IGNORED

Wrong spelling of name on marriage cert

okdirl

Hi guys

Not sure what section to put this so feel free to move accordingly.

Here is my situation.

When we got married it turns out that the ministry translated my surname incorrectly. They spelt it as they heard it rather than from the affidavit I submitted.

It hasn't been a problem as the English spelling on her passport is right it's just all the Thai spellings that are wrong.

She lives in Ireland with me but we now plan on moving to Thailand.

We also have a new baby so we have to get his Thai birth cert and Thai passport sorted which is where the fun begins.

Do we just get his papers issued under the incorrect spelling (if so then how hard is it to change once we get to Thailand)

Or do we go through all the hassle of changing everything then getting his papers?

Or do we just leave everyone's spelling as the incorrect way?

Will that have any legal implications or issues in the future or is it purely cosmetic and will make no difference in the long term?

If I am to change details it means a trip to bkk to change everything then a trip to London to get his birth certificate then back to BKK to sort his passport.

Any advice appreciated.

Yeah, this is one case where you should get advice from a reputable visa business or a professional opinion from a Thai immigration lawyer, so the situation doesn't get more complicated than it already is.

It's not a huge problem, just go to the amphur and ask them, I had some official Thai documents with my name misspelled (yellow book) and it took a visit or two to get it sorted out.

Had the same problem a few days ago with the spelling wrong of my surname...had to get it translated again ( went to soi 13/2) and the lady there sent them back to ministry of foreign affairs...we got them back yesterday ( Saturday) with approval to get married

Happens all the time in LOS, every Thai has a different set of rules for translations between the languages. You just have to look at highway signs - Pataya, Pattaya, Phattaya, Phataya - I know Thai families where everybody has vastly different spellings of their family names, what they have depended on the whim of some official at some time. One of my exs had the surname Vipoosiri, her sister was Vipusiri, her brother was Wipusiri, no doubt her aunts & uncles had even more spelling variations.

Anyway, as already pointed out it's no big deal in LOS and can easily be sorted out at the ampur if needed. 

BTW: Thais can change their names very easily for many reasons, I found that out when I was working in Thai schools, a kid would come back after a year or two away with a new name. More often than not they changed their names because of Buddhist beliefs in good and bad luck, and to do with what days they were born on.

Always best to get translations of names - English to Thai/Thai to English - decided on very early then make sure all legal docs use the same spelling.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Had the same problem a few days ago with the spelling wrong of my surname...had to get it translated again ( went to soi 13/2) and the lady there sent them back to ministry of foreign affairs...we got them back yesterday ( Saturday) with approval to get married

Got married yesterday...better late than never 5555

• 3 weeks later...

I had my surname spelled wrong in Thai when placing a USUFRCT on a chanote, and an error in my house number on a verification of address document.  In both cases I went back to the issuing authority, explained the problem, and they fixed it immediately.

Archived