IGNORED

Gin khaaw rue yang?

Sofa King High

Is there another common way to say gin khaaw rue yang? (have you eaten already). Someone was clearly trying to ask me that, but in a different way. Why he couldn't say the standard, idk. Really irks me when I fuck up a basic conversation after this long.

Can't really think of many variations on that question. Perhaps a more formal "thaan Khaaw/ahaan rue yang" or more complete and formal "raprathaan ahaan rue yang". The only real variations can for 'eat' and 'food' and I guess you could change the question word(s) at the end of the sentence.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I don't know who "someone" was but I'd go for the less formal แดกข้าวยัง and then there are always these ladies who want to test your Isaan skills.

You can skip the "rue" if you like. Thai's like to shorten things as much as they can

Hmmm, ok boys, thanks for the info. Could have been using some slang or maybe my ear was just particularly bad yesterday. Need to start watching more Thai movies to help with comprehension. Sometimes even a phrase I know takes a repeat or 2, grrrr.

One phrase that does sound a bit different because of the form of the question words that they often use is "kin khaaw laaw rue?" กินข้าวแล้วหรือ

Gin lao

Depending on context that could be interpreted as are you drunk or do you want to get drunk. Lao means whiskey which in Thai is a generic form of any alcohol. That is where transliteration comes in handy not to mention an ability to read Thai. It is late and i just can't be bothered to open my Thai key board right now but i think you get the point

Is there another common way to say gin khaaw rue yang? (have you eaten already). Someone was clearly trying to ask me that, but in a different way. Why he couldn't say the standard, idk. Really irks me when I fuck up a basic conversation after this long.

Is it possible he could have just been asking you if you were hungry "hiw mai?"  หิวไหม or "Hiw Khaaw mai? หิวข้าวไหม instead of "have you eaten yet?". They are pretty similar in meaning?

One last attempt from me. I have also sometimes heard Thais ask "kin arai kap khaaw" meaning "What did you eat (with rice)?"

Is it possible he could have just been asking you if you were hungry "hiw mai?"  หิวไหม or "Hiw Khaaw mai? หิวข้าวไหม instead of "have you eaten yet?". They are pretty similar in meaning?

I've given up lol, but thanks for trying. I should have gotten and combo of words suggested here. My comprehension is so out of sync some times there is no telling.

One last attempt from me. I have also sometimes heard Thais ask "kin arai kap khaaw" meaning "What did you eat (with rice)?"

there sure are a few variations :) Cheers

there sure are a few variations :) Cheers

Was it in a bar with entertainment and beer by any chance? Sometimes they use "kap klaem"  กับแกล้ม instead for food eaten in bars and entertainment places with beer.

IMO these are the 2 most used phrases and are very easy to remember. 'hiw mai' - are you hungry but swap the words around to 'mai hiw' and you have the answer of 'not hungry'. IMO its almost lazy Thai spoken between friends rather than formal Thai.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

IMO these are the 2 most used phrases and are very easy to remember. 'hiw mai' - are you hungry but swap the words around to 'mai hiw' and you have the answer of 'not hungry'. IMO its almost lazy Thai spoken between friends rather than formal Thai.

Yeah, there's lots of lazy Thai. Actually the 'mai' ไหม (rising tone) meaning a question and 'mai ไม่ (falling tone) meaning no/not aren't actually the same word but it is still a valid lessen in how to turn a simple question into a negative

Yeah, there's lots of lazy Thai. Actually the 'mai' ไหม (rising tone) meaning a question and 'mai ไม่ (falling tone) meaning no/not aren't actually the same word but it is still a valid lessen in how to turn a simple question into a negative

Its the tones that confuse people and is what causes most non Thai's the biggest problem when trying to speak Thai. In English 'mai' is a single word but in Thai it can be (tone dependant) horse, a question, does not/is not, silk, to burn and more.

To construct a sentence in Thai is easy but to say it with the correct tones is so hard for a Westerner who isnt aware or able to distinguish the subtle changes in tone. 

IMHO

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

thats saying hello for most Thais.  Like me, they are heavily into food :)  

your way, rue yang is not already, but yet.           you can say gin kheaw if you want , already same same

dont worry about the tones with bar girls

they use issan..they no the most important words....money...fuck.etc

Archived