IGNORED

Buying a used car

beerman

I've searched and can't find an answer so I thought I'd give it a go ....

I'm thinking about buying a used car from direct owner ... that is the actual owner versus a dealer or agent.

Has anyone done this before and if so, can you give me a basic summary of what I will need to go through to perform the transfer? For info, I'm on a retirement visa and the purchase will be a cash purchase from someone located in Pattaya.

Lastly, in the states we have web sites like Kelly Blue book that will give you the approximate value of used cars based on condition, miles, upgrades, etc. Does anyone know if this type of information is available for used cars in Thailand?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cheers

go to your insurance company with the owner and have them sort it out, or you may be in for a suprise

Lots of Web sites to compare prices and condition..Use good judgement and beware of the Super Buys that are almost always a scam...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

go to your insurance company with the owner and have them sort it out, or you may be in for a suprise

Certainly agree they should be able to help you, especially if you are purchasing first class insurance.    If you are in Pattaya, the insurance company that goes to the expat clubs does a good job,   (not to promote one business over the other..  but if you want more detail PM me) 

What will happen is your name will be added to the car blue book.    To make this happen you will need your passport, a residency letter from immigration (unless you have yellow house book with your name in it), compulsory insurance.  

If you are in Pattaya,  easy way to make this happen is you and the current owner  (once you have residence letter from immigration) go to the land transport office out on highway 36.  (same place you did driver's license)   You can do your self inside (get number), or easier is have agent do while you have coke.   Agents along roadside just before offices.  

Hope this helps

" Remember, no matter where you go, there you are " - Confucius

Certainly agree they should be able to help you, especially if you are purchasing first class insurance.    If you are in Pattaya, the insurance company that goes to the expat clubs does a good job,   (not to promote one business over the other..  but if you want more detail PM me) 

What will happen is your name will be added to the car blue book.    To make this happen you will need your passport, a residency letter from immigration (unless you have yellow house book with your name in it), compulsory insurance.  

If you are in Pattaya,  easy way to make this happen is you and the current owner  (once you have residence letter from immigration) go to the land transport office out on highway 36.  (same place you did driver's license)   You can do your self inside (get number), or easier is have agent do while you have coke.   Agents along roadside just before offices.  

Hope this helps

Thanks KK, that helps a lot. I own a condo in Pattaya in my name so I have a house book. I hate to sound like such a novice but my house book is blue ... is that what you are referring to when you say yellow book? In any case, I know that residency certs are easily obtained.

And I guess to back up to your first comment, does that mean that the insurance company will handle the entire transfer process if I purchase first class insurance or will I still personally need to go out to the land transport office?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Thanks KK, that helps a lot. I own a condo in Pattaya in my name so I have a house book. I hate to sound like such a novice but my house book is blue ... is that what you are referring to when you say yellow book? In any case, I know that residency certs are easily obtained.

And I guess to back up to your first comment, does that mean that the insurance company will handle the entire transfer process if I purchase first class insurance or will I still personally need to go out to the land transport office?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Some insurance places take care of the entire process, some don't.   If they are going to take care of it for you, you will need a power of attorney from you and the previous owner.  And copies passport, etc.    If they do all, they will tell you what is needed. 

And yes the "blue" condo house book is same same as the "yellow" property house book.  Only the cover is different color from what I have scene.   Maybe there is some thai word or form number different, don't know.. but both serve the same purpose of showing residence address.   {note:  I have read reports that land transport still wants letter from immigration, but I can not verify this...makes sense to get more money from farang... ha ha ha)

From my experience, transport office doesn't care about first class insurance.. just that you have compulsory.  That will be the form with the silver strip down the side of it, that you tear off bottom to turn in when you pay taxes each year.

One thing I forgot to mention is inspection.   If the car you are buying is 7 years old, you have to have a safety inspection before going transfer or renew.  (motorbikes 5 year old)    There are many garages around that do this, you will see a blue and white sign that looks like cogs in a wheel.   (if my memory is correct)    Or you can go to transport office and they have own inspection bay on the side of the offices. 

My "opinion" and it's only an opinion, is the best way is you and owner go to land transport office together.   Pay him/her when it appears that all is on the up and up.   They will do a serial number scratch over to make sure what you are buying is same as book.    Again, I have used the lady in booth same side as land office, just before as you coming from 36.   They know what to do, and make easy for very little money.  

Hope this helps.. good luck.

Oh.. one more thing.. from experience, the best time to arrive the land transport office is just after lunch break... 1:30 or 2.   The test takers will be out of the way (mostly) and que are less.   But don't go late like 3:30...  you can end up being sent away.   

My "opinion" and it's only an opinion, is the best way is you and owner go to land transport office together.   Pay him/her when it appears that all is on the up and up.   They will do a serial number scratch over to make sure what you are buying is same as book.    Again, I have used the lady in booth same side as land office, just before as you coming from 36.   They know what to do, and make easy for very little money.  

This.        :ThumbUp6:

Archived