IGNORED

Argument with Greek embassy BKK over spouse visa

Mr David

I'm British and my wife is Thai. We planned to visit friends in Rhodes Greece and after researching all the info and also contacting the Greek embassy it should have been a doddle.

Under EU law, the spouse of a EU citizen does not need to fill out the whole application form for a Shengen visa. It even states on the form which sections to mis out. I contact the Greek embassy to clarify all this before she went in to apply. All she needed was passport, copy of my passport, marriage certificate and translation stamped by the MFA in BKK, marriage status certificate, booked but not paid for ticket and also a booked but not paid for ticket showing I would be there the same time. First hurdle was going to be proof of marriage as they require a marriage status certificate. I asked the consulate in person where I would acquire such a certificate from and was told my own embassy could supply this. British embassy say no, sorry there is no need as a Thai marriage is recognised under EU and UK law as a legal marriage and therefore there is no such document as a marriage status certificate. Went back to Greek embassy and he agreed via email.

So she goes to apply after I assure her there is no need for photos of us together, no need for bank statements and she does not need to say anything about her employment or show any of her bank details as she is the wife of an EU citizen. Phone goes at 5.30am UK time, they say need bank statements. I assure her they don't and refer her to the relevant section on the form. Ten minutes later she calls again saying they still need bank statements. I supply her with the email from the consulate thinking this will sort it out. No they still need bank statements.

So I call the embassy direct and actually manage to speak to the consulate who assures me he will go down and sort it out. 30 minutes later she phones and says they still require bank statements. Get in touch with consulate again and he says can't do the application under the rules of 'spouse of an EU citizen' because I don't have a marriage status certificate and that's why they want bank statements. Email him back asking what's changed and point out under Greek/EU law a Thai Marriage is legal and he already told me I'd not need a status certificate and also she should not have been charged for the application as its free for the spouse of an EU citizen. I also ask him if he wanted her to fill in the section of the application that specifically says not to be filled out by the spouse of a EU citizen. And I had just made email contact to the EU assistant services for clarification of the current rules.

After about two hours of waiting I eventually heard back from him saying all the emails back and for had confused the issue and they would be proceeding with the application and money would be refunded.

Anyway a week later she received her passport, visa and money back.

Sometimes I think they deliberately make it as difficult as possible.

With the Greeks it's usually a combination of incompetence, indifference and idleness.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I am confused.. Do you or do you not have a marriage certificate?

Yes I have a marriage certificate and an English translation legalised at the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs.

They were requesting a current marriage status certificate.

Archived