IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

Thai BBQ at Rompho has been 199bht. Maybe they put price up. Excellent place to go with TG. They tend to run out of some stuff like oysters if you go late.

2 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

Thai BBQ at Rompho has been 199bht. Maybe they put price up. Excellent place to go with TG. They tend to run out of some stuff like oysters if you go late.

Price shows now @ B229.  At that price level, consider they would have to "run out of" the more expensive stuff like oysters later on.

Only thing annoying me now is the opening at 5:00pm.  Do not wish to be baht bussing out there in the dark... Great for the locals I guess...

The 100-baht Sunday chicken dinner at the Marquee Bar on Soi Buakhao has declined a bit in quality compared with past meals, but I still rank it as good, just not as good as it once was.  Here's what I had yesterday at about 2.00 p.m.

IMG_0003.jpg.bc4aa887a4fa8a47c7c87252a23b97ec.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg.c87f13e63abffc7aad4b6df23272d674.jpg

The chicken breast fillet was tender and moist with a natural chicken taste but no seasoning.  The skin showed no sign of browning or crispness-

IMG_0017.jpg.79d9e5044bfe6a2fcf57f5c89bce6d03.jpg

so i'm guessing it had been poached in water rather than oven-cooked or pan-fried.  The roast potatoes were good, but I only got three small pieces.  The Yorkshire was a touch too heavy and eggy for my taste, but not bad.

IMG_0005.jpg.c753b838a986557dee5ba80ec8aa17d4.jpg

The vegetables hadn't had the flavor boiled out of them and I appreciated the sliver of sweet corn.  The gravy was generic.  The meal was pretty bland but nevertheless tasted good,  especially considering the price.  You can't expect a sensational Sunday dinner for 100 baht. However, if it slips even further, then it will belong in the mediocre category and that would be a shame.

By way of comparison, this is the Sunday dinner I got at Marquee a few months ago:

_MG_0010.jpg.3a13f20b97b5f75f94fbf1e8726053b7.jpg

There had been more effort to season the chicken in the past.

The Marquee Bar is a pleasant enough place for a meal, so I hope its Sunday special doesn't lose more ground. 

IMG_0021.jpg.9d35e8449e6adbcc8895b53e2750ef1e.jpg

To make things clear:  there are numerous restaurants in Pattaya that have bigger and better Sunday roast dinners, but the Marquee is up near the top when it comes to value for money.  I also like the relatively small portion.  It's enough for me and I don't overeat. 

3a.jpg.d77650572471ffd9a99486c4bc729e8e.jpg

I'm not much impressed by the beef and pork dinners at the Marquee.  I'd rather spend a bit more and get more elsewhere.  But for chicken, the Marquee has offered a decent meal for  100 baht.  It also has a 100-baht special on fish and chips on Fridays.

10.jpg.f75be85b630d7c076e99c1f6fcfb6ecc.jpg 

Has anyone tried it?

Evil

• Like 2

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

28 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Has anyone tried it?

Many, many times.

Not the best in town, but better than a lot places charging three times that.

8 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0075.jpg.f5f4eba0c7396ced2da8c7c6ac3b1604.jpg

If they spent a bit more on their ingredients and bit more care when cooking, there would be no need for the pointless lettuce, cucumber, and tomato to jazz the plate up.

Edited by Taa_Saparot
  • Like 3

I like to go to Chill Inn for thai food which has been good everytime, haven't tried any of their western dishes but my friend said they're good.

On 22/02/2019 at 11:23, ChiFlyer said:

I was browsing around the Restaurant Forum looking for some ideas for inexpensive new places to try heading South on Jomtien Beach Road. I have done Pupen's (many times), Akavit (it's ok), and Surf Kitchen (boo). I noticed that Tequila Sunrise seems to be well liked by several people. I might give it a try. One question.

From what I am seeing this is UK style food. Not meaning to insult anyone, but not my thing and the GF hates it. Do they have other items on the menu? I checked their web site and they get a D- for the info value.

Yes definitely British style, I think they post specials on the Facebook food groups but that’s all I know. I’ve only ever tried the Sunday roast which was surprisingly good given the price

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Went to La Grotta, Italian place on Darkside a few nights ago. Its an open air place, never busy but always a few punters. Its convenient for me, a few min on motorcycle, so I use it about 2 or 3 times a month. Their Thai food is good.

Had a Bruschetta for starter, 5 pieces, 80B. Something I like about this place is their home made chili oil, which gives a nice kick to Bruschetta.

I had spicy salami pizza, 260B, with extra onion. Again, pimped it up a notch with the chili oil and some oregano, and was one of the better pizzas I have had in Pattaya, nice and crispy.

Missus had that Thai spaghetti dish with seafood-pad kee mao talay, 230B. It was really good. SML at 80B, house wine was 120B.

One thing that did piss me off a little, was 40B for the extra onion, bit of a rip off, considering you could buy a bag of 6 onions or so for 40B.

All in all, really like this place and will continue to use.

IMG_5955.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

6 hours ago, jimboh said:

Went to La Grotta, Italian place on Darkside a few nights ago. Its an open air place, never busy but always a few punters. Its convenient for me, a few min on motorcycle, so I use it about 2 or 3 times a month. Their Thai food is good.

Had a Bruschetta for starter, 5 pieces, 80B. Something I like about this place is their home made chili oil, which gives a nice kick to Bruschetta.

I had spicy salami pizza, 260B, with extra onion. Again, pimped it up a notch with the chili oil and some oregano, and was one of the better pizzas I have had in Pattaya, nice and crispy.

Missus had that Thai spaghetti dish with seafood-pad kee mao talay, 230B. It was really good. SML at 80B, house wine was 120B.

One thing that did piss me off a little, was 40B for the extra onion, bit of a rip off, considering you could buy a bag of 6 onions or so for 40B.

All in all, really like this place and will continue to use.

IMG_5955.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

Looks absolutely delicious but there doesn't appear to be much onion on the pizza and I wouldn't personally have oregano and they didn't miss that but overall mouthwatering. The bruscetta is something I always have as a starter and yours looks great.

25 minutes ago, Tigers2017 said:

Looks absolutely delicious but there doesn't appear to be much onion on the pizza

might be under the cheese

2 hours ago, onehunglo said:

might be under the cheese

Or he might have eaten it prior to the photo. 

Edited by Tigers2017

53 minutes ago, Tigers2017 said:

Or he might have eaten it prior to the photo. 

looks like there is onions at 7 o'clock , 3 o'clock and maybe 12 o'clock ... but i could be wrong

• 1 month later...

Went back to Mickys on Darkside-Pratamgrand,, last night and went for the pangyros, which was a Greek type dish, chicken, fries, Tzatziki and salad. It was really good and tasty and great value at 219B.

thumbnail_IMG_6247[1].jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Went back to Mickys on Darkside-Pratamgrand...

Jimboh - That looks delicious!  

Any pointers on how to find Micky’s?  

I looked on Google Maps and found a Micky’s bar, and a Mickey’s restaurant (german/thai) restaurant further out.

Thx!

I reckon it will be Mickeys restaurant, as its German/Thai.

If coming way up Soi Nernplubwarn, from Sukhumvit, its the turn off on the right, just before the Temple. That road is Soi Pattanakarn, think the Tara Pattaya international school is also on that road. Its got those funky green street light poles. Anyway, its a few K along from the Nernplubwarn turn off, there is a cluster of Bars and restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2018 at 01:37, Saddic said:

Banh Mi

On Soi Khao Talo right side about 500m after you make the turn on from Suk

Led to believe this place never re-opened after the day of the floods.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

On 04/07/2018 at 17:20, gimmesum said:

The meat wasn't falling-off-the-bone tender, but many rib enthusiasts say that if the meat literally falls off the bone, it's been overcooked.

This is true, gimmesum .. more alarming, though, it could be an indication of BBQ's Original Sin .. parboiling! .. oh, gawd, the mere thought of it makes me unsteady.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

On 25/02/2019 at 12:12, Evil Penevil said:

The 100-baht Sunday chicken dinner at the Marquee Bar on Soi Buakhao has declined a bit in quality compared with past meals, but I still rank it as good, just not as good as it once was.  Here's what I had yesterday at about 2.00 p.m.

IMG_0003.jpg.bc4aa887a4fa8a47c7c87252a23b97ec.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg.c87f13e63abffc7aad4b6df23272d674.jpg

The chicken breast fillet was tender and moist with a natural chicken taste but no seasoning.  The skin showed no sign of browning or crispness-

IMG_0017.jpg.79d9e5044bfe6a2fcf57f5c89bce6d03.jpg

so i'm guessing it had been poached in water rather than oven-cooked or pan-fried.  The roast potatoes were good, but I only got three small pieces.  The Yorkshire was a touch too heavy and eggy for my taste, but not bad.

IMG_0005.jpg.c753b838a986557dee5ba80ec8aa17d4.jpg

The vegetables hadn't had the flavor boiled out of them and I appreciated the sliver of sweet corn.  The gravy was generic.  The meal was pretty bland but nevertheless tasted good,  especially considering the price.  You can't expect a sensational Sunday dinner for 100 baht. However, if it slips even further, then it will belong in the mediocre category and that would be a shame.

By way of comparison, this is the Sunday dinner I got at Marquee a few months ago:

_MG_0010.jpg.3a13f20b97b5f75f94fbf1e8726053b7.jpg

There had been more effort to season the chicken in the past.

The Marquee Bar is a pleasant enough place for a meal, so I hope its Sunday special doesn't lose more ground. 

IMG_0021.jpg.9d35e8449e6adbcc8895b53e2750ef1e.jpg

To make things clear:  there are numerous restaurants in Pattaya that have bigger and better Sunday roast dinners, but the Marquee is up near the top when it comes to value for money.  I also like the relatively small portion.  It's enough for me and I don't overeat. 

3a.jpg.d77650572471ffd9a99486c4bc729e8e.jpg

I'm not much impressed by the beef and pork dinners at the Marquee.  I'd rather spend a bit more and get more elsewhere.  But for chicken, the Marquee has offered a decent meal for  100 baht.  It also has a 100-baht special on fish and chips on Fridays.

10.jpg.f75be85b630d7c076e99c1f6fcfb6ecc.jpg 

Has anyone tried it?

Evil

The F & C you can forget. 

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Surprise! was mentioned for ribs. It's near the intersection of Soi Buakhao and Soi 21.

The ribs were very tender, the chips/fries good and the coleslaw alright (not enough dressing to be a proper coleslaw like in the UK).

The photo below shows the medium ribs for 139 Baht.

IMG_20190502_171039r.jpg

IMG_20190502_171047.jpg

IMG_20190502_171245.jpg

IMG_20190502_172520.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sifil said:

It's near the intersection of Soi Buakhao and Soi 21.

Hey, sifil .. thanks for the pitch on this BBQ joint .. I am having difficulty actually identifying/locating this place.

A menu offering beef ribs has my attention.

Have you a name? .. or better, a map graphic of the location? .. I can find no Buakhao/Soi 21 on Google Maps.

Edited by brutox

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

1 hour ago, brutox said:

Hey, sifil .. thanks for the pitch on this BBQ joint .. I am having difficulty actually identifying/locating this place.

Have you a name? .. or better, a map graphic of the location? .. I can find no Buakhao/Soi 21 on Google Maps.

Soi 21 is across from the Tree Town entrance to Made in Thailand beer bars.

image.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Surprise+BBQ/@12.9311605,100.8861992,19.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x31029608e4de1819:0x17fa029efaf609a5!8m2!3d12.9313877!4d100.8864923

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brutox said:

That soi is actually Third Road Soi 21. Third road is where you'll find the signs. Soi Excite (Xzyte? however it's spelled) is 3rd road Soi 23, Chaiyapoon is 3rd road Soi 25 etc

I like Surprize BBQ but wish they had some sugar free soda, because I'm diabetic.

5 hours ago, brutox said:

Hey, sifil .. thanks for the pitch on this BBQ joint .. I am having difficulty actually identifying/locating this place

Someone posted a map already but you can just look for "Surprise BBQ" on Google Maps. Here's a photo of what it looks like from the outside.

IMG_20190507_132003.jpg

• Thanks 2

I love the ribs at Surprise BBQ too, but just wanted to point out to the  post by Brutox that they are actually pork ribs, The beef on the menu is for beef skewer (kebab) which I have had many times and enjoyed each time. It is obviously Thai Beef at that price, but can still be asked for medium or rare and is surprisingly (sic) tender.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the beef ribs.