Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Questions about Songkran in Chiang Mai

donaldente

Hi,

Last year (2015) my wife and I did Songkran for the first time.  Since we spent most of our time on Soi 6, we found it quite rough.  We ended up at the doctor's two days later, both with ear infections (since some farangs took great joy in squirting people in the ear.)  But all in all we did have a great time.

Next year (2017) our daughter's Easter vacation lines up with Songkran and we are considering taking her (13 years old) to Chiang Mai for Songkran.  Obviously, with our daughter, we will not be in p4p tourist areas (what little there is in Chiang Mai.)  But my wife has concerns that even in non p4p tourist areas it will be too rough.  So she wanted me to ask the board what Songkran is like in Chiang Mai.  And would we have a good time without worrying that a drunk tourist accidentally hurting our daughter.  (Needless to say we will be staying off motorcycles during Songkran.)

This will be our daughter's first trip to Thailand (I lost track on how many time my wife and I have been there.) The main reason we are going to Chiang Mai will be to go to the Baanchang Elephant Park and Flight of the Gibbons.  So our decision is whether we go next Easter and do Songkran, or wait till next summer to go to Chiang Mai and skip Songkran.

donald

I can't comment on Song Kran there but I did Loy Khratong in November in Chiang Mai one year and it was incredible with street parades over a few days and literally thousands and thousands of lanterns released into the sky. If you coukd get there for that it woukd be well worth it. Need to book early as tens of thousands of tourists go there for the festival.

I did Songkran in Chiang Mai in 2013.

It was a great experience, extremely busy and went on for about 5 days from 9am until about 8pm.

By day 3 the novelty of getting drenched with water lost it's appeal. There were a lot of motorbike accidents there as well as I remember as the whole city became a giant slip and slide. Which brought the whole traffic in the city to a standstill and traveling about was tough.

I'm glad I did one time, but wouldn't do it in Chiang Mai again.

This year was my first and last time to be in country during Songkran. 

I've been here for 4 years... lots and lots of people bring their children out to participate for Songkran. Your daughter is likely to see worse behavior out of the farang tourists than she will see from locals. The entire area around the moat is the play area, with Thapae gate being the focal point. Lots parades in the day time, monks about, etc. Then the water fights start about mid day.

My big problem is that it continues on for a friggin week usually. I'm fine with a day or two, but a week is too long. I usually leave town.

But yeah, to answer the question at hand... Songkran is quite clean in Chiang Mai... nothing like Pattaya at all.

Proverbs 21:19 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

Thanks everyone for the replies

went on for about 5 days from 9am until about 8pm.

that it continues on for a friggin week

Googling Songkran in Chiang Mai shows that it is celebrated April 13 - 15. So what day does it really start and what is the absolutely last day?  Also, is there a main day that that biggest celebrations (parades) happen on?

As I said, last year we were in Pattaya.  There Songkran went to April 19, with April 19 being the big day.  But it is my understanding the each town celibates it on their own schedule.

donald

Pretty sure the days change each year.

And you can believe Google all ya want... there may be a huge difference between what you read on the interwebs and what you experience in reality.

I'm tellin ya, it's usually a week. I know because I am house-bound for a week if I dont leave town. This past year was the first time it has ever been shortened to 3 days and that due to an extreme drought. Normally, it's full on for 7 damn days.

Proverbs 21:19 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

Pretty sure the days change each year.

And you can believe Google all ya want... there may be a huge difference between what you read on the interwebs and what you experience in reality.

I'm tellin ya, it's usually a week. I know because I am house-bound for a week if I dont leave town. This past year was the first time it has ever been shortened to 3 days and that due to an extreme drought. Normally, it's full on for 7 damn days.

Hi WarProfiteer,

It seems to me that you felt that I was questioning your information on when is Songkran.  Please believe me that I was not doing that.  As you say, you should not trust the internet.  That is why I was asking a fellow board member (who lives in Chiang Mai) what are the real dates that you end up getting wet.  And also which are the best parade and party days. 

After spending 6 days on Soi 6 last year during Songkran, I do not think I could stand more that two or three days doing it again in Chiang Mai.  So I am trying to get information on when we should show up in Chiang Mai and then get the hell out of Dodge.

donald

Archived