IGNORED

AIS number being terminated

NightWatcher

I've had this One2Call (AIS) number for 8 years, though it's been converted to different sim cards at AIS shops over the years.

Today I received this text message which looks official

"Hurry up! Your number will be terminated soon which cannot be recovered afterward. Port your number to AIS 3G/4G at AIS Shop/Telewiz/agents as soon as possible."

Anyone know what that's about?

"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived."

Message is misleading as it's not the number that is being terminated, but 2G service. Your phone probably isn't compatible with 3G/4G system so you'll need to get a new phone. Friend just did that at Telewiz in Tukcom. He turned in his old phone and they gave him a replacement at no charge. Granted it's a crappy phone, but the price was right.

As Force says, it's because AIS is in a push to convert their remaining 2G subscribers to 3G/4G service so their current 2G spectrum can be repurposed for 4G use by True/Jasmine.

The deadline is in March when current AIS 2G service will be shut down.

I had the same message and went to the AIS shop on the 1st floor of Central Festival.

It had to do with 3g/4G and my phone not being compatible. I was told I needed to buy a new phone (could keep the same phone number).

I have a relatively new phone and didn't really want to buy a new one and told the guy I didn't need it to connect to the internet anyway.

He gave me a new SIM card for free and I'm good to go. Even though I don't use the phone service to connect to the internet the wifi still works and LINE still works.

Went to AIS Central Festival today...

They just copied my existing card contents onto a new SIM...

Easy

I have an old Nokia dumb phone...

Thanks for the replies.

In that case I'll go visit the AIS store tomorrow.

Cheers

"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived."

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I went to the AIS shop in Central Festival Beach Road.
This shop is located at the beach side end of the ground floor (Level G) and remains open until 8 p.m.
They proposed to replace my old Nokia mobile for free.
I had a choice between several models with a keyboard or with a touch screen.
I opted for a Lava W3 black with a keyboard, a camera and two SIM cards (official price 890 baht, VAT included).
I was told that this mobile could only be used inside Thailand, which is not really an issue as this is my spare mobile.
The SIM card was not replaced; it was probably recent enough.
(Last summer I went to the Telewiz shop at Big C Sukhumvit to have my two One2Call SIM cards registered and changed to English language.)
The only thing they wanted me to pay at the AIS shop in Central Festival Beach Road was 100 baht credit.
They needed (a copy of) my passport, just to copy my name; I guess a Thai driving licence will do too.

I have a Samsung S3 which I believe is Ok for 3G but I got a SMS from AIS to say my phone wasn't set up for 3G and to get it modified (my interpretation). I showed the message to a friend and he did something in an attempt to get me 3G.

Unfortunately I now cannot phone out or receive calls  and even an SMS  'failed' . So I suppose it is off to Telewhiz in the morning.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

I have a Samsung S3 which I believe is Ok for 3G but I got a SMS from AIS to say my phone wasn't set up for 3G and to get it modified (my interpretation). I showed the message to a friend and he did something in an attempt to get me 3G.

Unfortunately I now cannot phone out or receive calls  and even an SMS  'failed' . So I suppose it is off to Telewhiz in the morning.

It most likely wasn't the phone, but the programming of the AIS SIM which needed to be changed/updated.  Should have taken the SIM in to an AIS store to have it switched out for a new one.

I'm a bit late to this thread but I first had to get my old 2G SIM to the AIS shop so the contents, including number, could be transferred to a new 3G/4G SIM for free. However it took about 24 hours for the new SIM to activate. Then my old SIM died and I put in the new one. I ended up getting one of the touch screen phones on the phone trade in plan.

I've had this One2Call (AIS) number for 8 years, though it's been converted to different sim cards at AIS shops over the years.

Today I received this text message which looks official

"Hurry up! Your number will be terminated soon which cannot be recovered afterward. Port your number to AIS 3G/4G at AIS Shop/Telewiz/agents as soon as possible."

Anyone know what that's about?

The message could be correct. Perhaps your old Simcard does not support 3G.

I am no expert but i was at AIS this morning to get my phone reset for 3G (I got message it wasn't although the phone was suitable) and the first question they asked was "do you have a 3G Simcard",

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Archived