IGNORED

Motorbikes and Scooters

Ceed

Right so I've ridden motorbikes, scooter and various other two wheeled devices many a time, even once or twice in Thailand.

However...

I do not have a license in my own country to ride any two wheeled motorised vehicle, I do however have a license for 4 wheeled vehicles ;)

The question is, if/when I am stopped by the constabulary riding a bike in the land of smiles what are the potential fines/penalties/jail sentences...

P.S. Getting a license in Thailand not an option currently.

Cheers my dears.

No real penalty, such as jail etc, just a fine. A more serious problem is If you have an accident and have no licence your travel insurance will not pay. I have actually been run into twice by Thais not looking where they were going...both times I was stationary and in one case it required hospitalisation for 3 days.

Cheers for the reply.

How serious were the accidents - I mean 3 days in hospital must have cost a pretty penny?

You will get stopped eventually. Fine is 400bht or maybe 500bht. But the real pain is if no license they take away your keys, and you make your own way to Soi 9 Police Station to pay the fine, then get back to your bike before it carted away.

Archived