Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jellyfish

Little Evil

Does anyone know if Feb is a good/bad time of year for avoiding box jellyfish I'm hearing all over the news? I want to make it over to Phuket and/or Koh Samui next year, but the news of the recent sting death has me concerned. Jellyfish from my region are more of a temporary annoyance once a year (if at all), not something that is potentially deadly. I should have stopped Googling box jellyfish sting pictures, as now I'm reconsidering that trip. 

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't immediately notice the topic on the top two pages. 

A golden shower could save your life.

Retired

A golden shower could save your life.

So I've heard, but I'd rather not want to prove that home remedy first hand. Besides, you have to make it to shore to attempt that, and the beaches are half the allure to Phuket or any of the koh's. 

This article says the season runs until the end of October. Hope the jellyfish know that.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/26/box-jellyfish-sting-kills-french-boy-thailand

Man...just don't Google those box sting images if you ever want to go back into Thai ocean water. Some look like acid has been thrown on the limb that was stung.

Thanks for the link. I guess the other thing to watch out for are local storms. I heard they can alter currents and kick these things back into bays. 

You can lessen your chances by wearing a full length lycra swim suit.

The stingers are activated by chemicals in the skin not by touch this is why the lycra swim suits are effective.

I swam quite a bit in the Gulf this week, around Koh Chang and Koh Kood.  I couldn't help but think about the German woman killed this month, even found myself visually scanning the water around me.  Once a shadow startled me out of the corner of my eye but it was just a turtle.  

Retired

• 1 month later...

a monsoon season problem. February should be no problems with jellyfish. Yet another advantage of visiting in the dry season. 

People get worked up about one death from jellyfish yet are unconcerned about the DAILY carnage on the roads from farang riding Scooters or motorbikes. Your risk of death getting to the beach is much higher than once you enter the water ANYWHERE in the World. 

Ashamed of my true nationality at present so I am temporarily flying the flag of the Kiwi Republic (wanted the All Black's flag-Black background with the Silver Fern- but not an option on the board software so Jacinda's Standard will have to do.  

Archived