IGNORED

What to do about erratic mouse

The Sly Fox

I have a Toshiba Satellite C640 laptop with Windows 7 installed. The touch pad has recently started to behave erratically. The pointer flies around and selects when I don't want to select and does extra functions. For example if I select and delete a file it will delete that file and jump to the next file and delete that as well.

I've tried different settings in Control Panel and adjusted mouse sensitivity but the problem remains.

Any suggestions for me?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

You could try updating the mouse pad driver but it sounds like it could be a faulty mouse pad.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

.mouse.gif

Have you tried using a USB connected Mouse...if that's OK you need a new pad.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C640 laptop with Windows 7 installed.

Any suggestions for me?

If it were mine I would take it to a computer repair shop. They'll diagnose and repair it for you. I bet it's the actual trackpad that's gone bad.

I'd also update your operating system to Windows 10.....it's a great OS.

You could try updating the mouse pad driver but it sounds like it could be a faulty mouse pad.

I would definitely update or reload the latest driver before doing anything else. If that doesn't work, a usb mouse is a simple and easy fix as Edge suggests.

Sounds like your pad is going bad. Disable the pad and go with a mouse or USB pad are you options, unless you want to buy a new laptop. (Assumption is that repairing the pad will cost far more than the laptop is worth.)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I have done a system restore recently and the problem remains.

I do also use a USB connected mouse much of the time and that works far better, but I do still have some trouble with selecting and highlighting, even with a mouse.

So from your replies here it seems that it may well be the mouse pad is faulty. 

I'll try updating drivers and will also ask some of the Thai boys in the computer shops.

If a usb mouse is giving you a few niggles due to the trackpad issues,  Fn+ F5   disables the trackpad  on the Tosh   so there are no conflicts.

If the usb mouse is a logitech   use the setpoint driver

You can lead a horticulture but you can't teach a prototype

It may need a firmware update along with the driver update.  I've seen this before with HP laptops and it was a firmware fix that corrected it.

It may need a firmware update along with the driver update.  I've seen this before with HP laptops and it was a firmware fix that corrected it.

It's working much better now as I'm using a USB connected mouse, the real troubles begin when I use the trackpad, which I now think is faulty. I've had the laptop for about 4 years and it's had lots of use.

Thanks for your tip about firmware update. However, I've got to confess I have no idea what that means or entails.If you feel like explaining it to me please go ahead...  :GoldenSmile1:

It's working much better now as I'm using a USB connected mouse, the real troubles begin when I use the trackpad, which I now think is faulty. I've had the laptop for about 4 years and it's had lots of use.

Thanks for your tip about firmware update. However, I've got to confess I have no idea what that means or entails.If you feel like explaining it to me please go ahead...  :GoldenSmile1:

For devices that have firmware I believe the correct drivers (ie the one provided by the device's manufacturer) will update the firmware when necessary. I know this as it caused me an issue one time.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Firmware and drivers are different.  The firmware is below the drivers which run at or near the OS level.  It is kind of like the BIOS for the device but that is a rough comparison. 

I looked on Toshiba site and I did not see any firmware updates so they may be bundling them, my experience which is mostly with HP is that they are delivered separately.  I also checked out synaptics site and didn't see any there. 

For reference you can look at HP's support site, this is for a particular model that I encountered the touchpad instability.  If you expand firmware you will see the updater for the touchpad, whereas the drivers are listed under drivers- keyboard, mouse input device.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5275307&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4060

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU USE THE UPDATER ON THAT SITE!!!!  I have no idea what it might do to your laptop.  If you really need to use the touchpad contact either Toshiba, Synaptics or the place you purchased it. 

Archived