IGNORED

saying teerak "darling"

gazman100

Hi all,

Does anyone have a recording for the word darling "teerak" in Thai, as I don't excatly know how to pronounce it .

Cheers in advance.

:P

In Thai the R & the L are the same. also the d and the t are the same.

Teerak ,tee is normal tone,followed by lak ,lower & more intimate.

Lak means love,Tee means towards or to you.

Good luck!

In Thai the R & the L are the same. also the d and the t are the same.

Teerak ,tee is normal tone,followed by lak ,lower & more intimate.

Lak means love,Tee means towards or to you.

Good luck!

It is only the Issan people that have problems pronouncing r's. Central Thais have a r sound and so don't have a problem with r's. Here is a link to hear how teerak should be said: Teerak

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

It is only the Issan people that have problems pronouncing r's. Central Thais have a r sound and so don't have a problem with r's. Here is a link to hear how teerak should be said: Teerak

I agree. Farangs generally do not have a problem pronouncing "r" so, when trying to grasp basic Thai, should b using 'r' in the spoken word. If you decide to learn the lazy way and use "L", then you are setting yourself up for a really confusing time when you learn/speak thai from a GF who can pronounce r's. As scumbag said, there are loads of Thais who speak with the 'R' in the word.

• 1 month later...

The first time I came to Thailand I was trying hard to learn the language. One of the guides we were using was having a blast teaching us. After spending 2 weeks in Korat and Udan Thani, I came back using 'L's instead of 'R's and was thouroughly chastised. He said I was "talking like a hick".

teerak ที่รัก is a composite of two words tee ที่ (the one that) and rak รัก (love) and combined it means "the one that I love" or darling. It should be pronounced with an aspirated (You could blow a candle out when you say it) T in tee, with a falling tone and Rak should have a strong R sound and be said with a high tone.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Dr - did you formally spend a lot of time learning tones? or did they just come gradually.

Reason I ask is after i read your explanation of how to pronounce ทีรัก I found that i naturally say it the way you described, but i've seen it spelt in Thai or have never thought about the tones used.

Dr - did you formally spend a lot of time learning tones? or did they just come gradually.

Reason I ask is after i read your explanation of how to pronounce ทีรัก I found that i naturally say it the way you described, but i've seen it spelt in Thai or have never thought about the tones used.

When I learned to read Thai I learned the tonal rules at the same time. As I'm sure you know they are intrinsic within the script and vary according to such things as class of initial consonant, vowel length and type of word ending (and a few others).

The actual differentiating between the tones when you are listening and pronunciation when you are speaking are things that only come with time and practice.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel