IGNORED

Reasons Why You Should Have A Dash Cam...

lanzalad

Reasons why you should have a dash cam... and a helmet... and road sense...

We was driving down the railway rd today and this girl on a bike come flying past me no helmet no road sense...

Now when your on this stretch of to road you give way to crossing traffic as they is a thick white band over the road that no one takes any notice of but never the less it is there for a reason and that reason is for you to give way to crossing traffic.

clearly you will see a car come to the crossing and the girl on the bike doesn't slow down at all and tries to cross over...

Here she is flying past me

post-53412-0-97455900-1450005502.png

Here she is NOT stopping NOT slowing down, NOT looking left or right..

post-53412-0-18569500-1450005512.png

post-53412-0-23006800-1450005517.png

Here's the video..

Was a that a farang car driver?

If so I bet it costs him regardless.

Did you offer up your recording as evidence?

I used to live over there and hate that road - had two 'mishaps'.

The problem is made worse by the fact that over your way, priority seems to be given to the traffic crossing, wheras further South traffic already on Train Road has right of way....sort of.

It's a mess and I'd say both of them were at fault, but usually big car can pay.

They did try traffic lights for a while but it was hopeless - think they just flash orange or red now, if they're on at all.

Did you offer up your recording as evidence?

Yes it would be interesting to hear what was said after the collision,and if the guy took any offer of using the recording,as you allude to though the odds arn`t in his favour cost wise,the stupid bitch.

Nothing to do with the accident did u indicate when overtaking the red car?

Looks like she overtook you whilst you were overtaking/ about to overtake

My guess is she'll have no license or insurance, so for that reason if not she shouldn't be on the road...

Pang tells me insurance for the bike just for shopping and go here and there most don't bother with it...

Dash cam is a MUST it will get me out of bother one day, i know it..

as i was turning the corner she jumps up and starts shouting at the guy .. then i had a call and i was parked where someone parks there car and the call was a customer waiting to go out....

I drove back a not long after but everyone had gone..... i was going to offer my SD Card to him....

A few things have happened before to me and Puang driving around town and we know what to say when it happens:-

1. Most important, don't let anyone move anything and if you have a mobile camera take loads of photos first and take photos of id cards and licence plates.

2. always find out if you have an accident is the other parties involved have a license, insurance.

3. if the BIB don't want to ask the questions above ask the copper for his superior / supervisor to came to the accident.

4. if the party involved doesn't have a  license or insurance then don't let it go... and let the police know that its law and that they should't even be on the road even in Thailand....

5. Get your insurance out and get them to back you up.

The normal Thai way will be to get the lady your with to ask you to pay don't and make it clear they are getting nothing....

I've done this a few times in the past and I lets them know your NOT backing down..

From my experience they will ask for a few 1000 baht and clear this with the copper and tell the copper its sorted out and the falling his said he'll pay...

Then what happens they call you later and tell you the damage is into the 1000's and you have an hospital bill for x amount running into the 1000's

if you don't pay then they'll get the copper to back up the story from earlier on that you said you'll pay...

If its Thai and they don't have a license or insurance then 9 times out of ten they'll not pay and say they don't have any money and get off scot free and its down to you to pay to get it back in court.

This way you'll not be paying for a new family bike for them...

I completely and utterly disagree and I have many years experience driving here, along with many counter examples--both in my own experience and other friend's experiences. Whenever I was not at fault, there was no question of making me pay. It is, however, inconvenient. The one time I was partially at fault, my insurance took care of it and I lost my 20% discount the next year. That's it.

A friend last month, fellow board member, was at a light and a truck hit his car. No question or even a hint of blame for him. Again, this idea that Farangs are always to blame is trotted out over and over again--yet in my actual experience I have *never* seen it.

My guess is she'll have no license or insurance, so for that reason if not she shouldn't be on the road...

Every motorbike with current registration has basic insurance. You can't register without it. It's called paw raw baw. My guess would be she has that.

Edit: Seems to me the car is partially to blame. Depends on what the lights were doing (flashing red or yellow and which ones) to apportion blame. The car should have been crossing much more cautiously.

One of my mishaps went like this :-

Dark and heading East on Chaiyapruek2 and it was dark.

Crossing the railway lines and indicating Right, as I started to turn a bike came from behind with no lights, overtaking me flat out across the tracks.

I tried to straighten up to avoid him and nearly made it but he just clipped my front bumper and went flying up the road past the karaoke bar.

Soon I was surrounded by Thais and the BiB arrived - the Thai lad was in a bad way..

I told them he had no lights, but they weren't interested, so I took them to the bike and said "Look, I mean no lights, not even any bulb in the headlight".

The ignition had been punched out and hot wired, so you can guess how legal the bike was.

The BiB also interviewed my passenger(BF) but thankfully let her escape the scene. 

I only had a UK DL with IDP, which the officer took and kept and I had to go to the station later for a meeting with the lad and big brother, where they demanded 25k.

Considering the state he was in, maybe that was fair, but at that time I thought that the Q of whose fault it was should be relevant.

Upshot was that I agreed to 5k and after that was signed off I got my DL back...oh and I was 'fined' 500 Baht for being in an accident and taking up police time.

The insurance was another saga altogether, which is written up in my T&T thread.

In a bike accident which again wasn't my fault, the BiB actually 'fined' the pickup driver, gave me 2k (of whatever they got) and told me to go to hospital - end of.

In two other bike mishaps I knew better than to wait for the BiB and escaped the scene ASAP, which is perhaps what the Thai lady in the VDO decided was best.

Interesting about the first accident. Didn't your insurance get involved? First thing to do is call them.

Edit: Never mind, excuse my bad reading skills. :D

........................... this idea that Farangs are always to blame is trotted out over and over again--yet in my actual experience I have *never* seen it.

I did not say that Farangs are always to blame, but there is a principle at play whereby "big car can pay" IME (regardless of farang being involved) and in a 50/50 situation that could have applied.

The relevance of there being a farang is simply the possible assumption that farang can pay more.

I "trotted it out" because that has been my experience on several occasions over the past 9 years.

If you haven't experienced it then fair enough - experiences often do vary here.   :GoldenSmile1:

Dash cams can save money from other situations besides accidents.  Stopped for running red light in Udon Thani which we definitely did not do.  Police man said we have camera at lights, ( 300 ms away ) so we called his bluff and walked to check, they had no camera!  Walked back and complained to his boss that he had told us a lie and we had our camera as proof we did not go through red light.  First policeman said he never said anything about camera so I told the boss my camera also recorded sound, policeman walked away and boss said go, no problem.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

.......................  First policeman said he never said anything about camera so I told the boss my camera also recorded sound, policeman walked away and boss said go, no problem.

:LOL2:  :LOL2:  :LOL2:

unfortunately if a falang is involved its guilty until you can prove your innocent so a dashcam or any recording device which proves how inept the other person was (usually the case) helps immensely.

Dash cams can save money from other situations besides accidents.  Stopped for running red light in Udon Thani which we definitely did not do.  Police man said we have camera at lights, ( 300 ms away ) so we called his bluff and walked to check, they had no camera!  Walked back and complained to his boss that he had told us a lie and we had our camera as proof we did not go through red light.  First policeman said he never said anything about camera so I told the boss my camera also recorded sound, policeman walked away and boss said go, no problem.

Oh yeah, put the BiB in their place, I just wish more people would do the same.

They are government workers not gods. 

unfortunately if a falang is involved its guilty until you can prove your innocent so a dashcam or any recording device which proves how inept the other person was (usually the case) helps immensely.

No, that's not true in my personal experience explained above.

Oh yeah, put the BiB in their place, I just wish more people would do the same.

They are government workers not gods. 

If I was in the wrong I would only be too glad to be able to get away with a relatively small fine, BUT if I know I have done nothing wrong I will fight them as hard as I can.  Once sat for an hour at a local road block after they tried to extort money from me, they did not succeed!  After that the same police have stopped me many times, quick check and never caused a problem for me again.  I am fortunate that I usually have all day to argue my case, no skin off my nose to waste an hour just for the principle and it has now saved me so much time since that incident. 

No, that's not true in my personal experience explained above.

Unfortunately the vast majority of us dont speak fluent Thai - u have an unwitnessed accident and the person (if thai) that caused the accident has any way of getting out of either claiming responsibility or even better for them blaming you and getting money - my experience they will.

They can talk utter shite to a policeman and with no witnesses or anything to challenge their story what can you do?  Video shows beyond any confusion the cause of the accident - if you have a dashcam / video and the person knows who caused the accident you have this the chances are they will not lie to the police.

Unfortunately the vast majority of us dont speak fluent Thai - u have an unwitnessed accident and the person (if thai) that caused the accident has any way of getting out of either claiming responsibility or even better for them blaming you and getting money - my experience they will.

They can talk utter shite to a policeman and with no witnesses or anything to challenge their story what can you do?  Video shows beyond any confusion the cause of the accident - if you have a dashcam / video and the person knows who caused the accident you have this the chances are they will not lie to the police.

AKA the whole point of the thread - cover your arse.  

Every motorbike with current registration has basic insurance. You can't register without it. It's called paw raw baw. My guess would be she has that.

Edit: Seems to me the car is partially to blame. Depends on what the lights were doing (flashing red or yellow and which ones) to apportion blame. The car should have been crossing much more cautiously.

Wrong we had 30 plus bikes ... only for the first year for not every current registration has basic insurance.

every year before the tax can be paid you need to pay the basic insurance to pay the tax.

I agree about the little cams. I bicycle to work come hell or high water and one week this summer it felt as if every driver in the city was out to get me. So I got my self a low end GoPro.  It must have magical powers! Not a single attempt on my life since I installed it!

gopro.jpg

I agree about the little cams. I bicycle to work come hell or high water and one week this summer it felt as if every driver in the city was out to get me. So I got my self a low end GoPro.  It must have magical powers! Not a single attempt on my life since I installed it!

attachicon.gifgopro.jpg

Maybe you are riding safer with the camera installed because it could show that you had some blame if there was an accident!

Just about the line and its meaning. I am not sure it is correct that those on the railway must give way to the cross traffic. I had a small accident with a motorbike at the Soi Siam Country Club intersection. The stupid woman came around a turning truck who was half way across the intersection. She accepted fault due to the configuration of the lights. All the lights are flashing. The ones pointing to the railway road flash amber while the ones on the other roads flash red. I was informed that this indicated that the traffic on the cross roads must give way. However like anything in Thailand nothing is black and white...lol

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Archived