Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Koh Chang Car entry ban? INFO UPDATE post #19

Encora

This is breaking news.

Posted on separate thread here for that reason.

Nam reported to me that her driver, who was going to pick up some customers she delivered to a Koh Chang hotel a few days ago, was refused to take her car onto the ferry. She was told a new rule, only KC residents can now take their car on the ferry all others need to walk on and take a songtheouw on the other side to get to their destination.

It seems to be connected with a new airport being constructed, well, this one story.

Smell like a scam to me, some local bigwig out to make a buck some way or other.

Anyway, be warned, you may not be able to take your car or taxi across. And if you are there, and your cabbie doesn't arrive, contact your booking agent.

Maybe the full story will come out tomorrow..

What is this bullshit?

Friends went there yesterday with minibus and everything was as usual.

And what fucking airport, where and when???

"Nam reported to me that her driver, who was going to pick up some customers she delivered to a Koh Chang hotel a few days ago, was refused to take her car onto the ferry. She was told a new rule, only KC residents can now take their car on the ferry all others need to walk on and take a songtheouw on the other side to get to their destination.

It seems to be connected with a new airport being constructed, well, this one story."

Not sure about ferry owners.

Clarification:

The taxis apparently are allowed onto the ferry if they are dropping off passengers at a hotel on KC, but not allowed to pick them back up from the hotel again. So right now, one of Nam's drivers is on KC, going to pick up his passengers bags from his hotel, passenger is not allowed to get into his car to go to the ferry, but must take a Songtaew to the ferry. Then on other side he can get into the taxi again...

i am not really sure how they are going to police that, what it the driver gets out of the hotel courtyard on the road, passenger walks out onto the road and gets into the car?

TIT!

What is this bullshit?

Friends went there yesterday with minibus and everything was as usual.

If some THAI NAM do not have money buy ferry ticket, then she must tell us fairytales.

And what fucking airport, where and when???

I just reported what info she received by messenger  from her driver, who did manage to cross by car, but cannot pick up passengers  

Your jibe about money for ferry tickets is pure conjecture.

I merely tried to alert people traveling there to warn them. The whole story will come out later no doubt...

I have no idea, this was what the driver mentioned to Nam when calling/writing from Koh Chang last night, maybe irrelevant.

I'll ask her next time I talk with her...

It maybe as result of a complaint by airprot taxis i Trat, only 17 km way from the ferry pier, who don't like the competition of other cabs on their turf, or who may want to limit competition of gray taxis. But that is pure speculation on my part. May hear more when said driver comes back to Pattaya .

Hummm, I was planning to drive my motorbike down and take it across on the ferry in about 2 weeks. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to be connected with a new airport being constructed, well, this one story.

Why would anyone be building a new airport there (despite Trat being owned by Bangkok Airways) there's only about 3 flights in and out every day so there's not much demand.

Don't recall seeing a suitable location on the island either .... Was there at Songkran last year and the queue to get off took a couple of hours plus crossing time so there's going to be a lot of pissed off car drivers and hotel owners when the cars don't turn up !

SJL

Certainly no warning of it when I crossed at beginning of Feb .... but who could discount such a crazy scheme.

Hummm, I was planning to drive my motorbike down and take it across on the ferry in about 2 weeks. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

You will have no problem getting on the ferry with your motorbike or car or taxi, don't worry :-)

Edit: if it's a rented motorbike make sure it has the right number plate, not a red one.

Any updates on this? I love taking my car onto the island.

It's a car ferry, they're not gonna ban cars on the Island...

Ok! I edit little bit, but stil, what f$$/&& airport?

Actually there is an 'airport' a few km's past Chai Chet on the way to Lonely Beach you cross a river, just past the bridge on your right side there is a grass field the size of a small football field with a small old broken plane and a shack with a sign that says:' Koh Chang Airport', i have a picture from it back home.

It was probably once used by a company that used it as a base for flight tours above the island, maybe with a helicopter or very small plane, but that last is a guess.

I drive down regularly, as I try to avoid the Taxi mafia. Will be watching this scam develop to see if it affects me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryle

I drive down regularly, as I try to avoid the Taxi mafia. Will be watching this scam develop to see if it affects me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no car ban on Koh Chang!!!!!

Just to be more than 100% sure i called 3 people who live there.

Pumpui, a friend of mine took the ferry just 3 days ago, business as usual.

also the boss from Rattlesnake bar confirmed.

I repeat, you can go with your motorbike, car, taxi, minibus, bicycle, tuktuk on the ferry and drive to your hotels.

I don't know if cowboys can take their horses.

What could be a cause is that they try to ban illegal taxis, i don't know, do the anonymous taxis we all book have their licenses with pictures and number attached to the dashboard? Surely not all of them.

"Actually there is an 'airport' a few km's past Chai Chet on the way to Lonely Beach you cross a river, just past the bridge on your right side there is a grass field the size of a small football field with a small old broken plane and a shack with a sign that says:' Koh Chang Airport', i have a picture from it back home."

Know that too! "Airport" I would say, volley ball yard.

If we have nothing to do, then we just drive to Koh Chang. Stay 2-3 nights and drive back to Pattaya.

I think, has made about 100 trips so far.

Have found nice beach road after Rayong, whole way to Klungh including 4 bridges.

It was better if they build bridge there.

End of shit ferries which only polluting the sea.

Bildge water directly in the sea and toilets too.

Was in the Koh Chang now-dec 3 times with my motobike and red plates are not a issue.

Andy, I guess you are a mod, if so, trowh this thread to carbage, please.

Okay, update, it took me some time to get the correct info.

Private car and motorbike no problem.

Getting there in a taxi or minivan no problem, they bring you to the hotel.

From 18 Feb on...

Getting of the island with your own ride no problem.

Getting of the island in a taxi or van you should have to take a songthaew to the ferry and get in the van or taxi there.

I don't know if it's followed up 100 % all the time.

From the people i contacted before there were 2 who have travelled there, 1 in a private car the other in a van and had no problems, they said everything was normal.

The third left the island the 18th and came with a minibus picked up from her room so in her case the new rule was not applied.

The girl who gave me this info rang me just now.

Andy, I guess you are a mod, if so, trowh this thread to carbage, please.

No smoke without fire it seems see post above. The OP just posted the info he just got and we did some guessing.

It took 4 people who live there to actually get the right info and she is the only one who haven't been on and of the island since that new rule exists lol

She! Maybe ms.H...?

Ms. H....?

Thanks for clearing that up, Andy..

It looks like official action to protect the local songtaew drivers. So it simply means cabbies from Pattaya can drop people off from their hotel, but must puck them up again from ferry terminal on the mainland. Good to know!

And thank you for not just deleting the thread :-)

"It took 4 people who live there to actually get the right info and she is the only one who haven't been on and of the island since that new rule exists lol"

I know one Lady there, who have been on the island about 15 years.

She is from Europe and good ombudsman for people who needs help.

Her name start with H, no need to type whole name here.

And thank you for not just deleting the thread :-)

I went through your posts, you are not one to put up bullshit, and that taxi lady friend of yours has nothing to gain to lie about that so there needed to be something.

My guess was that these taxi companies might work with drivers that are not registered and there was a crackdown on that, i guessed wrong...

Archived