IGNORED

Tourist Visa extension - WTF?

fatjack1

I've just had an exciting afternoon.  I'm not one to put things off and my tourist visa ran until May 8 and it is only May 4th now.  But, for the last few days I've been trying to get in touch with the visa service next door that I have used on prior trips to save me going to Jomtien.

So finally she is there this afternoon and I ask her if she can do the extension service for me again.  First off she tells me there will be an overstay.  I'm like WTF?  May 4 and good til May 8.  She mentions it is 3:15 and Immigration is closed tomorrow and friday for some holiday.  Then the weekend when my Visa expires.  I'm like  :Puke2:

Then she says I MUST personally appear in Jomtien.  So, I decide it's off to Immigration.  It is about 3:45 when I flag down a baht bas and turn him into a taxi from Soi 13 and Second Road.  Traffic sucks.  I arrive at about 4:10 and they close in 20 minutes.  

I rush in (kinda like the thai police rushing to crime scenes) and there is a girl at the front desk who looks at my shit.  Now I already filled out the form.  Yeah right.  There are NEW forms now.  And copies to be made.  BTW bring something like a business card with the address of where you stay.  But they all want to leave so the girl is really helpful including filling out the forms for me as I didn't have reading glasses and the lighting sucked.  She tells me I will be the last one today.  

Get over to the next step at about 4:20.  Give her all my papers and sit.  She looks lost and eventually says 1900 baht.  I'm so relieved it's going to work.  I give her 2000 and she gives me 100 baht change.  I sit there since no one has said differently.  A few minutes later she says "1900 baht".   :Disease1:

I assure her I have already paid and her co-worker saw it so I'm in the clear.  A few minutes later Bob's your uncle and I walk out with my extension.

I get it they don't want the wrong people in thailand.  But if a guy who does nothing but spend money like a drunken sailor on golf, eating, drinking and single mothers funds how in the world am i  NOT exactly the kind of tourist they want?  Whatever.

Exciting times.  Go out, eat, drink and have a good time.   :beer9:

// First off she tells me there will be an overstay.  I'm like WTF?  May 4 and good til May 8.  She mentions it is 3:15 and Immigration is closed tomorrow and friday for some holiday.  Then the weekend when my Visa expires.  I'm like  :Puke2:

If your autorisation of stay expires a week end or during a holiday, you can go the first day immigration is open after this date and get your extension without penalty for any overstay :)

i bet the visa service lady knew that very well and hoped you did not and was planning on collecting an extra 500 bt a day from you without having to pass it on

i know that is the way it works so does Oukiva and many others on here, it would be impossible for the visa service agent to be ignorant of the way it works with holiday closures

I'm not sure what you're complaining about?

The Visa extension process is straightforward, you followed it, and got your extension.

What is the WTF part of your experience?

by the way pretty sure it's shut 5 to 9 open again tues 10 th...................and expect it to be busy

Ah good, so now you're up to date with how to get a Visa Extension.   :GoldenSmile1:

If you're planning to do much more of it I suggest you seek out Jerry's thread on the topic - it can get harder yet.

Immigration is running like clockwork nowadays and it sounds like they did you proud all things considered.

it is easy losing days in Pattaya but glad you got it.

She mentions it is 3:15 and Immigration is closed tomorrow and friday for some holiday.  Then the weekend when my Visa expires.  I'm like  :Puke2:

I get it they don't want the wrong people in thailand.  But if a guy who does nothing but spend money like a drunken sailor on golf, eating, drinking and single mothers funds how in the world am i  NOT exactly the kind of tourist they want?  Whatever.

Yes, Thai Immigration offices will be closed from 5-9 May and 20-22 May.

Where do you get the impression you're 'not the kind of tourist they want'?

Sure, you say you are a fine upstanding ATM, but remember that Khun SoAndSo at the Immigration Office doesn't know you from Mister Criminal Workingontouristvisa.

That's why there are rules and regulations that (theoretically, this is Thailand after all) everyone is supposed to follow.

Mister Farang can't just exempt himself from the law just because he feels like it.   :Dunno:

Unsure what's WTF about this. You went to the office, filled out your form, handed over your money, and walked out with your extension like everyone else. The nice girl even helped you out when she didn't really have to.

So many comments for my buddy fatjack.

My head is gonna explode.

Glad to see you got it sorted and everything is ok.

I know how weak your heart is and would've hated to see you have a grabber in Immigration.

Your a lump for the Thais to drag back to your condo and flip you off the balcony.Would take at least 5 of them.

Why didn't you give them another 1900 baht it was a tip for them helping you.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

The WTF is for the inability to remotely extend as in the past.  Not sure why all the excitement about that.  

BTW, if you are planning on doing this and being prepared I'm not sure where to get them but there are additional forms from the previous single page to fill out.  Might be nice to find and download them.

As for being a lump Mr Skalliwag - well I doubt 5 of them could do it.   :Finger5:

The WTF is for the inability to remotely extend as in the past.  Not sure why all the excitement about that.  

BTW, if you are planning on doing this and being prepared I'm not sure where to get them but there are additional forms from the previous single page to fill out.  Might be nice to find and download them.

Excitement? Not really, but it's been highlighted quite a lot that 'in person' means that agents probably cannot do this work for you beyond the form filling.

AFAIK the same applies to Retirement Extensions, although I still see agents adverting that they can do them......dunno.

Regardless I don't think 'in person' is new, but it's being enforced this year as part of the general tightening up on security.

Lots of people haven't done such extensions this year, so no harm in highlighting it once again - things do change.   :GoldenSmile1:

Excitement? Not really, but it's been highlighted quite a lot that 'in person' means that agents probably cannot do this work for you beyond the form filling.

AFAIK the same applies to Retirement Extensions, although I still see agents adverting that they can do them......dunno.

Regardless I don't think 'in person' is new, but it's being enforced this year as part of the general tightening up on security.

Lots of people haven't done such extensions this year, so no harm in highlighting it once again - things do change.   :GoldenSmile1:

I did not know it was against the rules to have an agent do it for you so I learned something.  But yeah, they are tighter now.  They want you sitting in immigration in front of the camera so no one can do it for you.  

Archived