Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

need to purchase left handed acoustic guitar

Soda11111

I began taking beginning guitar lessons. i will be in Pattaya for 2 months starting in March 2016. I don't want to bring my guitar over. Does anyone know if there is a music store in Pattaya where I can buy what I need? I didn't notice any when I was there earlier this year. Please help cuz i need to practice. Thanks

Your best bet is probably Suriya Music on Sukumvit road. It is located just north of Treprasit Road on the east side of Sukhumvit Road. They have a good selection of guitars.

Here is a link to their website and a location map: Suriya Music

There is an email address on the page.

I was there yesterday buying some strings... :GoldenSmile1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Your best bet is probably Suriya Music on Sukumvit road. It is located just north of Treprasit Road on the east side of Sukhumvit Road. They have a good selection of guitars.

Here is a link to their website and a location map: Suriya Music

There is an email address on the page.

I was there yesterday buying some strings... :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks Scumbag, I was wondering if you would be willing to contact them and ask if they stock a left handed acoustic guitar? I would appreciate that very much, saves me from having to lug mine over. Thank you

Thanks Scumbag, I was wondering if you would be willing to contact them and ask if they stock a left handed acoustic guitar? I would appreciate that very much, saves me from having to lug mine over. Thank you

My suggestion would be to do some research and find a few options on what you would like to buy. You can then check to see if they have one of them or can get one ordered before arriving. It would be a better option than just turning up as your choices may be limited.

If I am by that way I may drop in and ask them what they have. It is a shame you didn't post this a day earlier.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

You might also want to check out the second hand shops on Sukumvit as well.  Opposite Big C. A few on third rd as well.But BM Scumbag is on the money as well.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

I am going there this weekend for some strings so I will check for you. As a side note, you're going to pay almost twice as much here for a new guitar as you would back in the states. I got a really good price on a used Taylor GS mini (3/4 size) when I was back in the states via Craigslist that I use for traveling. If I were you I'd bring one over but that's just me. Anyway, I'll check and let you know.

Cheers

....you're going to pay almost twice as much here for a new guitar as you would back in the states.

I don't think this is true if you walk into a normal shop to buy a new guitar. Of course there might be online sources in the US that would be a bit cheaper but I don't think the shop prices are that different.

I just picked this guitar more or less at random off a Thai shop's webpage. The Eiphone DR100 on the page is advertised at 3600 Baht. On a US site it is showing a price of 4165 Baht with a list price of 7707 Baht (if you go to the page you may not be shown the price in Baht). I also compared the Fender CD60 and it is 50 Baht more expensive in Thailand.

I am going there this weekend for some strings so I will check for you. As a side note, you're going to pay almost twice as much here for a new guitar as you would back in the states. I got a really good price on a used Taylor GS mini (3/4 size) when I was back in the states via Craigslist that I use for traveling. If I were you I'd bring one over but that's just me. Anyway, I'll check and let you know.

Cheers

Cool barman, I really appreciate your help!!

I had no luck finding a lefty guitar in any of the Bangkok music stores, and none were willing to order one for me. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a left-handed guitarist in a Thai band.

IMO your best bet is to buy a cheapie in the US and bring it with you. Or if it's just for practice you can get a regular righty guitar and reverse the strings (& the nut / saddle), but the sound / intonation won't be quite right.

There is a music shop on Soi In Town off Pattaya Klang. Think it is called Soundland. The Soi is maybe 150 yards past foodland on the same side, assuming you are heading away from the beach.

In fact I can't recall ever seeing a left-handed guitarist in a Thai band.

Left-hand guitarist of SIAM on Facebook... :GoldenSmile1:

Aha... Thanks!

Admittedly my guitar search was pre-FB in 2008

Scumbag - yeah, I probably made an over generalization there about the price of guitars. Years ago I was looking at the Yamaha FG 700 in Suriya music and it was around 12000 baht, which at todays exchange rate is about $330 and the same guitar can be bought in guitar center for $199 + tax, so for about $215 out the door. So, on that guitar in particular, I guess closer to a 50% markup. And like you showed, I'm sure it depends on the make/model and also, Suriya might also give a little break on the price. 

Cheetos - so I was in Suriya music today. They have one left hand acoustic guitar, a Yamaha APX 1000, with some other numbers after the 1000 that I can't remember. It was a cutaway with a pickup (electronics) and the price was around 28,000 baht. I asked them if they could order other guitars in a left hand model. He asked me which one so I said the Yamaha FG 700 just to pick one. They shop employees had a pow-wow for about 5 minutes and then the guy came back and said "cannot". Hmmmm. So I asked if they can oder any other left handed acoustic guitars … anything. Again another 5 minute pow wow, then he came back with the same answer … "cannot". 

So … I guess not good news for getting a left handed guitar at Suriya anyway. I know there are some music stores in Bangkok that you might have better luck with … But I just read BM questor's post, so maybe not in Bangkok either. 

Good luck 

Cheers 

best of luck with your purchase. After playing the tenor trombone & alto sax for years I eventuality opted some time ago to take up the "penny whistle" very easy to carry and good for left and right handed musos. If any guitar players or Muso in general out there have an interest in playing trad folk - contact me via PM Thanks

Any of you southpaws want a cheap left-hand Fender Standard Stratocaster send me a PM. I have one in excellent condition that I no longer need as I have stopped playing. The axe is in Thailand but I'm currently in Oz and will be back in LOS beginning of March. I only want 10,000 Bt for it, which is a bargain. Comes with a quality gigbag + leads & strap. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• 5 weeks later...

Noticed a new guitar shop in Central Festival on about the 4th level could have been the 3rd. Maybe worth a look?

• 4 weeks later...

Scumbag - yeah, I probably made an over generalization there about the price of guitars. Years ago I was looking at the Yamaha FG 700 in Suriya music and it was around 12000 baht, which at todays exchange rate is about $330 and the same guitar can be bought in guitar center for $199 + tax, so for about $215 out the door. So, on that guitar in particular, I guess closer to a 50% markup. And like you showed, I'm sure it depends on the make/model and also, Suriya might also give a little break on the price. 

Cheetos - so I was in Suriya music today. They have one left hand acoustic guitar, a Yamaha APX 1000, with some other numbers after the 1000 that I can't remember. It was a cutaway with a pickup (electronics) and the price was around 28,000 baht. I asked them if they could order other guitars in a left hand model. He asked me which one so I said the Yamaha FG 700 just to pick one. They shop employees had a pow-wow for about 5 minutes and then the guy came back and said "cannot". Hmmmm. So I asked if they can oder any other left handed acoustic guitars … anything. Again another 5 minute pow wow, then he came back with the same answer … "cannot". 

So … I guess not good news for getting a left handed guitar at Suriya anyway. I know there are some music stores in Bangkok that you might have better luck with … But I just read BM questor's post, so maybe not in Bangkok either. 

Good luck 

Cheers

Actually 28000 baht isn't a bad price for that Yamaha Guitar. Thanks for checking. I'm bringing over a guitar. If it gets damaged in flight I'll purchase that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed a new guitar shop in Central Festival on about the 4th level could have been the 3rd. Maybe worth a look?

Update. I successfully brought my guitar over. Was allowed to place it in the air plane overhead bin. Get it to my room and tighten and tuned. A ok. Seen the guitar shop at Central Festival, fifth floor. Bought some extra light guitar strings 250 baht and guitar stand 450 baht, now I practice. Thanks for everything.

I think the advice and decision to buy and take with you was good advice.  So what kind of guitar did you bring?

I think the advice and decision to buy and take with you was good advice.  So what kind of guitar did you bring?

Friend of mines Dad is inThe Irish Rovers,his guitar tech forgot to de tune his D28 when he was flying to England.

Arrived to a snapped head stock.

a taylor gs mini .  I purchased online from Musician's Friend.  Its ok but I still suck. hehe

I have to learn how to put guitar strings on incase of any mishap

a taylor gs mini .  I purchased online from Musician's Friend.  Its ok but I still suck. hehe

I have to learn how to put guitar strings on incase of any mishap

YouTube is your friend. In the beginning it's all about getting your chords clean sounding and increasing the speed of your chord changes. I've been playing for 4 years now and I'm amazed how far I've come .... although I still suck as well, haha. Have fun.

Cheers

Archived