IGNORED

Is Ipad the way to go when frequent traveler?

chang beer

Hi. I have been traveling throughout S.E.A with an heavy 17.5 inch laptop which weights over 8 pounds. I'm thinking about getting an Ipad 12 incher and getting a blue tooth keyboard and using a portable external hard drive for movies. This shouldn't weigh more than 3 pounds.

Is this the way to go?

What is the best way for frequent traveler?

thanx

Chang

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely...always prefer to travel light...I've been getting by on the iPad Air for a couple of years rather than a laptop but the new larger version looks awesome...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hooray beer!

dont think the IPAD can access an external hardrive..  the ipad is also very expensive you can pick up a very decent lightwight thin laptop for the same price or a lot less 

I just picked up a ACER Aspire R11 touch screen laptop for £200 slightly larger  screen than IPAD and can be flipped over so i stands like an A frame.  Has windows office on there  movies etc etc.  and would say it is any heavier than my ipad 2 

So it is really all dependant on what you actually want to do ? 

personally the windows laptops been made now are really great value for money.  Spend the same as an ipad with keyboard and you can probally get something about weight just over a 1 kg

You'll be very happy with the iPad and the configuration you picked.

I would suggest grabbing the smartKeyboard/cover for the iPad Pro that Apple manufactures, as well.

http://www.apple.com/smart-keyboard/

I have no doubt the next generation iPads will all support appropriately sized smart-keyboards.

Generally, I prefer the 9.7" iPad Air 2 - it fits inside a large ziplock bag, making for the perfect protection at the beach or pool.

Is there a TV android box I could buy at Tukcom perhaps that would interface with my Spectrum?

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I'd say for the price of an iPad with decent storage just get the new MacBook Air, way more versatile and about as big!

I'd also vote for the MacBook Air. I've the 11" model and it's perfect for me. About the same form factor as the iPad yet far more versatile for doing actual work.

Is this the way to go?

Up to you.  :Dunno:  Depends on your needs, is there a particular reason you've been lugging a large laptop around (needing to do heavy duty graphics work)?

If you're just doing internet browsing/watching movies, just get a MacBook or MacBook Air. That's easiest.

If you're not expecting to do any 'work', then you may get away with the iPad Air - bear in mind, can't use an external hard drive with it unless you also get a special dongle or connector, or have a wireless external hard drive. 

I just use one of those adapters that turn a regular drive into a wireless one. Problem solved.

Dump what I need onto it before I leave. Consume from it while traveling. Easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you should defintely get rid / replace the 17" laptop with something more travel friendly

but your suggested setup doesn't sound like a good idea, blue tooth + external hd = more drain on battery of ipad

I would suggest getting a 13" macbook pro or something like that and of course it all depends on what you need it for

I'm a developer and I can actually build quite well these days on an iPad Air 2 and a Apple wireless keyboard (the standard one is perfect). Use an Origami case for the keyboard and all three make it a perfect laptop substitute. 

I use cloud services (git, dropbox, iCloud, atlassian), sftp using Transmit, code with Textastic so a hard disk isn't necessary. I used to carry a 1TB portable drive and a Verbatim wireless hotspot with USB; worked fine enough but cloud services are even more seamless now. Do I do all my coding on the iPad? Of course not - I've a 27" iMac that's far more preferable (I can't work on only a laptop screen either) but for a few hours pickup it's perfect. Plus I can leave the keyboard in the carryon and always have the iPad at hand. 

For writing online or just in general, I prefer the iPad - it's focused on the writing and fairly distractionless (in DoNotDisturb-mode especially) but it also just feels clean, like a new piece of paper. I can stare at it, or type forever - and the keyboard is exactly the same as if I had a laptop, so no matter there. For me, it's nearly perfect (now if only it were 27" wide at less than a half a kilo..)

There's a paradigm shift you're always going to have to go through. I can remember when not having a shell as a primary interface was an insult to the user - which was, of course, bullshit. It only reenforced the user was stuck in the usual rut, doing what they taught themselves and not relearning. We thought knowing "computers" (pascal, ms-dos, excel, etc..) was enough. You've always got to try new things, test the edges. Relearn and optimise. 

I'm glad I did. I'll likely never buy another laptop again. 

Also a developer. I can do light work on my iPad, but I'm very addicted to Cherry blue or brown mechanical keyboards, so none of the laptop keyboards or iPad keyboards cut it for me when working all day.

But I can put most Dev work on hold while I'm in Thailand for a week or two. My iPad Air 2 is just fine for the trip. No need for a hard drive. I load up a couple dozen movies before I leave (Squeeze them down with https://handbrake.fr ) and a whole library of books (check out the iOS app: Marvin - great ebook reader) and wherever there's decent Wifi, I can access my home collection of movies (use InMotion's AirVideo iOS app.)

Somehow I've managed to crank out a couple of 5,000 word real-time trip reports with nothing but the touch screen keyboard and TapaTalk. (Something to do in downtime during late mornings.)

But the main attraction of a tablet (Apple or Android) is the instant-on experience - the ability to flip it open like a book, any time, any place and be reading or watching a video or online as fast as if I pulled a paperback novel out of the seat back. I don't like dredging a laptop out of a case, finding someplace that's roomy enough in coach class or on the rush hour train to open it, wait for 5, 10, 30 seconds till its woken up, Yada, yada. A client lets me keep a MacBook Air, which wakes up about as fast as any laptop, but I won't bother to wake it to read the newspaper for 5 min. while waiting for the train, or attempt to use it on the subway at home or MRT in BKK. On the other hand I'll whip out the iPad in any of these situations.

Don't know if I'd like the iPad Pro, even if I wanted to spend that much money. Can't hold it with one hand (don't ask what I'm doing with the other hand.)

A tablet is a really good media consumption device; if you get one with 64gb or more storage, you really don't need an external hard drive, as long as you plan ahead a bit before long trips by preloading movies, books and music. Streaming movies, music, or downloading books from your home computer works fairly well.

Check out the PC/Mac app http://calibre-ebook.com for an easy way to build a library of books and magazines on your home computer and have it all available online wherever you travel.

As Woofie said, cloud storage and cloud apps make pretty much anything possible without a huge hard drive or fancy computer in your kit. I wouldn't want to be writing or coding 8 hours a day on a tablet, but for unlimited media consumption, plus an hour or two of writing, a tablet is fine for me.

I'll leave the Apple vs everything else debate to DaffyDuck and his adversaries... I've gotten very comfortable with an iPad, but YMMV.

This tl;dr post somehow got done on TapaTalk with a touch screen keyboard. Not too many typos... I hope?

Mechanical keyboards - if you can bluetooth it, you can add it to an iPad. I grew up with those but I prefer my Apple wireless now. For me, it's consistent...the same key strokes, positioning, strike, but everywhere.. its also why I won't buy the new Macbook. They changed the cursor keys and...no, that's not for me. 

One thing I completely forgot to mention - the best dev tool you can sink any money into is Working Copy - it's a visual git client for atlassian, git, and others - it combines all the bits you'd need for offline work and cloud storage in a very easy workflow. It has a built-in diff tool (textual and visual) and links with the Textastic editor makes it seamless. 

Oh yeah - offline docs. Get Dash. 'Nuff said. 

I can't imagine using a hard disk now. What if someone steals my iPad or my hard disk? All that lost or compromised?? Fuggeddiboutit. I can remote wipe an iPad and get a new one, automatically download all my settings and apps, then resync my work from git. I could literally be back to where I was before a theft in under an hour (I have a lot of apps).

The  iPad Pro is interesting - 2 iPad Air-sized screens side by side is damn tempting, but for now the intimacy and immediacy of the magazine-sized format makes the most sense in my life. Still, I can easily see it taking over in the Enterprise: a mobile presentation device, lots of landscape and with little heft..and now with IBM making dozens of apps for it, I can see businesses buying them by the truckload. 

I also have a 17inch laptop which i take with me every time..

I have a Samsung Note 3 which does the job for me..tablet wise

hardly ever see the need to boot up the laptop unless for work..

flights... everything can be booked on the phone now

in my opinion, the larger phone trend is gonna be a killer on tablets..

just look a the Iphone 6+...   why would you buy a tablet if you already had a laptop??

thats the trend i see anyway

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

If it does not have to be a Apple product, have a look at the ASUS Zenbook Series, light (full aluminium body) with long battery life and a 13.3 screen does not hurt either. Cheaper as Apple anyway (+/- 700 USD).

in my opinion, the larger phone trend is gonna be a killer on tablets..

just look a the Iphone 6+...   why would you buy a tablet if you already had a laptop??

thats the trend i see anyway

As always, different strokes. 

I have an iPhone 6, upgraded from a 5, and while my ageing eyes appreciate the larger screen, I don't like the larger lump in my pocket. The phone is a constant companion - the tablet doesn't have to be. I have my sling shoulder bag for when I walk about with the iPad (and the glasses, and the extra cables, umbrella, battery pack etc..) but that's a choice I make.

It's good for me because it's a hell of a lot smaller and lighter than dragging a laptop around (with all it's required bits) in some douchy black company laptop bag or hipster messenger. 

The phone, though - is always there. The current 6 is as big as I want to get - my hands can reach around it and I can (mostly) still do everything with one hand. a 6+ would be massive - a two-hander that would not be comfortable flattening out one side of my tight jeans. 

I actually miss the 5!

(...when I can find my glasses)

Yes, the iPhone 5 is a good size. I got it myself

I sympathize. I miss my 5s, and sincerely hope Apple brings back the 4" form factor next year. I would downgrade in a heartbeat, as long as all three form factors retain the same innards, in terms of performance and CPU.

With all devices able to share all content, messaging and even phone calls, I would prefer a small iPhone in my pocket as a relay, and the iPad for when I prefer the larger screen.

I would prefer a small iPhone in my pocket as a relay, and the iPad for when I prefer the larger screen.

Thats my set up

iPhone 5S

iPad mini w/sim

Macbook Pro for working. Would buy Air today

I sympathize. I miss my 5s, and sincerely hope Apple brings back the 4" form factor next year. I would downgrade in a heartbeat, as long as all three form factors retain the same innards, in terms of performance and CPU.

That's the thing - hell, I'd even take the plasticy C style as long as the processor, gpu and functionality are top-spec. Saw a mate's 6s with the 3D touch - want that as well; it's damn sweet, although he's now pressing his iPad screen, waiting to see it do the same..  :WinkGrin1:

Yeah, lame from Apple to release iPad Peo and not feature 3D Touch in the flagship. I suspect they will keep that feature in the iPhones, until next year's devices.

The nice thing about the 6s is that is somewhat heavier than the 6 models, and thus the extra heft makes it feel more solid.

Android and Google all the way for me.  I'm typing this on a Chromebook which is a great, cheap, laptop.  Instant on and a proper keyboard for <£150.  It's almost disposable.

Yeah, lame from Apple to release iPad Peo and not feature 3D Touch in the flagship. I suspect they will keep that feature in the iPhones, until next year's devices.

The nice thing about the 6s is that is somewhat heavier than the 6 models, and thus the extra heft makes it feel more solid.

My guess is that they it's not economical enough for a large tablet, which makes sense as screen technologies filter upwards, not downwards, like many other kinds of innovation. The mass screen area might make it incredibly expensive at large sizes. 

It would be nice too if people posting actually thought about the difficulties of manufacturing at large scale before they start with the "Lame (insert manufacturer)..." bullshit. it's like they get all their tech from Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

Archived