IGNORED

Reuse SIM or buy new Tourist SIM

exercise

I have a SIM from the last trip in September that is not a tourist type. Purchased from True and topped up for internet use mainly I used it all up when I left. Now looking at either topping this up again for internet use (ideally unlimited) for 8 days or buying a new Tourist SIM that offers unlimited data. Which would be the best and easiest option to go for? I've looked at the True website but can't work out what the top-ups give.

Not sure. But mine from August expired after, I think, 50 days of non-usage.

Took just 15 minutes at the airport to get a new tourist sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 2015: 1st Trip [Report] | November 2015: 2nd trip | February/March 2016: 3rd trip | August 2016: 4th Trip [Report

November 2016: 5th Trip booked | December 2016: Moving to Thailand :D

I was with dtac and there was no possible way for me to check in the UK as the sim would not register at all on the uK network. So I'm sorry but I cannot answer.

However, I went to the dtac website and that is where I discovered that my sim was most likely useless after more than 60 days since I had used it, therefore I simply resolved to get a new sim from the Dtac stand at the airport. Then I texted the few girls that mattered my new number. So easy and good value as well.

August 2015: 1st Trip [Report] | November 2015: 2nd trip | February/March 2016: 3rd trip | August 2016: 4th Trip [Report

I was hoping to find a page on the True website that could show my remaining balance but you're probably right and buying new would be easier and quicker. Number's not important as I would be using Line, WhatsApp and WeChat mostly.

If the number is not important, I'd go for a new card. True turns them off after so many days of not connecting to the network. It's a pain to get them turned on again if they have been deactivated.

According to the text on the phone the last time I topped up in July, the credit was valid until next July.

If, as you say, True switch the SIM off after 60 days then I guess I've lost the balance!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

According to the text on the phone the last time I topped up in July, the credit was valid until next July.

If, as you say, True switch the SIM off after 60 days then I guess I've lost the balance!

For TRUE sim cards, when you get here, dial (don't text)       *934*30#

If you get an SMS back that says your number has been extended for 30 days, you're good to go, and you haven't lost anything. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you're not any worse off than you were before. I've done it before with a 3 month break and it's worked for me, for what it's worth. You get charged two baht for doing an extension like that.

I have no idea if this would work for Dtac or AIS. My only phone account is with True. 

Thanks and can you advise if 299thb top up can get me unlimited or a lot of data for 8 or more days?

If you get an SMS back that says your number has been extended for 30 days, you're good to go, and you haven't lost anything. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you're not any worse off than you were before. I've done it before with a 3 month break and it's worked for me, for what it's worth. You get charged two baht for doing an extension like that.

I have no idea if this would work for Dtac or AIS. My only phone account is with True.

Thanks

:-)

Hi does anyone know if you can buy the dtac happy tourist simcard from 7/11?

On my recent trip i had to deal with a rude ass Thai bitch at the dtac counter in the airport.

Land of smile my ass!

Vincent Law

Hi does anyone know if you can buy the dtac happy tourist simcard from 7/11?

On my recent trip i had to deal with a rude ass Thai bitch at the dtac counter in the airport.

Land of smile my ass!

I don't think so anymore, I could be wrong but i think because they need your passport for registration.

There's always the dtac store in central festival. I had great service in there - girl was very helpful.

Just thought of something else...

If the SIM still works, is it possible to use my balance to buy data for a month or can it only be used for calls?

Thanks.

Just thought of something else...

If the SIM still works, is it possible to use my balance to buy data for a month or can it only be used for calls?

Thanks.

From experience that's what I did. I had little or no need for calls and used all my balance to buy data plans.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I get Simcard from 7-,11?

Boxing day in bkk I could not get

Not have was answer. Try petchuburi or someplace, they said. Same at Chang rai.

This trip going to Pattaya. Definite need phone to track down favorites.

Yes you can buy SIM cards at 7-11.

"Not have",means they were out of stock,nothing more than that

Yes 7-11 and Homemart and they also sell the 7-day tourist SIM cards onboard incoming AirAsia X flights.

• 3 months later...

What's the best sim card to buy?From Dtac or True company?

I want only unlimited internet for one month!

Archived