IGNORED

Letter from Embassy to transfer visa to new passport

Altrini

Hi All 

Does anyone have an example of what the letter from one's embassy looks like to transfer your Thai visa to a new passport?  A clear link would help as the closest I got was this which does not state the rules clearly. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

I went to the Immigration in Pattaya today and they said I need a letter from my Embassy saying I have a new passport.  The immigration person was rude, impolite and very uncooperative. Once your not from a known Western country the treatment is not so tolerant - waiting in line does offer some opportunity to observe.  

Actually I found out  the letter should state that my old passport has been cancelled and a new one issues and why a new passport was issued. The old one ran out of pages. However when I asked for details, example or a website I got no reply but the immigration person got more upset and said all Embassy knows.  My Embassy is in London which issued the passport as we do not have one in Thailand or nearby. I called my Embassy in London and they said that they never had this request thus need something official but based on the response today may not get it.

Will go again on Wednesday but looking around just in case.

Altrini

Sounds like you had the misfortune to meet a stroppy immigration officer.

Do you still have your old passport? That was all I needed to show immigration in Nakhon Sawan when I got a new passport about 3 years ago. There was an awful lot of feverish writing and rubber stamping by the officer and, along with renewing my visa and getting a re-entry permit, she spent over an hour doing everything. I was most impressed.

Are you sure that it needs to be transferred to the new passport? Generally a visa in an expired/cancelled passport can still be used.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Unfortunately my old Thai visa (Non-O) expired two weeks ago and I need a new one but the offical at (counter 6) said I need to transfer my entry stamp (valid till May 6th) from my old passport to new one.  

However the person at counter 1 said (and saw on some other forums) that I need  letter from my embassy saying a new passport has been issued (WHY??? idiotic....).  Yet gave me little to work with even though I did ask politely for an example, "all embassy know" was her response. But not the case. 

Problem with an uncommon passport in Thailand. 

Are you sure that it needs to be transferred to the new passport? Generally a visa in an expired/cancelled passport can still be used.

I just carry the old passport with the new until visa expires then apply for new in new passport

I think you will find that your old passport is cancelled once a new one is issued and therefore has no validity, thats the reason for transferring your old visa stamps into the new passport. I had to get a new passport back in October last year and had the stamps transferred as my visa ran out in January this year.

I think you will find that your old passport is cancelled once a new one is issued and therefore has no validity, thats the reason for transferring your old visa stamps into the new passport. I had to get a new passport back in October last year and had the stamps transferred as my visa ran out in January this year.

I wasn't talking specifically about Thailand but a cancelled passport does not invalidate visas in it for at least some countries.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I wasn't talking specifically about Thailand but a cancelled passport does not invalidate visas in it for at least some countries.

I think you will find it does in Thailand otherwise no one would ever transfer visas, i was'nt going to bother until i was made aware of the fact.

Reminder if you have Thai bank accounts to take both the old and new passports into their office so they can record the new passport info. Friend was telling me the other week he neglected to do this and was denied access to his funds until he brought in the old passport, which he no longer had. His solution, used the ATM to drain the account and opened a new account, at a different bank. TIT.

I think you will find it does in Thailand otherwise no one would ever transfer visas, i was'nt going to bother until i was made aware of the fact.

In Thailand visa's are still good in your old passport. And Thai immigration does not transfer visa's to a new passport.

What they will transfer to a new passport is a permission to stay stamp or extension of stay.

I think what the OP really has is an extension of stay not a visa.

It was no problem with my cambodian visa, I got my new passport last august, came in and showed both passports, accepted and new passport was dated.

Put both in the safe till november when my year visa was up, took them both to travel agent and got my new year visa in new passport.

Most countries do it this way and tell you to keep both passports together till visa expires.

signaturesml.jpg.764ff137c2c3de0437af6705465cff7f.jpg   

Android APP       iPhone APP

I received my new passport at the embassy in Bangkok. When I picked it up they just gave me the letter. With that and my old and new passport Immigration was a breeze. I can only dream that my other trips there could go so smooth.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

I did it, there is a form on the embassy website, marked clearly, download it, fill it out and go to immigration, other than the line, 5 minutes

I know for a fact that if your U.S. passport expires, so does the current visa in it.

I found that out the hard way last year.

I went down on September 8 (2 days before my retirement visa expired) and took both the old and the new passport. Since the passport had expired on August 24, I was hit with a hefty fine for something like an 18 or 20 day overstay. I was told the visa had already expired on August 24 -- the day the passport expired.

I know for a fact that if your U.S. passport expires, so does the current visa in it.

I found that out the hard way last year.

I went down on September 8 (2 days before my retirement visa expired) and took both the old and the new passport. Since the passport had expired on August 24, I was hit with a hefty fine for something like an 18 or 20 day overstay. I was told the visa had already expired on August 24 -- the day the passport expired.

Go look at your old passport again and check the expiration date of the "retirement visa", (which is really an extension of stay, It's not a visa).

A while back they changed the policy so a "Retirement Visa" will be issued with an expiration date to match the passport expiration if the passport is going to expire in less than one year from the date they give it to you.

Visas are still valid in expired passports up until the visa expiration date.

Went back again today to Immigration Pattaya. With the information form my Embassy stating that they do not issue a certificate letter for a new passport and would like to see something offical or at least be contacted by Thai Immigration.  However the the Immigration depart would not give me a copy of what is required, a link to website nor contact my Embassy.  

I noticed on the USA Embassy website did mention this letter. "After receiving the new passport, please take it to Thai Immigration together with the old passport to transfer the entry stamp/Thai visa. Our office will provide you with a letter to facilitate the transfer."If anyone has template would be useful. 

Otherwise to get a new entry stamp on my new passport I would have to leave the country an re-enter but would need a visa before arriving in Thailand which is difficult while looking for a job. So kind of stuck in limbo.  

Unfortunately my old Thai visa (Non-O) expired two weeks ago and I need a new one but the offical at (counter 6) said I need to transfer my entry stamp (valid till May 6th) from my old passport to new one.  

However the person at counter 1 said (and saw on some other forums) that I need  letter from my embassy saying a new passport has been issued (WHY??? idiotic....).  Yet gave me little to work with even though I did ask politely for an example, "all embassy know" was her response. But not the case. 

Problem with an uncommon passport in Thailand. 

It sounds to me that you entered on a non-immigrant type-O visa that allows you to stay for 90 days. Is that correct?

If that is correct there is no need to transfer your entry stamp before you leave the country, if that is what you plan to do. They will organise it when you leave. I done this last year and it was no problem. When you get to immigration they will send you to another area to have it sorted. Of course if your intention is to apply for an extension of stay this will not work.

edit: ooops just read your last post so maybe not.

Went back again today to Immigration Pattaya. With the information form my Embassy stating that they do not issue a certificate letter for a new passport and would like to see something offical or at least be contacted by Thai Immigration.  However the the Immigration depart would not give me a copy of what is required, a link to website nor contact my Embassy.  

I noticed on the USA Embassy website did mention this letter. "After receiving the new passport, please take it to Thai Immigration together with the old passport to transfer the entry stamp/Thai visa. Our office will provide you with a letter to facilitate the transfer."If anyone has template would be useful. 

Otherwise to get a new entry stamp on my new passport I would have to leave the country an re-enter but would need a visa before arriving in Thailand which is difficult while looking for a job. So kind of stuck in limbo.  

Is this any good ?

Transfer Visa Statement (656x800).jpg

I don't think a copy of a letter from the embassy of a country other than your own will work.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

// I need  letter from my embassy saying a new passport has been issued (WHY??? idiotic....) //

It's a standard procédure here in Thailand, yes, but it's not in fact specific to Thailand. By example many countries of North-Africa have the same rule. This letter from your Embassy for a new passport is often called "Certificate of Genuineness" of a new Passport. It must indicate which passport the new one replaces, and why this new one has been issued. It seems strange that your embassy never has been asked for one.

I don't think a copy of a letter from the embassy of a country other than your own will work.

Lol, i think he's after a template ehh, WTF does template mean ?

Thanks Pumpuynarak.  

This is what is needed.  I could now send this to my Embassy in London and have one done. If anything there is the contact details or the British Embassy in Bangkok for further explanation.  

Oukiva.

Most of the guys I know that worked in North Africa never needed a  "Certificate of Genuineness and nor did I when working in UAE or Oman where I did transfer my local visa. But thanks for the term. 

You learn something new everyday. 

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary a template is, "something that is used as an example of how to do, make, or achieve something." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/template

Thanks Pumpuynarak.  

This is what is needed.  I could now send this to my Embassy in London and have one done. If anything there is the contact details or the British Embassy in Bangkok for further explanation.  

Oukiva.

Most of the guys I know that worked in North Africa never needed a  "Certificate of Genuineness and nor did I when working in UAE or Oman where I did transfer my local visa. But thanks for the term. 

You learn something new everyday. 

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary a template is, "something that is used as an example of how to do, make, or achieve something." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/template

Glad i could be of help. I knew what template meant but i did wonder if 'padfoot' did lol

Archived