Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

My DNS keeps reverting

zenzen11

I just recently got a new VPN ...

And they gave me 4 new DNS's

I use those as well as Google DNS

My problem is after a couple hours ..

Or if I shut off the VPN

My DNS keeps reseting to some bogus 3bb/Thai DNS

Specifically it resets back to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

...this is kind of hosing up what I use the VPN for .. Netflix mostly

I then have to go back and change the DNS to something that is not restrictive ...

.... why is it doing this?

Currently I just go into network properties/Ipv4 properties

And change it to use the DNS I want ...

Do I need to change this in the modem/router instead?

Thanks for any insight ya'll have on this problem,

Changing the settings on your router is what I would first try. I use Google's server (ie 8.8.8.8) as my primary and an Open DNS server (208.67.222.222) as my secondary and have never had any issues with it.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Cool ... I will try to find the settings in router I need ...

I looked for these settings before in the router .. i will look again thanks for the response ..

The dns they have me ..

... are Torguard specific DNS. . And they block a lot of ads at that point

I think you're right .. it's in the router

I think it's 3bb ..3bb modem router..

The fuckers would even give me the passwords for it ..

Actually, I do not think they even understood what I was asking

Anyway

Thanks for the help ...

I'm a blowfish!

Before I can properly reply, need to know a little more information.   Are you running your VPN client on your router or on your PC/MAC/tablet etc?  If VPN on PC/MAC etc whose VPN client are you using? 

Now, let me assume that the WAN side of your router is set for DHCP.  (most are)   When it requests an address, you get your WAN IP, Gateway and DNS servers from your provider.   (I assume 3BB from what you have written) 

Then your router hands out the DNS it has gotten to your laptop, PC, smart TV, etc requests an address.   Or it hands out it's own internal LAN side IP as the DNS along with being the gateway.  (acting as a DNS forwarder)

Now when you initiate a VPN client, you get your address information from the VPN server on the far end.   This then is what is entered into your routing tables, along with DNS entries. 

If you don't mind sharing a few more details of your configuration, might be able to help.   Especially what router and provider you are using.   You can PM me if you don't want to publicly share details.

//  a retired networking engineer

PS.  Problems with Netflix also can be do to the new way they are screening for proxy clients and reroutes...  why they (Netlfix and Studios) just don't provide an overseas rate and stop this crap of geographic restrictions 

PSS.   "4.2.2.2 is one of six (4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6) DNS servers run by Level 3 Communications, a Tier 1 ISP. These are supposed to be used by Level 3 customers only, although they have gone into general use over the years. Supposedly, they are officially discouraging people from using these DNS servers, as they are under no obligation to provide this service and can theoretically discontinue them at any time (whereas Google provides their DNS servers expressly for public use)"  [ pulled from web resource ]

" Remember, no matter where you go, there you are " - Confucius

Thanks KuhnKarl ...

... I used to be an MCSE (it's OK to laugh now) back when we were using Windows NT and moving the desktops from Windows 3.1 to Windows 98 ...

... I stopped working as a network engineer because I was competing for jobs with people like you .... lol

... but, at least, I can understand what you are talking about.

I am running the VPN on my PC.

Using Torguard.

I have a modem/router bought from 3bb.

A Huawei ADSL model HG531 V1

The DNS provided from 3bb is 4.4.4.2 and 4.4.4.3

I have been changing the DNS as described in my original post.

I have used Google DNS, Open DNS, and the ones provided by Torguard

I also have a static IP with Torguard when I use the VPN

I have not been able to find the place to change the DNS in the router ... I will look again.

I have found the place to change the router from DHCP to a static address. .. but, I am not sure I want to change that ...

Afraid to screw the regular connection .. since the static IP is given to me by the VPN

What do you think?

THANKS MAN

I'm a blowfish!

PS.  Problems with Netflix also can be do to the new way they are screening for proxy clients and reroutes...  why they (Netlfix and Studios) just don't provide an overseas rate and stop this crap of geographic restrictions

You don't need to bother with VPN services for Netfix as it can now be streamed to Thailand: Netflix Thailand

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have always been able to get Netflix in Thailand but, the selection is severely limited.

... it has to do with the licensing agreements Netflix has with the studios

I'm a blowfish!

I assume the HG531 is similar to the HG630.   So first log in  (default is admin  3BB) 

Go to the Internet tab

Go to internet settings and hit edit.  (the contents are hidden until you do that.. stupid design)

Go to bottom of page and check box for DNS, this should open entry fields.

Put in the DNS you want the router to remember.

Enter the validate  code given and save.

Images to follow

go to bottom of page - click dns box.jpg

enter dns you want - validate code and save.jpg

I will do this tomorrow ... thanks soooooo much ..

Very cool.

Did you have to look that up somewhere?

Or did you already know that?

Thanks again

Next go to the home network tab, and select LAN Interface on the side panel.

This opens several selections, of which DHCP is one.   Drop down the selection with the arrow.

As a default it will hand out the LAN interface (same as gateway) IP address to clients request for DNS service. 

Then the router becomes a forwarder for port 53 packets.    This works but does add some overhead IMHO. 

I would select manually entering what DNS you want to use.   Then you can ipconfig (assuming windows) and see what your client is doing.   You may also want to do ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /dnsflush after changes. 

DHCP 3BB.jpg

One more thing, I am not sure about your VPN client and how it works.  Before you open it, check ipconfig/all and then once open do same.   That way you get an understanding.   If it was me, I would use the google open dns servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 when not running the VPN and use what they provided when active.   The client should have a method of inputting such. 

If you have problems with client let me know and I'll try to see if it will run on a virtual Windows 10.    Sorry, I use MAC OS now days.. but worst case I might be able to find an old windows laptop. 

AND NO NO NO... I don't want to get into the MAC verses Windows discussion.. I am happily retired from the life. 

I will do this tomorrow ... thanks soooooo much ..

Very cool.

Did you have to look that up somewhere?

Or did you already know that?

Thanks again

I'm a blowfish!

I may be retired, but I still am of sound mind.... 55555 ...    And actually I want to do load sharing between fiber and VDSL once I get my fiber installed.   Mostly because where I reside we seem to be the focal point for that high voltage thing in the sky...  boom boom.   (not the good kind)  My VDSL was out for 5 days last week before they came to repair the dslam.    Pissed me off!  

Now that the village can (or so I have been assured) get fiber to the home... the order is placed.   I just might end up with 3BB, AIS, and TRUE connections at my home before I am done.  

One last thing ..  for those interested.. here are links to the official network layouts for traffic going in/out of Thailand.   Some nets pass through CAT, others have own pop (point of presence) like Jasmine (3BB), TOT, TRUE and DTAC. 

You can deduce some interesting items, like TOT has a direct path to VERIZON (USA) of 10GB bandwidth.   In other words, one phone company to another for those who still dial landlines (converted to VoIP). 

Thailand International Gateways >>>

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYj+MymrR55/ZVXwPUc8AVEglWgp2FLDi3qq+2nxHvMs1T+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

Thailand Domestic Interconnection Gateways>>>

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?nnHZtXzjeMp7AKW6g7hcmSa1mN5C39T8bDBolE1jU6BQ6mtQ+od9cogwM6DVzE8KlcgXhs61UNhG0e47u2+6jA==

Now if you think you can study this and find the best company to get you say back to California, you can't really.   Carriers prefer to keep all the traffic on circuits / interfaces they control and pay for.   But if automatic routing detects problems, based on agreements, traffic can be rerouted through other network centers.   See second map showing domestic internet exchange.

It is interesting to see that some traffic is going to dedicated server farms through dedicated circuits.. like to Facebook (little wonder there), Google, Microsoft etc.. 

Hope I've answer your inquiry, and then some...   if you want to know more PM me.. I can chat all day over a brew or two about techie things... or pussy. 

Lots of great information KuhnKarl. ..

Thank you very much.

I'm a blowfish!

Sorry, I use MAC OS now days..  

Hah!  :GoldenSmile1:

I think I'm also happily retired from any job that comes with a pager and after hours support. Thanks for the knowledgeable explanations. 

Archived