Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Unlocked Australian Phone

bobdown

Hi Gentlemen

I am just looking for a bit of help here.

Can a buy a cheap I guess about $100-$150 unlocked phone in Australia.I would use this phone in Australia,only for text and calls maybe 5 a month,not much use.Can I then take the phone to Thailand put a Thai Sim in it,will it work.Also I have heard about cards I think one is called Micro I do not know what the other one is called.Which one is the best

Thanks for your help

All Australian phones, if unlocked, will work in thailand. Just go to one of the phone kiosks in the airport and they will put a thai sim card in your phone and put credit on it.

I usually go to the true move shop which is on your right after you clear customs (in Suvarnabhumi). about 399 baht for 1GB data and enough phone credit to last my holiday.

12 Pints in Know it all

All Australian phones, if unlocked, will work in thailand. Just go to one of the phone kiosks in the airport and they will put a thai sim card in your phone and put credit on it.

I usually go to the true move shop which is on your right after you clear customs (in Suvarnabhumi). about 399 baht for 1GB data and enough phone credit to last my holiday.

Thanks very much Sir

If you bring a phone that is not unlocked, just take it to Tucom and get it unlocked.

I'm not sure about that Lantern, my iPhone was purchased through Telstra and they had to unlock it. Bastards used to charge but now they must do it for free so other SIM cards will work with them.

Tukcom can certainly jail break the phone if you want that done.

I'm certainly happy to be corrected on the above but I didn't think Tukcom could unlock your phone without jail breaking it.

Unlocked Australian phones will work in Thailand with a Thai sim. You have different sizes of SIM cards, from normal to micro (eg for iPhone 4) to nano (eg for iPhone 5). Doesn't matter what size SIM card your phone takes, they will have a SIM card for it in Thailand. Go to any of the boots at the airport, or pop into Tukcom and they will sort you out.

Good luck

<p><span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-family:'Brush Script MT';">Never Say Never</span></span></p><div><p><span style="font-size:12px;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:Arial, 'sans-serif';">about 20 trips to LOS, next trip in Dec-15...</span></span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:Arial, 'sans-serif';">

Unlocked Australian phones will work in Thailand with a Thai sim. You have different sizes of SIM cards, from normal to micro (eg for iPhone 4) to nano (eg for iPhone 5). Doesn't matter what size SIM card your phone takes, they will have a SIM card for it in Thailand. Go to any of the boots at the airport, or pop into Tukcom and they will sort you out.

Good luck

Thank you Sir

but I didn't think Tukcom could unlock your phone without jail breaking it.

Not sure I understand the difference here.

I took my old locked Telstra flip phone there and they unlocked it.

but I didn't think Tukcom could unlock your phone without jail breaking it.

Not sure I understand the difference here.

I took my old locked Telstra flip phone there and they unlocked it.

With these new smart phones some companies, like Telstra, have them locked to their own network. By ringing them they must now unlock them from their network so they are able to take a different carriers sim.

Jail breaking them is changing the manufacturers software or settings so they are able to run programs etc the manufacturer initially doesn't allow. Apple I think are the worst for this although I have many of their products.

Tukcom should be able to get any old phone to work with a Thai sim but I'm not sure they can unlock the new smart phones from their set network without jail breaking them.

Jail breaking a new smart phone such as iPhone makes your warrantee invalid, where as unlocking it from the network certainly doesn't.

Cheers for that. Just did a bit of research and get it now. Just don't have a "smart phone" in operation.

I do have one but have data turned off due to the plan I am on.

^^ Thanks for the heads up DD. ATM I'm in Australia but will look at unlocking my Samsung 4G.

You see I am on a very old plan where the $$ basically never run out. I do know if I turn on data the $$ will be gone in seconds.

I know calls are expensive but as I rarely use the thing it works out all OK.

I'm sitting by my works phone all day so use that.

^^ Thanks for the heads up DD. ATM I'm in Australia but will look at unlocking my Samsung 4G.

You see I am on a very old plan where the $$ basically never run out. I do know if I turn on data the $$ will be gone in seconds.

I know calls are expensive but as I rarely use the thing it works out all OK.

I'm sitting by my works phone all day so use that.

What telco is your phone with, and what model is your phone?

I'm with telstra, SGS5 and it's not network locked. Ring your telco they'll know if it's network locked or not, and will usually unlock it with a decent enough excuse ie travelling overseas and wanting to use local sim.

^^ Dammed Telstra. And I hate them. But it's really the only service here where I live.

It's a Samsung 4G and my receipt says Galaxy Ace 3.

^^ Dammed Telstra. And I hate them. But it's really the only service here where I live.

It's a Samsung 4G and my receipt says Galaxy Ace 3.

Not sure if all models are unlocked or just the flagships. Could always try putting a different telcos sim in to see if it's locked or not.

If it is, then just ring em.

Archived