IGNORED

Golf Course conditions

bjarne

Coming to Patts in early june with a group of lads for some fun and golf.

Booked rounds at Laem Chabang & Siam Plantation.

Looking also at Burapha, St Andrews and Green Valley. Some of the other posts suggest Green Valley is in poor condition? Can anyone confirm and does that look like a solid list or are there others we should add.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the courses are Dry due to lack of rain...Water is restricted in many cases..Green Valley dry as chips...Greens are normally OK but you see Staff spraying them..Bangpra was a big disapointment it was mainly a dust Bowl yesterday...We Need more Rain...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Ok, still have 5 weeks to go so hopefully the rains come. Might have to stick to the top courses as they usually have the water.

The Siam courses are always presented well. They have their own water supply so not relying on public supplies. Look at their sports days & play all 3 courses if you want.

Green valley very hit & miss.

Yeah could well end up doing that. Any ideas what the Waterside course is like? Not seen many reviews about it.

Emerald and Navy are good options for budget courses.

Played both in March and seemed to be reasonable cover (grass)

Mountain Shadow was fucked.....

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Treasure Hill is in decent nick , & very reasonably priced , when you consider that it is 1 of the better tests in the area .

Edges of fairways can be a bit scrappy , but greens are true .

Emerald not even in the same class as TH , condition wise .

Treasure Hill is in decent nick , & very reasonably priced , when you consider that it is 1 of the better tests in the area .

Edges of fairways can be a bit scrappy , but greens are true .

Emerald not even in the same class as TH , condition wise .

Wow...how they change. Played TH a year or 2 back...maybe longer, bad enough that we agreed not to go back.

Wow...how they change. Played TH a year or 2 back...maybe longer, bad enough that we agreed not to go back.

If it was 2+ years back , that is a lot of scope for change anywhere.

For me , TH has always been play worthy , represents a good test , which is a lot of the reason behind some (not saying you) don't like it.

Too many get confused with their poor play & the poor conditioning of a course.

Having said that , the great majority of courses are suffering due to the heat & lack of rain , just consider value when making comparisons .

TH has a deal going 1200 GF , CF & single cart , on a challenging course , worthy of your consideration (IMO) .

For me , TH has always been play worthy , represents a good test , which is a lot of the reason behind some (not saying you) don't like it.

Having said that , the great majority of courses are suffering due to the heat & lack of rain , just consider value when making comparisons .

TH has a deal going 1200 GF , CF & single cart , on a challenging course , worthy of your consideration (IMO) .

Yeah, I remember the challenge.....3 of the par 5's needed a lay up with the drive....and they had double doglegs.

Yeah, I remember the challenge.....3 of the par 5's needed a lay up with the drive....and they had double doglegs.

Agree 100%. Along with Greenwood (10 minutes further away) my current two favorites for general condition, great greens and value for money.

Playing Pattavia Friday and Pattana Monday so see what condition they are in but as in same area I am expecting them to be good.

Pleasant Valley had "fontoc mak mak" Sunday night to the extent that carts were not allowed on the fairways.  

Was impressed with Thai Navy North and West last week which was in much better condition then expected with reasonably speedy greens.

Any recommendations for good value on Saturdays during this time? Silky Oak?

Any recommendations for good value on Saturdays during this time? Silky Oak?

Have a look at prices here - don't know how busy they will be however as have not played at the weekend for some years.

May-Rates.pdf

Nice one

TH & Greenwood certainly are good value. Would be interested to hear how the condition is at Pattana as well.

Actually all the golf courses around Pattaya seem good value compared to Phuket. Now if only you could mix the 2 into 1 would be paradise. Cracking beaches with cheap plentiful golf.

Agree 100%. Along with Greenwood (10 minutes further away) my current two favorites for general condition, great greens and value for money.

Playing Pattavia Friday and Pattana Monday so see what condition they are in but as in same area I am expecting them to be good.

Pleasant Valley had "fontoc mak mak" Sunday night to the extent that carts were not allowed on the fairways.  

Was impressed with Thai Navy North and West last week which was in much better condition then expected with reasonably speedy greens.

Pattana was superb in March, they've just made the 9th a par 6 ....I'm not sure which nine this is but it was the par 5 back to the clubhouse with water left of the green.

Pattana was superb in March, they've just made the 9th a par 6 ....I'm not sure which nine this is but it was the par 5 back to the clubhouse with water left of the green.

The last time I played it was end of Feb and it was still a par 5 then - but they had the tees further back on the left towards the water which I had never used. I am guessing thats for when it is a par 6?

I think that's the A loop. B starts in front of the club house with water right and left and C is over past the car parks. 

The last time I played it was end of Feb and it was still a par 5 then - but they had the tees further back on the left towards the water which I had never used. I am guessing thats for when it is a par 6?

I think that's the A loop. B starts in front of the club house with water right and left and C is over past the car parks. 

Yep, that's the one...we were offered the option (by the caddies) to play it as a 5 or a 6. 

I guess eventually it will just be a par 6 so only one card needs to be printed. (it wasn't on the card as a 6 in March)

Ok, we are playing Laem Chabang & Siam Plantation.

Of these 4 which 2 would you guys recommend given most of us are relatively high handicaps 17-22, we don't know the courses, late nights and alcohol, temps given we don't usually start before 11.

Burapha,Pattana,Greenwood,Treasure Hills

TH sounds good but worried it might be to demanding given the above.

Yes it is definitely the A 9 , 

Really , A already has the other par 6 , which is merely a glorified par 5.  I would prefer to see both left as par 5s & perhaps the indexes changed to reflect their degree of difficulty.  

3 solid shots from pretty much most A flighters will get them on the green , makes a bit of a nonsense of the par 6 status.

If the indexes were changed , longer handicappers would get 2 shots on a par 5 , & if they managed their game 1/2 decently would probably make a bogey for 3 points , more often than not .  While lower markers would have the risk & reward alternative , for their 3rd shot.

Pattana has access to plenty of water & the course is in good condition when others tend to suffer from the dry.

Of these 4 which 2 would you guys recommend given most of us are relatively high handicaps 17-22, we don't know the courses, late nights and alcohol, temps given we don't usually start before 11.

Burapha & Pattana would be my choice. 

Burapha and Greenwood just over Pattana. 

Reason - Greenwood fairways a little more forgiving and it is currently great value. You could also argue that for higher handicappers water comes into play a bit more at Pattana - especially on some par 3s. Pattana club house and facilities however are top notch whereas Greenwood's is a bit basic by comparison. Agree with leaving out TH as it can beat you up.

Edit - mind you if playing LC and Plantation then value isn't really a concern........ :Think1:

Burapha and Greenwood just over Pattana.

Reason - Greenwood fairways a little more forgiving and it is currently great value. You could also argue that for higher handicappers water comes into play a bit more at Pattana - especially on some par 3s. Pattana club house and facilities however are top notch whereas Greenwood's is a bit basic by comparison. Agree with leaving out TH as it can beat you up.

Edit - mind you if playing LC and Plantation then value isn't really a concern........ :Think1:

This is our annual lads golf gettaway, last few years have been Phuket and Hua Hin. We love to play a couple of the top notch courses just for the joy of playing on immaculate facilities. LB & SP will be played on there Sports days and compared to Phuket & HH represent great value.

With a couple of cheap rounds at Greenwood/Burapha/Pattana our total golf spend will be way under previous trips.

I might be wrong, maybe sleeping, but is not greenwood a bit of a trek?

Edit; Pattana seemed a long way also, but facilities better, less hungover and enjoyed the course.

all opinions though. 

For closeness to Pattaya (shorter drive) I would choose Burapha and Pattana.....long way to Treasure Hill and I believe Greenwood is further.

Can get to Burapha in about 25 minutes (it's across the road from Laem Chabang) and Pattana about 40 depending on the traffic lights.

Archived