IGNORED

Microsoft Says It Cannot Stop Windows 10 From Spying On You, Doesn’t Think You Should Be Concerned

DaffyDuck

You can reset the Mac back to factory virgin configurations. 

You need a moderately decent internet connection, not absolutely mandatory, though.

Reboot your Mac. Hold Down the following keys on your keyboard simultaneously:

osx_recovery_command.png

[COMMAND] + [R]

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window with the options listed:

• Restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.
  • Verify and repair connected drives using Disk Utility.
  • Check your Internet connection or get help online using Safari.
  • Install or reinstall OS X.

REINSTALL OS X should be your choice. Follow the prompts. This will restore your system to factory settings.

We can then proceed from there.

Got it, thanks, today I am a little busy so will get to this on Thursday, (I did say a little busy  :Evil_Grin2: ) So expect me to to appear smiling or in tears Friday. Thanks dude.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me know. I'll be here to help.

OK I am into the Mac it took awhile but thankfully I know my lass well and was able to figure out the password she had used when thinking she was helping. I have set up mail and transferred all my accounts along with the security protocols .

I tried transfering some files by flashdrive, not very successfully, the font in the word document was not recognised and the signs on the font that Mac used instead did not match the original. I figured how to change fonts in the Mac and went through them on the document until I found one that matched the original completely. So how do I set the thing so that it always uses that same font when downloading a windows file?

The excel spread sheet was a simple one and downloaded from the flash drive ok but I will have to see what happens with the formulas in a more complex sheet that I intend to try next.

I am finding the keyboard way to small for my hands and would prefer something such as this logitech;

keyboard.JPG

Is there anything anywhere near this I have done a search but just wondered if there was anything you could recommend

If there is any suggestions or tips you an offer to help this transition to be less painful I would  grateful.

Well, the most straightforward manner for the migration would have been to use 'migration assistant'. It's an app on the Mac, that works along with a similar app on the Windows machine (you download it onto the Windows machine - Google 'Apple migration assistant Windows'). You make sure both systems are on the same network - and it transfers all your files, and puts them in the right folders.

Nevertheless, you already seem mostly there - so that's good.

Since the Mac uses standard USB or Bluetooth keyboards (and mice) you can pretty much buy any modern Logitech keyboard that has a USB connection, plug it in, and it'll work.

Some keyboards with special keys might need a driver to enable those features. There are a couple of different Mac apps that will enable those. Depends on which keyboard you end up picking up. Ditto with mice - USB or Bluetooth.

Depending on how you had Microsoft Office installed, it should have installed the Microsoft fonts as well - so if you used some specific font on Windows, it should have installed and used the same font on the Mac. Unless you used a personal and special font - in which case you can always find and install that font, and ditto - next import of a document, it should find that font.

Do you know the name of the Windows font?

I have a strong suspicion it might be Times New Roman, which is a known bug with Office on the Mac (despite being installed, it isn't seen, because Microsoft installs it incorrectly).

This might fix the problem:

A couple of steps you can try:

-Open Application>Font Book.

-Choose Times New Roman. You probably have more than one copy installed.

-Activate and deactivate different versions, but only allow one to be active at a time.

-Open the TNR file in Word and check whether it starts to display correctly.

If none of them work, try deactivating all of them. Word keeps its own copy of Times New Roman in its application group, which is invisible to Font Book. Deactivating all the normal copies forces Word to display TNR using its private version.

Well Microsoft also can't stop me from installing Linux as my next OS and I don't think they should be worried about that either.  :I_Win:

Well Said!!!

Depending on how you had Microsoft Office installed, it should have installed the Microsoft fonts as well - so if you used some specific font on Windows, it should have installed and used the same font on the Mac. Unless you used a personal and special font - in which case you can always find and install that font, and ditto - next import of a document, it should find that font.

Do you know the name of the Windows font?

I have a strong suspicion it might be Times New Roman, which is a known bug with Office on the Mac (despite being installed, it isn't seen, because Microsoft installs it incorrectly).

This might fix the problem:

A couple of steps you can try:

-Open Application>Font Book.

-Choose Times New Roman. You probably have more than one copy installed.

-Activate and deactivate different versions, but only allow one to be active at a time.

-Open the TNR file in Word and check whether it starts to display correctly.

If none of them work, try deactivating all of them. Word keeps its own copy of Times New Roman in its application group, which is invisible to Font Book. Deactivating all the normal copies forces Word to display TNR using its private version.

Regards the first post roger all of that, I am downloading as I write.

No special fonts applied in windows just the ones it came with, the Windows font was; Calibre (Body).  Mac said it did not recognised it.  The "&" was displayed as a sign I do not have on either keyboard  but looked like a capital F with the open top closed, whilsts other letters overlapped each other  Hopefully I will not face that problem using Apple migration assistant Windows. 

It's downloaded now so I am going to get on with it, thanks again.

paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One word responses do not get counted towards your post count!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know how it goes Cerberus.

Yes will do, I did not have the correct cabling to hand so will deal with this tomorrow now.

He might have been trying to say Android and just can't spell it?

He might have been trying to say Android and just can't spell it?

If he had written it:

Para noid

would it have counted?  Just kidding.

Let me know. I'll be here to help.

Right, so I tried both cable connections but unfortunately Mac could not/would not see the computer I was trying to transfer from. I did a little research and came up with 2 possible options, one was to upload to drive then download direct to the Mac. The other far more long winded was to copy all to an external drive then download from that to the Mac. I elected for the latter as I decided to couple it with a complete review of my files. This I have now done Leaving me with some 600+ GB to download.

Before I start to do so

1. will Mac be able to deal with window files transferred by this route?

2. How do I use the bloody spell checker, this keyboard is so tiny I keep hitting the wrong keys  :Evil_Grin2:

If he had written it:

Para noid

would it have counted?  Just kidding.

Well both parts are more than three letters so possibly.

The Mac applications can use the majority of Windows data files.

I would rather troubleshoot why the migration assistant doesn't work? Are both computers on the same network?

In a pinch, you can just connect them directly via an Ethernet cord or plug both into the same network hub. Do not attempt this over wifi.

I would rather troubleshoot why the migration assistant doesn't work? Are both computers on the same network?

In a pinch, you can just connect them directly via an Ethernet cord or plug both into the same network hub. Do not attempt this over wifi.

You can't connect them directly with an ethernet cable.  You need a crossover cable or the TX and RX will be wrong on one end.  Best to connect them to the same router and you should be able to see them.

You can't connect them directly with an ethernet cable.  You need a crossover cable or the TX and RX will be wrong on one end.  Best to connect them to the same router and you should be able to see them.

Modern Macs (those built in the past 5-6 years) automatically adjust, and don't need a cross-over cable. That's why I suggested this.

Ok not time wasted as i have cleaned up my files  :Evil_Grin2:  Yes they are both on the same network. I tend to never use wifi in my home office

Ok that could well be the problem I was unable to find a USB 2 USB cable with a bridge but when reading up on the internet there was a suggestion that I could use ethernet cable of which I had loads. I will now go see if I can find a crossover cable.

A little clarification please They are both connected to the same router but both only have one ethernet connection, so I have to disconnect them from the router if using a crossover cable, correct or do i need to secure a one into 2 ethernet socket.

You can just use a regular Ethernet cable. No crossover needed on the Mac.

You can go into SYSTEM PREFERENCES and check in the NETWORK section, and it will show you if the cable is connected.

It might give you an orange or yellow 'light' instead of a green 'light' in front of your Ethernet section - but that only means it has a self-assigned IP number. The Mac should be able to work through that, via migration manager.

Unless you have a static IP configured on the PC side, in which case, make sure the Mac has a similar IP address.

You can just use a regular Ethernet cable. No crossover needed on the Mac.

You can go into SYSTEM PREFERENCES and check in the NETWORK section, and it will show you if the cable is connected.

It might give you an orange or yellow 'light' instead of a green 'light' in front of your Ethernet section - but that only means it has a self-assigned IP number. The Mac should be able to work through that, via migration manager.

Unless you have a static IP configured on the PC side, in which case, make sure the Mac has a similar IP address.

Roger to all,  I will go back and try again.

I have read through all of this thread and it has made me laugh. Cerebus who is obviously a pretty bright bloke is struggling going from windows to Mac which as I understand can be a little tough at times but as a friend of mine who is a network engineer said is less than half as hard as doing it the other way around. Just get used to things working when you plug them in yet be frustrated by the walled garden but know that the whole garden gets along well.  

Agree on the summary - though most of the 'frustration with the walled garden' is, for the most part, really more imaginary than anything.

I have read through all of this thread and it has made me laugh. Cerebus who is obviously a pretty bright bloke is struggling going from windows to Mac which as I understand can be a little tough at times but as a friend of mine who is a network engineer said is less than half as hard as doing it the other way around. Just get used to things working when you plug them in yet be frustrated by the walled garden but know that the whole garden gets along well.  

Hi MrLek, frustration with oneself is probably a fair comment, I have been using the Mac for a few days now and having to google how to do something that I knew automatically how to do on the PC can be somewhat time consuming.

Regards the data transfer the result when trying a few small files was far from acceptable. Some of my files, in particular the multipage excel spreadsheets are complex, at least for me :Evil_Grin2:  and are the result of a huge time investment that I would prefer not to lose. Whilst I am coming to grips with the Mac and although early days can see some benefits now, I cannot get fully involved until my data has been successfully transferred.

I think for those that were brought up on computers from an early age it is easy and even reasonable to look and wonder at someone struggling with what they would consider to be a simple task. However for septuagenarians we are just grateful when youngster take our hand and walk us through the magical forest.   

Regards the data transfer the result when trying a few small files was far from acceptable. Some of my files, in particular the multipage excel spreadsheets are complex, at least for me :Evil_Grin2:  and are the result of a huge time investment that I would prefer not to lose. 

In years past, Office for the Mac only had a subset of the functionality of the Windows version. If that's still the case, you can keep the functionality you now have by running Windows in a virtual machine while you work things through. Back when I was using VMware more, the VMware virtual machine for the Mac was a lot better than Parallels. Either will work and running a VM is fairly easy. 

You could also transition via one of the free online spreadsheets, although that might be extra work you don't want to do. An advantage would be having a backup copy online. 

The below link may have some useful tips about file transfer PC to Mac.

Good luck with your new baby. I've not migrated to a Mac yet but have threatened to. There's little chance I'll go with a solution (in this case, Windows 10) that allows the software vendor to snoop through my computer. ;)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20transfer%20excel%20files%20from%20pc%20to%20mac

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vmware%20for%20mac

In years past, Office for the Mac only had a subset of the functionality of the Windows version. If that's still the case, you can keep the functionality you now have by running Windows in a virtual machine while you work things through. Back when I was using VMware more, the VMware virtual machine for the Mac was a lot better than Parallels. Either will work and running a VM is fairly easy. 

You could also transition via one of the free online spreadsheets, although that might be extra work you don't want to do. An advantage would be having a backup copy online. 

The below link may have some useful tips about file transfer PC to Mac.

Good luck with your new baby. I've not migrated to a Mac yet but have threatened to. There's little chance I'll go with a solution (in this case, Windows 10) that allows the software vendor to snoop through my computer. ;)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20transfer%20excel%20files%20from%20pc%20to%20mac

httpebhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vmware%20for%20macs://www.google.com/w

Thank you for that information i will take time to go through it, at present it's more about time availability than confusion. I also want to do some video editing which seemed easier on a friends Mac, that's another story though as it will be yet another learning curve  :Evil_Grin2:  Since starting this and with advice from DD I have made a hard backup copy and also loaded a copy on my server. So I am not too concerned about the loss of data, merely its functionality once transferred. 

Hilarious, wacky duck thinks ipple is not spying and its only m,s and spoogle. 

Member since Dec 06.

Archived