IGNORED

Anyone with a METV?

Bek

So, Christmas time I applied for and got the new METV from the Thai embassy in Denmark. I was happy to see this visa announced, as it suits my needs perfectly - going out of Thailand for work a few times every month, and back again for holiday.

Since I started to flash my new METV at the immigration, I have had many of the officers looking at the visa like they've never seen it before... Fair enough.

Today it was the same thing. They guy had clearly never seen it before, and didn't know what to do with it. He needed a second opinion, so we went to see a lady - most likely of higher rank. I asked her what the problem was - if they thought that the visa was fake? No no, she says - she is just "worried that someone lie to me" - that was her exact words. She gets her small UV light out, scratches the sticker to see if it's... well... I'm not sure, but that's what she did. She ask me where I get the visa. I tell her I believe it says so on the visa, and that I can only apply for this visa in my home country, so that's where I got it from. She turns on the light again, and then calls a third guy to come have a look. They investigate the very suspect visa together, and finally the third guy gives me a thump up and a big smile.

Since many of the immigration officers seems to have never seen this visa before, I start to wonder if I'm the only one with that visa?

Any other BM with similar experiences?

It seems kind of odd that the immigration officers are not informed of the type of visas they can bump in to.

Today at lunch time it was slow at immigration, but quite a lot of people was pulled to the side for an extra check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had mine since January. Everything has gone smoothly for me, haven't experienced any of that at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang.

I've got a METV, issued in the UK in December.

I have only done 1 visa run, in February (exit & entry same day, Nong Khai/ Laos), no problems at all, I didn't leave the immigration desk until I checked that they had given me 60 days just to make sure.

Money Can't Buy Life Robert Nesta Marley

Non Imm O visas are only for persons who are married to a Thai, visiting their child, doing voluntary work or receiving a pension, all of which I am not, so my only option (to stay here for 9 months) was the METV

"Non Imm O visas are only for persons who are married to a Thai, visiting their child, doing voluntary work or receiving a pension....."

As with everything in Thailand it depends on where you go. I had a 12 month Non imm O for 7 years in a row from a consulate in australia and my friend still gets them.....by mail. Neither of us meets any of the conditions you mentioned. Consulates do tend to be more liberal in their interpretation of the rules.

i will have try next time for an O then, can't see me getting one though.

I only just got my METV after explaining my employment position (unemployed contractor) to them, it was just after the introduction or the visa though, I was told that they would do it this time but maybe not for the next application.

"Non Imm O visas are only for persons who are married to a Thai, visiting their child, doing voluntary work or receiving a pension....."

As with everything in Thailand it depends on where you go. I had a 12 month Non imm O for 7 years in a row from a consulate in australia and my friend still gets them.....by mail. Neither of us meets any of the conditions you mentioned. Consulates do tend to be more liberal in their interpretation of the rules.

Have you got one since November 13 when the METV came in? I have got the O last few years from the Brisbane Consulate but since it has closed no other consulate I contacted would issue it but advised I had to change to the METV. If you know a consulate still issuing them can you let me know please.

Well, I must look suspect, since only I have small issues at immigration.

In Denmark there's no questions about how you're employed when you apply, I just had to show booking of hotel, a entry/exit flight ticket and a bank statement showing I had some money - approx 200000 baht I believe.

I don't have the visa to try and maximize the use and stay for 9 Months with the occasional border run, I really do use it as a multiple entry visa - 7 so far.

I wouldn't think too much about it. I think they are bored doing the same thing over and over and just do it sometimes to mix up their day. I was on a non imm O visa last year where I had come back in and got a further 3 months which meant I had been in and out over a 14 month period. When I went to return to Australia, immigration pulled me up and called what looked like a supervisor to question me over why I was using the visa to stay 14 months. I told them I had no idea what they were talking about and kept showing him the visa stamp which granted me the further 3 months. He just kept repeating I was doing the wrong thing for 5 minutes. In the end he just shook his head and waved me on.

Tarl, I havnt had one since the Brisbane consulate closed but my friend got one by mail from the consul in Hobart last year. However this was before the METV came in November but the Non immig is still in use so I suggest you phone them, tell them that Brisbane used to issue them to you, ask what income/financial info they require and see how you get on.

Tarl, I havnt had one since the Brisbane consulate closed but my friend got one by mail from the consul in Hobart last year. However this was before the METV came in November but the Non immig is still in use so I suggest you phone them, tell them that Brisbane used to issue them to you, ask what income/financial info they require and see how you get on.

Thanks mate. Tried Hobart, Melbourne and Canberra but no joy. They would only issue the METV and just said the non imm O can't be issued for tourists anymore.

Hobart are really good to talk to, Melbourne were a not that interested. Ended up getting the METV through Canberra as they had the quickest turnaround at the time. Really miss the Brisbane Consulate.

Yeah, Bill and his charming wife were always helpful. I remember on one occasion I picked up my Non Immig on the way to the airport to fly to Thailand. I thought I read that he retired due to health reasons, shame if that is the case.

Yeah, Bill and his charming wife were always helpful. I remember on one occasion I picked up my Non Immig on the way to the airport to fly to Thailand. I thought I read that he retired due to health reasons, shame if that is the case.

Bill Dunn was terrific. Officially they said health reasons unofficially I was told there was a disagreement on something and he basically left on principle. He will be missed.

Well, I must look suspect, since only I have small issues at immigration.

In Denmark there's no questions about how you're employed when you apply, I just had to show booking of hotel, a entry/exit flight ticket and a bank statement showing I had some money - approx 200000 baht I believe.

I don't have the visa to try and maximize the use and stay for 9 Months with the occasional border run, I really do use it as a multiple entry visa - 7 so far.

did you pay 1000 for reentry stamp then come in/out of thailand many as you wish within 60 (or 90) days?  I assume that immigration officer will grant new 60 (or 90) day when ur original 60 day is about to expire?  i'm thinking about doing METV but never understand employment verification part because i'll give them letter and once i get it, then i guess i'll quit my job 555.  TiT logic...

did you pay 1000 for reentry stamp then come in/out of thailand many as you wish within 60 (or 90) days? I assume that immigration officer will grant new 60 (or 90) day when ur original 60 day is about to expire? i'm thinking about doing METV but never understand employment verification part because i'll give them letter and once i get it, then i guess i'll quit my job 555. TiT logic...

You don't pay for re-entry, you would only have to pay if you go to immigration and get the current entry extended with 30 days - same like on a visa waiver entry.

Basically I can (that's what's advertised anyway) enter Thailand as many times as I like, in the 6 months period the visa is valid for - but a maximum of 60 days per entry.

Employment verification is not a part of the application process in Denmark, but I'll give you that it doesn't make sense for a METV like this... Unless it's meant for weekend tourists from Singapore/Korea/Japen

Ah, lucky you 555.  One of the requirement in USA - show employment verification, etc.  Some datapoints indicate that employees aren't too concerned about employment part, and i suspect they look more harder into bank statement and return tickets...   I dont plan to make my move till summer 2017 or so, and hopefully, i dont need to study new rules by that time.

Well, it would be no problem for me to show employment verification, as I stay in Thailand in the downtime between jobs.

I called the Thai embassy in Denmark, and I was told that there would be no problems in getting the visa as long as I showed a bank statement with the required amount. As I wasn't sure on my first entry date, and even less sure about when I was leaving again, I didn't want to book a ticket. They told me to just send them a copy of the itinerary - a confirmation of the tickets wasn't necessary.

So, Christmas time I applied for and got the new METV from the Thai embassy in Denmark. I was happy to see this visa announced, as it suits my needs perfectly - going out of Thailand for work a few times every month, and back again for holiday.

Since I started to flash my new METV at the immigration, I have had many of the officers looking at the visa like they've never seen it before... Fair enough.

Today it was the same thing. They guy had clearly never seen it before, and didn't know what to do with it. He needed a second opinion, so we went to see a lady - most likely of higher rank. I asked her what the problem was - if they thought that the visa was fake? No no, she says - she is just "worried that someone lie to me" - that was her exact words. She gets her small UV light out, scratches the sticker to see if it's... well... I'm not sure, but that's what she did. She ask me where I get the visa. I tell her I believe it says so on the visa, and that I can only apply for this visa in my home country, so that's where I got it from. She turns on the light again, and then calls a third guy to come have a look. They investigate the very suspect visa together, and finally the third guy gives me a thump up and a big smile.

Since many of the immigration officers seems to have never seen this visa before, I start to wonder if I'm the only one with that visa?

Any other BM with similar experiences?

It seems kind of odd that the immigration officers are not informed of the type of visas they can bump in to.

Today at lunch time it was slow at immigration, but quite a lot of people was pulled to the side for an extra check.

I,m surprised at that at immigration.Surely there must be a visa number attached that they would be able to see on their system and cross reference showing where issued and time etc.

I,m surprised at that at immigration.Surely there must be a visa number attached that they would be able to see on their system and cross reference showing where issued and time etc.

You would think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if that information wasn't available for the stamp jockeys at the immigration desks.

Archived