IGNORED

LA Thai embassy visa by post

jhjhjh

Any advice on the whole situation would be appreciated:

Currently living and working in the USA, but UK passport holder. 

Visited Thailand 4 times in 2015 (last left November 2015) and due my 5th trip in November 2016.

Getting a little nervous reading these reports of Visa Waivers being refused with immigrations advice being 3 VWP entries only in an unspecified amount of time, I know my VWP entry count is a lot lower than most but I'd rather not risk rejection at immigration.

Due to US immigration reentry requests for my visa, I will be carry excessive amounts of personal documentation with me, including 6 months of pay slips, full US visa documentation, a statement from my company that I will be returning to work for them on a set date... Amongst other bits and pieces.

Has anyone used the visa by post system via the LA consulate. My only other option is a 5 hour ride to Denver, where the embassy is only open 9am-12pm Mon-Thurs. To make matters worse I've yet to get myself a car and/or driving license here, so it will be a trip by bus and 2 days off work - if I can get it.

I'm not technically meant to leave the house here without my passport (US immigration lawyers advice) but again - really don't want to get rejected.

If you haven't guessed already when it comes to visas, I'm generally a 'live by the book, die by the book' kind of guy.

---

The only other question is if you get rejected can you fly to a neighboring country and get a visa there? Less time on the ground but at least I would make it eventually. 

As it will be a year since your last visit to Thailand when you next arrive there, I don't think you have any need for a tourist visa. That said, try phoning or e-mailing the Thai consulate to see what they say.

I've emailed the UK embassy once before with a visa related question but got no response. I will try that, thank you.

I'm full time in Patts now but a few years ago I was based out of San Diego. Back then I applied for and successfully received numerous tourist visas from the LA consulate by post.

I would send them all the documents (pp, pp copy, pictures, application form, cashiers check, etc) by express mail and I would also include an express mail envelope for return mail, that I had already paid the post on. Total turn around time was usually about two weeks.

I would email them first to make sure you know ALL the required documents. I never had to show plane tickets or hotel reservations but that could have changed.

Good luck

I am interested in how this goes. I am a Canadian who will be spending 3 months in California this summer and then coming back to Thailand. I am planning on getting a single entry visa from the LA Thai embassy before I come.

I'm currently awaiting a response from the Embassy. If I hear nothing, I'll just bite the bullet and do it. I'll try to remember to update this with the outcome. If it does involve applying for a visa by post it will be a while off as you can't apply until a few months before the trip.

If you're near LA I would go in person. I don't know if they do same day visas, but I know London does next day that way. Saves leaving a legal document at the mercy of the postal/courier system though, which if it got lost, would really mess up a holiday!

Well a week later and my email hadn't gotten a response so I tried calling on 323.962.9574 (LA Consulate) but it's just an automated number which gives you visa advice - no option to speak to anyone. Some interesting info in there, but not specifically what I needed to know...

I agree with beer man.

Even though I live in San Diego, I have applied to the Los Angeles counselate for a tourist visa and most recently the OA retirement visa. I wanted to avoid the traffic, parking issues, and hotels so I did everything via the postal system.

Followed their instructions on their website exactly, especially the postage requirements.

Everything went very smooth.

Visa by mail from Los Angeles should be no problem. I have done it before myself - no snags. 

You say you last left LOS in November 2015 and are returning November 2016. It you have a full 365 day absence, I think you can comfortably use VWP and skip the LA process.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you have another valid identifications document beyond your passport you should be fine for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know when applying for the METV via mail if the Thai Embassy is requiring copy of hotel reservation? I know the website states, plane tickets, bank statement and hotel reservation but I read one post where the hotel reservation was not required. I would hope this is the case as the hotel reservation is the most annoying part of the process in my opinion. 

Anyone know when applying for the METV via mail if the Thai Embassy is requiring copy of hotel reservation? I know the website states, plane tickets, bank statement and hotel reservation but I read one post where the hotel reservation was not required. I would hope this is the case as the hotel reservation is the most annoying part of the process in my opinion.

I think this will probably vary amongst embassies (or consulates) but I can't help but think it will generally only become more strict.

Years ago, when I used to obtain metv's at the LA consulate, they never required any reservations, of any kind.

A little over a year ago when I obtained a double entry TV in Phnom Penh, they required to see airline reservations.

Approximately 6 months ago a friend applied for and received a triple entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Manila but they required airline reservations as well as hotel reservations for the entire stay. He spent hours making reservations, printing them and then canceling them .... but the visa was approved.

I know you're probably asking about the LA consulate. In the past they didn't require to see reservations for US citizens, at least in my case. I hope someone will be able to provide you more recent info. Good luck.

Ok just an update,

I talked to a friend that received a double entry tourist visa in April from the LA Thai Consulate. He told me that he sent his application by mail and he did Not send any hotel reservation info and he successfully received his double entry tourist visa. Hope this helps.

Cheers

I have used the LA Thai embassy twice a year for the last 15 years.  I always get the tourist visa good for 60 days.  I always extend that another 30 days while I am there.  Over the years it has been basically reliable.  Sometimes the requirements have changed like now that want a copy of your bank statement and tickets to and from Thailand.  Didn't need them for a while.  

I have no clue if this means you need to get a Visa here but if you decide to do it I recommend:

Have a cover letter explaining what you are sending and why.  Use bullet points to explain you are sending the application for visa, passport, photos, etc.  It looks professional.  And BTW the person there who does these is either American or speaks perfect english so no worries there.

Send it via US Post Priority Mail.  And include a prepaid addressed Priority Mail envelope for return of your passport.  

So far I've never had an issue with them.  Then again I am a Yank sending a Yank passport to the LA Consulate.  I don't know if that makes a difference.  

• 4 weeks later...

Ok just an update,

I talked to a friend that received a double entry tourist visa in April from the LA Thai Consulate. He told me that he sent his application by mail and he did Not send any hotel reservation info and he successfully received his double entry tourist visa. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Just received my METV from the Thai Embassy Los Angeles. Took the usual two weeks from the day I mailed to delivery, which is reasonable. I did not furnish hotel reservations, only bank statement and multiple airline tickets.  

Just received my METV from the Thai Embassy Los Angeles. Took the usual two weeks from the day I mailed to delivery, which is reasonable. I did not furnish hotel reservations, only bank statement and multiple airline tickets.

Thanks for the update Runner. Are you an American citizen?

Thanks for the update Runner. Are you an American citizen?

Yes, I am.

Did you actually purchase multiple airline tickets?

Or only a return ticket 6 months later?

Well a week later and my email hadn't gotten a response so I tried calling on 323.962.9574 (LA Consulate) but it's just an automated number which gives you visa advice - no option to speak to anyone. Some interesting info in there, but not specifically what I needed to know...

Thats not true , i just talked to the los angeles consulate about getting a o family visa for 3 months, try calling them again. It takes 2 days to get a visa there.

Did you actually purchase multiple airline tickets?

Or only a return ticket 6 months later?

Yes, I furnished copies of two round trip tickets along with bank statement. I did not furnish hotel reservations.

Thats not true , i just talked to the los angeles consulate about getting a o family visa for 3 months, try calling them again. It takes 2 days to get a visa there.

Correct. Soeak to the operator and ask for extension 230, which is the visa section

Archived