IGNORED

Moving music files from an iPod to an iPhone

Jumpin Jack Flash

Is there an easy way of doing this?  So far I'm hitting a brick wall. The main obstacle is that iTunes always wants me to save the library to my laptop first. I can't do this because I don't have enough memory left on my Mac. I want to use an external hard drive, so I've plugged that in at the same time as plugging in the iPod. But I just can't make iTunes save from iPod directly to Hard Drive.

Its driving me nuts :Banghead2:

Under your iTunes settings on your laptop you need to change the location where it is saving your music files to. Once you change it to your backup hard drive you should be able to sync your music to any apple device. This is why I am no longer an iPhone user.too much hassle doing routine things.

Posted Image

I've already changed the location (via Preferences) to my external HD. But iTunes is completely ignoring that when it comes to backing up or syncing my music library.

I get the error message popping up : "iTunes could not back up the iPod because not enough free space is available on this computer".

I've also tried backing up to iCloud first, then resetting the iphone and restore from iCloud. It copies all the photos, apps and everything else

but none of the music.

I give up.  :DeadHorse2:    You win, Apple. iPods are for music, iPhones are not.

I have a large music and video collection and got tired of Apple trying to ‘control my life’ through unnecessary restrictions. I eventually moved to Android (Samsung S5 and Tab) and now I can move everything around using window explorer. Not much use to you at the moment but maybe worth remembering in the future.

Have you tried putting the ipod into disk mode and then dragging the music to iphone?

I have not done it for ipod to iphone but have done it to copy music files off a friends ipod to my pc

you can see how to get it in disk mode in the link below if your not sure

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201544

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

You are also confusing your Music Library (which can reside on a different hard drive) and your iTunes backups (which are kept on your system drive).

You do not need your iPad backup to move your music files to your iPhone. In other words, do not perform a 'Backup' but rather a 'Sync'. The files from your Sync get moved to the external hard drive.

You could also go into your iTunes preferences, and under 'devices' remove whatever old backups you might still have, to free up space.

Ok just subscribed to iTunes match.

Now when I go to settings on my iPod and switch on iTunes Match, it's warning me that I'm about to replace all my music which is on my iPod, with what's in my iTunes library (which is almost nothing ! ). WTF Apple !!  I want to do it the other way round. I want to move what's on my iPod to iTunes (so that I can then move it to my iPhone). :Banghead2:

OK, take a step back.

- Why is your iTunes Library (on your PC/Mac) nearly empty? 

- How did you initially one your music to your iPod?
- you would normally fill up your iPod via initially synching it to and from your iTunes installation, after you move all your music to iTunes.

Is this a situation where you had a friend fill up your iPod from their iTunes?

If that is the case, you will need two other things:

- a utility that allows you to take the music from the iPod.
- the iTunes ID that your friend had the music registered with, if this is music they bought from Apple.
(if none of the music is bought, then you won't need that).

How much free space do you have on your computer?

This is why i would never buy iphone/ipad products. iTunes used to drive me crazy trying to do simple things. With Android and a PC it's so easy just to transfer music or photo files. I can't understand why people put up with it (and pay a massive premium).

This is cracking me up. execellent thread, this is the most i've laughed on any thread for quite a while.

maybe you can press play on the ipod, and on the iphone record the music as you would a voice message. 55

you've been ifucked.

;-)

:LOL2:    you're right, it's absolutely mental.

BTW, the whole problem (I think) is made worse because my original iTunes library (where I sync everything with my Ipod) is on an old Windows PC. The PC is so fucking old, the only reason I keep it is because it has my original iTunes library. Its Windows Vista and I have iTunes 10 on it. Works ok with my iPod Touch but as soon as I plug in the iPhone it collapses in a heap !  Of course I know I need the latest version of iTunes for that, but every time I try to update on my old PC it says fuck off you're not downloading shit on here, you're stuck with iTunes 10, buddy :DeadHorse2: 

So that's why I have nothing in my iTunes library on my Mac. And I only have about 3 GB of space left on my Mac so I can't have my whole library on there anyway.

Anyway, now I have a cunning plan that might just work. I've now copied my entire ITunes library from my old PC onto a backup folder om my external hard drive.

I'm now going to plug in my External HD int my Mac and select all the songs I want and play them through ITunes. That will put in in the library (or at least the link to the files in the library). I can then shut down iTunes, re-start it, then locate those tracks to play them again. That should save them into the iTunes library on my Mac.

Only issue is the space on my Mac so I can only do that for so many tracks.

Unless I can convince the fucker not to use my Mac hard drive and use the fucking external HD as the source, like I've been telling it to for the last fucking 4 days :Banghead2:

Apologies for the Victor Meldrew rant, but I had to get that off my chest. :)

Why do you only have 3GB left on your hard drive on your Mac?

Again, you can move your iTunes Library to an external hard drive. This is different than 'Backup' - and you can grab the iTunes folder from your old PC, and move it to the external Mac drive, and point your iTunes to it.

Copy the entire folder named 'iTunes' from your PC to an external drive.

Attach that drive to your Mac.

Launch iTunes while holding down the OPTION key on your keyboard. This will bring up a dialog asking you where your iTunes Library is. Point it to your external drive and the iTunes folder.

That's it.

No good, Daffy, It won't copy anything thats not been purchased (and that's about 95% of my music).

Even tried manually copying a bunch of tracks one at a time onto my external hard drive, then plugging it into my Mac and playing the tracks. iTunes launches and plays the tracks ok, but as soon as I disconnect the hard drive, iTunes can't locate them. It just will not copy them onto my local (Mac) hard drive - I've tried exporting, consolidating files, and iTunes match (which I've now spunked £20 on for what ?????). Worse still it teases me by making the tracks appear on my iPhone as having been added, but when I try to play them, it does nothing, because they don't exist - they're just ghosts, a fucking figment of my imagination. :Hair_Out1:

I'm done, fuck Apple and the horse they rode in on. I'm going to Pattaya in about 60 hours to take my mind off all this.  :Dance1:  Reckon 8 or 9 TGs will do the trick :D

I'm not telling you copy the music files.

Again: move the whole iTunes folder to the external drive.

Then point iTunes to that folder Witt the instructions I provided earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Syncios

You can lead a horticulture but you can't teach a prototype

Daffy, I did exactly as you suggested. It copied over a grand total of 32 tracks, from a library of over 1,000

Anyways, I'm over it, right in the middle of my holiday now - 8 TGs and counting. Looking to break double figures in 1 trip for the first time ever :GoldenSmile1:

Then you didn't do as I suggested. I didn't suggest copying tracks, I suggested copying over an entire folder.

Enjoy banging TGs ;-)

Oh come on Daffy. I love my Iphone but Itunes does wrestle control of your music and picture library away from you! Sometimes it amazes me, I once reinstalled Windows and when I reinstalled Itunes it still manage to link up with my music collection which is on another hard drive but it's hardly intuitive. I've often been tempted to install one of those 3rd party file management apps.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Oh come on Daffy. I love my Iphone but Itunes does wrestle control of your music and picture library away from you!

Actually, it doesn't. It's a decent front-end to managing your music collection, and it moves and keeps everything stored in a single folder, arranged by alphabet, category and Album.

Alternatively, if you prefer pandemonium, you can also turn that off, and iTunes will respect all the locations your music is kept, and will just link to them.

How does that 'wrestle away control' ?

Actually, it doesn't. It's a decent front-end to managing your music collection, and it moves and keeps everything stored in a single folder, arranged by alphabet, category and Album.

Alternatively, if you prefer pandemonium, you can also turn that off, and iTunes will respect all the locations your music is kept, and will just link to them.

How does that 'wrestle away control' ?

I'll let this thread make my point for me!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Archived