IGNORED

Seeing the country ( not just a mongering trip)

horndoggie1

Looking for advise on how to get around to experience the culture and  ... find pretty girls in out of the ordinary places.

I have 3 weeks in Feb.

My thought was to experience Pattaya for a few days... ok maybe 4 lol,  then rent a motorcycle to tour the country. I have Chiang Mai on my sites.

I am a super confident overland M/C traveler. Been all through Mexico and C.A. w/o a hitch.

I imagine language will be an issue. I speak a little spanish so that helped me allot in thoes travels.

Any ADVrider / monger out there?

I wont ride a motorbike anywhere in Thailand. Much too dangerous for me.

I dont know how good or bad Mexican drivers are but Thai drivers are abysmal. I want as much solid metal as possible between them and me. Driving around in my pick-up feels fairly safe.

I wouldn't fancy riding a bike from Pattaya to Chiang Mai, a long way. It's worth a visit though. Better to fly then travel around when you get there. The road from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son is really interesting.

My guess, your planned stay of 4 days in Pattaya will turn into 3 weeks.  BUT, on the off chance you stick to your plan, I would find a Thai girl with decent English skills you get on with. Offer her a trip to Chaing Mai. I would fly, then rent bikes when you get there.

In my experience, finding a big bike I would trust for a cross country trip is a tall order.

If I find a girl I like what should I pay her / day / week to go site seeing with?

I'm wierd and not really into girls younger than 28 or so. I'm guessing a older girl will be cheaper. ?

This will be my first trip.

I've herd that cross country thailand might be dangerous buy bike but wasn't sure if it was the traffic or possibility of getting jacked or.... both.

I've herd that cross country thailand might be dangerous buy bike but wasn't sure if it was the traffic or possibility of getting jacked or.... both.

I doubt that vehicle-jacking is a problem here, nor the traffic. It's the abysmally bad Thai driving that will be a problem. They drive all over the road and rarely use their eyes or brains.

• 2 weeks later...

Use the bus. Stay a few days in Pattaya. Bell Bus to Hua Hin for several days. Bus it to Phuket from Hua Hin. Phuket to Chaing Mai by air (cheap). Chaing Mai to Bangkok by air. Maybe back to Pattaya by bus. This can fill your schedule. Bangkok Airways is dirt cheap. The 10 hour bus trip from Hua Hin to Phuket was interesting driving through countryside. Comfortable a/c bus too. I met a girl in Hua Hin. Took her with me to Phuket. Parted ways at airport.

Archived