in a bodgy fashion, but generally when there's a transfer of ownership of a business there are adjustments to the final price of sale for paid accounts.

I fail to see what the new owner gains out of this.  If they kick out all their paid guests, then the hotel is empty and producing no income until new bookings arrive, many of whom will also have paid the previous owner..

I'd be agreeing with what boob_kook posted above, put some pressure back on and demand either a full refund or honouring your booking.

Sounds like the new owner is up to something and trying to play fast and loose with standing bookings for some reason.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Legally, one may not acquire a businesses' assets without acquiring the liabilities.

Therefore, they're breaking the law.

As for what you can do about it, probably not much, as I wouldn't expect enforcement thereof, and if so, the cost and/or hassle of trying to get this resolved will be more than what you paid for the room.

Just put it into the losses category; we consider this, as well as other losses, as overhead/contingency.

My advice is pack your bags, leave, find another hotel, and take the loss. It's probably what's going to happen regardless, so minimize the aggravation.

Common sense and ethics do not apply here.

Thanks for the responses. I booked with Agoda and i contacted them. They tried contacting the hotel but they just won't pick up the phone. And when i give them my phone to talk with Agoda they don't want to take the call. So Agoda is saying they won't do anything till they talk with the hotel and the hotel is ignoring them. And this is going on a day now. This is going nowhere so i think its best to just leave and try get my bank to refund me.

I once read a story of a hotel that would change hands every 6 months or so, JUST so they could kick out customers and the "new" management could say "take it up with the old owner". When it fact it was the same two guys swapping ownership back and forth.

If it happened to me, I'd be shopping for a sling shot, find a nice size rock and figuring out how much it would cost to replace their front window several times. 

As already stated, you can contact authorities, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of a positive resolution.

"I won't leave without being refunded.. they have to drag me out."

You can try holding out,  but what if you come back and the locks are changed? Then you've lost all of your shit.

The best way to handle businesses that screw you over in Thailand is to trash their reputation at every opportunity. Anonymously of course.

Thanks for the responses. I booked with Agoda and i contacted them. They tried contacting the hotel but they just won't pick up the phone. And when i give them my phone to talk with Agoda they don't want to take the call. So Agoda is saying they won't do anything till they talk with the hotel and the hotel is ignoring them. And this is going on a day now. This is going nowhere so i think its best to just leave and try get my bank to refund me.

I don't know how far in advance you paid if it was by credit card, it the payment was recent call them and explain your situation and cancel payment.

Have Travel Insurance? Call them and change hotels should work. The Insurance company may be able to work this out depending on level of cover.

Worth a try

Make sure you write about your experience on places such as Trip Advisor.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Definitely contact Tourism Thailand as suggested. Wouldn't hurt to contact tourist police as well.

Definitely contact Tourism Thailand as suggested. Wouldn't hurt to contact tourist police as well.

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact Pattaya One as well, especially if there are a lot of others who have already paid and are being  shown the door.

I think they would consider that news.

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact Pattaya One as well...

I believe that the hotel is in Phuket....:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Contact the Tourist Police..... similar situation happened to me in Cha Am resort several years ago.

A visit by the cops and short talk to the owners solved the problem.

I once read a story of a hotel that would change hands every 6 months or so, JUST so they could kick out customers and the "new" management could say "take it up with the old owner". When it fact it was the same two guys swapping ownership back and forth.

If it happened to me, I'd be shopping for a sling shot, find a nice size rock and figuring out how much it would cost to replace their front window several times. 

While reading the OP I was thinking if they get away with it, what's to stop them doing it on purpose to scam all the customers.. which is exactly what you describe.

You also describe the type of response they would get from me if no agreement could be reached lol. For anyone who says just wear it, the law won't bother with enforcement - that cuts both ways. Just take some shit, say the former owner gifted it to you, and that they will have to take it up with the former owner. If they want to get the cops involved, then good you just solved the issue of law not bothering with enforcement.

Yeah ill write bad reviews on TripAdvisor Agoda and Google.

Just keep an eye on the Agoda review. I wrote a negative review of a hotel that didn't want to honor the booking (maybe they were full, I'm not sure), and Agoda wouldn't publish it. Apparently censoring of negative reviews happens routinely, which I found pretty alarming.

If they kick you out get it in writing. Signed, on the hotel's stationery. Any documentation you can pull together regarding the situation will help you in getting a chargeback processed successfully. It will also cost whoever you made the payment to additional costs from their acquiring bank. Tell Agoda you have the letter and you are going to take it up with your card issuer and explain that you know your rights. I would be surprised if they didn't bend over backwards to give you a refund.

Had an issue with two brand name hotels in Pattaya over-booking, they refunded me fully on one account. The other they refunded me minus 1 day (alternate room in 'not so' similar hotel offered by hotel) but you have to stay on their ass. I got a resolution within a couple hours on mail and with an hour over phone. 

I don't enjoy booking with Agoda again but can't deny a 5% saving on rooms.

Agoda refunded me in full even the few days i already stayed there. Sadly they left me in Limbo two days while they tried contacting the hotel and the hotel ignoring the calls. I was the last guest to leave everyone else was already kicked out

Glad that was resolved for you Scorpiuz.  

I booked the LK Empress when they 1st opened through Agoda and the description for Superior room & deluxe were mixed up.  I wanted the walk in shower...

hotel contacted Agoda who then paid the difference for the rooms.

Sometimes it helps to book through a reputable 3rd party.

This is a joke surely there has to be some basic laws in this country get in contact with the police, you have paid the booking and are entitled to a refund. or do they want everyone to think they can be made homeless and left with no money because the hotel can kick them out because they changed owners an absolute joke 

Archived