Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Golf bars in Pattaya

Newton82

For all the golfers in the forum I think it would be nice to have updated info on various golf bars / societies in Pattaya. Their outings are great way to play golf if you are travelling alone or with one or two pals. You'll get nice company to play with and can cut your costs. Saves you also from all the organizing.

Most of the bars are affiliated with Pattaya Sports Club, so you should get your membership card from their office. Initial fee is 400B and after that 500B per year of 2500 for 6 years. With the card you get good discounts for all golf courses. The summary or the outings schedules and prices can be found on their web page (pattayasports.org).

I played in July 2014 with Lewiinski's and Cafe Kronborg.

Lewiiski's is located at Soi 13/3, close to beach road. You put your name on the list inside the bar and the transport leaves in front of the bar. After the round you can have a shower and beer/food. Transportation cost was 500B and includes competition fee so you'll have a change to win your money back. Overall very well organized, welcoming and laid back.

Cafe Kronborg is located on Soi Diana, almost opposite of Areca Lodge. You'll put your name on the list inside the bar and 200B leave booking/competition fee in envelope. The cost for transfer was another 250B. The transport leaves in front of the bar. Also well organized, not quite as smooth as Lewiinski's but very good overall.

The total cost depends on the course as well as if you walk or take the cart. However, typical total cost is around 2500B.

Please fill in your experiences and updates of playing with the golf bars in Pattaya!

If you don't want to particularly take part in a competition you could play with Le Katai or Witherspoons who offer non competitive golf - other than that agreed between individuals. Some dubious handicaps out there............... :Think1: 

If you don't want to particularly take part in a competition you could play with Le Katai or Witherspoons who offer non competitive golf - other than that agreed between individuals. Some dubious handicaps out there............... :Think1:

My handicap was always dubious, far too low! I'd recommend the Sportsman Pub for golf on Soi 13, a regular game on Weds morning in good company.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

the best golf society imo,is the GOLDEN FERRET,run by peter and garn,opposite soi 8 2nd rd,pattaya new plaza,they will store your clubs free,and organise all your golf,good food as well,enjoy.you do not need any pattaya sports card either.

Rich Man Poor Man Soi 9 Jomtien gives you a very pleasant golfing experience and last YR purchased a New Van

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Forget the pattaya sports club, they're just a money making discount club full of members with dodgy handicaps - members can, and do, input their own unverified scores for handicaps. Check out the venues affiliated to the ipgc, a true non profit organisation with 7 venues that run golf 7 days a week. www.ipgc.org. Cheaper than thecpsf, with a handicapping system that cannot be "manipulated".

Forget the pattaya sports club, they're just a money making discount club full of members with dodgy handicaps - members can, and do, input their own unverified scores for handicaps. Check out the venues affiliated to the ipgc, a true non profit organisation with 7 venues that run golf 7 days a week. www.ipgc.org. Cheaper than thecpsf, with a handicapping system that cannot be "manipulated".

Thanks for the info about IPGC. I had not found them before. Seems to be pretty similar schedules and courses as PCS. The bars seems to be a spread bit farther away though.

You should not take competitions and handicaps too seriously I think - just have fun. I'll tend to compare scratch scores anyway, no excuses there :)

Hi Newton82

Regarding the golf bars in pattaya, all the ipgc bars and 95% of the psc bars cater for competition golf, which is what the vast majority of the visitors and expats want, therefore valid handicaps are key. The point I was trying to make is with the ipgc everyone is on a level playing field wheras with the psc system, you are not. when i came here 4 years ago, i joined both organisations, the ipgc asked for a valid handicap certificate, the psc accepted what i told them with no proof. On top of that, with the psc system, where members can input their own unverified scores, as a current 7 handicapper, i could manufacture a nice little 18in time foe the next major psc event. I would never do this, but have heard of many who have. Unfortunately it's the nature of this town, if a system is open to abuse, it will be abused.

Finally, the psc subs are significantly higher than the ipgc, and they have a joining fee, which the ipgc do not, and high season the ipgc discounts are better, except for expats, which the psc have special deals for. As a non profit organisation, this means the psc has to give away significant sums every year to avoid tax implications, the ipgc avoids this by keeping it's subscription rates at a reasonable level.

"......they're just a money making discount club....." - have you ever properly looked at their charity work? They do a hell of a lot for the local people in need.

I have no axe to grind with the IPCG but on their home page they say - "IPGC negotiates with local clubs, on behalf of its member societies, to achieve the best discount rates for competition green fees and offers advice when necessary." Now I may have missed it but I could not see on any of their links any course pricing info and that includes the linked bars. I am sure they are posted at the bars when you sign up but that does not help someone compare.

At least on the PSC site you get a detailed breakdown of that months rates for all the courses as notified to them. For many this can be a great help in planning their golf especially if not joining in with any particular group.

Newton82 has it right - or see my post #2 above..........

Alot of bars on LK Metro do Golf trips

i know 18 Coins used to last year.. :GoldenSmile1:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Hi Newton82

Regarding the golf bars in pattaya, all the ipgc bars and 95% of the psc bars cater for competition golf, which is what the vast majority of the visitors and expats want, therefore valid handicaps are key. The point I was trying to make is with the ipgc everyone is on a level playing field wheras with the psc system, you are not. when i came here 4 years ago, i joined both organisations, the ipgc asked for a valid handicap certificate, the psc accepted what i told them with no proof. On top of that, with the psc system, where members can input their own unverified scores, as a current 7 handicapper, i could manufacture a nice little 18in time foe the next major psc event. I would never do this, but have heard of many who have. Unfortunately it's the nature of this town, if a system is open to abuse, it will be abused.

Finally, the psc subs are significantly higher than the ipgc, and they have a joining fee, which the ipgc do not, and high season the ipgc discounts are better, except for expats, which the psc have special deals for. As a non profit organisation, this means the psc has to give away significant sums every year to avoid tax implications, the ipgc avoids this by keeping it's subscription rates at a reasonable level.

Our posts crossed - I don't disagree with your view on the handicaps. It is unfortunate which is why I now play either with people I know and/or a non competitive bar.

I would still be interested in seeing a list of IPCG prices however? 

Thanks guys, good discussion around handicaps, perhaps worth an own thread... If you are on vacation and just want to have a easy and ready organized round or golf I'd suggest simply not to mind each others handicaps and not to take bar competitions that seriously - most you can lose is 200B.

More detailed info and experiences on actual golf bars would be appreciated.

I could not find that either on their pages. One definitely good thing about PSC is their price summaries incl. sports day discounts etc. That makes the planning before trip much easier.

Played with two Golf Bars so far.

Golf Club in LK Metro and Phantom Bar in Soi Backhao down towards the Markets.

My recommendation would be Phantom Bar.

Walked in and was met by bar owner Christian who introduced me to a few of the top brass. Put my name down and rocked up on the day and was wrmly greeted. Was given free water coffee before golf at the bar.

500 baht transport and comp fee and then whatever required at the course.

Was able to sit in club after golf and have a meal beer then back to Phantom Bar for presentation and drinks.

First day was supplied with hamburgers and fries. Second time was supplied with couple of pizzas from nearby shop.

Great bunch of blokes and actually felt really welcome.

Not knocking the guys at the Golf Club but the show run at the Phantom Bar was just better run and got better value from it

Our posts crossed - I don't disagree with your view on the handicaps. It is unfortunate which is why I now play either with people I know and/or a non competitive bar.

Hi Kanga, the reason the ipgc don't publish their rates on the site is that we encourage our members to support the venues by playing organised golf and attending presentations afterwards, thereby putting something back into the bars who's owners give up their time and effort in more ways than one - for example all the ipgc venues have representatives that serve on the committee. We try to discourage members from simply going on line and choosing the best deal for themselves, then going off and doing their own thing, often taking customers from the venues in the process. Indeed, the ipgc discount is negotiated with the courses on the understanding that it applies only to organised comps, although in these tough times most courses do not enforce this.

Somewhere in the region of 90% of psc rounds are played independantly with no benefit to their bars, which has led to numerous golf bars having to close over the years.

Hi Kanga, the reason the ipgc don't publish their rates on the site is that we encourage our members to support the venues by playing organised golf and attending presentations afterwards, thereby putting something back into the bars who's owners give up their time and effort in more ways than one - for example all the ipgc venues have representatives that serve on the committee. We try to discourage members from simply going on line and choosing the best deal for themselves, then going off and doing their own thing, often taking customers from the venues in the process. Indeed, the ipgc discount is negotiated with the courses on the understanding that it applies only to organised comps, although in these tough times most courses do not enforce this.

Somewhere in the region of 90% of psc rounds are played independantly with no benefit to their bars, which has led to numerous golf bars having to close over the years.

I can see that point of view but I think that highlights the big difference between the two "organisations". Whilst golf was the initial driver, and is still probably the most important, it is not the only sport they promote. Anybody else who is interested see here - http://pattayasports.org/information/about/

I am not sure where, or how, you get the 90% figure but I suggest that it does not matter as the key point is that I do not believe the PSC is there to benefit the bars specifically and nor do I believe the bars think that. 

There appear to be more bars/affiliated groups on the PSC list now than I remember from say 8 years ago. I would suggest that bars are linked because they hope to generate more business by encouraging golfers to play from their bar. How successful they are in that depends on the bar/individual concerned.

At the end of the day golfers will choose whichever bar/schedule is right for them and there are certainly more than enough to choose from. Whether PSC or IPCG enjoy your golf (and please try not to play too slowly  :GoldenSmile1: )

I agree with your key points, the most important thing is that everyone enjoys their golf, and any fourball that gets around in about 4 hours is good for me. The 90% figure was given to me by a long time resident who has researched golf in patts for a long time. I should have qualified that i have taken someone elses word on this. It may be that if you want to play social golf, be it through a bar (le katai, golden ferret) or as a private private 4 ball, join the psc, if you want to play competition gokf on a level playing field (someone said handicapping maybe subject to a separate debate) join the ipgc. Maybe we'll meet on a course soon to discuss this over a beer.

• 3 weeks later...

i play at the phantom in Soi buakhao

they do several important things right

1. they store your clubs.

2. they play at good courses.

3. they conduct a good comp and get it as cheap as you can

4. they put on some free food back at the bar after they game as mentioned above.

5. breakfast available and free coffee from 8Am before they leave.

6 most importantly a good bunch of guys and they dont put up with any shit.

7 play 3 times a week 

8 some extremely attractive hostesses to take the wrinkles out of your back swing back at the bar

get there for their monthy special day - almost a prize on every hole when they team up with Lewinski's

• 1 month later...

Some do some don't

Usual charge about 400 baht

You can always hire at course if need be though price on that I wouldn't know

Next time I go clubs to bar on first game and leave there until last game

Less stuffing around carrying them from hotel to bar in morning and then back in afternoon

Hire a baht bus and drop them off and then just walk each morning

Do the clubs have hire sets available for people that dont bring their clubs?

You can hire clubs at Thaigerline golf in soi Choiapoon (50 metres up the soi from Triangle Bar). Hire 500-1,000THB (owner Fabien will discount significantly if you hire more than once on your trip).

FWIW you should have disclosed right away that you are involved with IPGC.

And like the udder guy (I assume you meant Pattaya rounds, not PSC) 90% sounds very high. Most Thais can't afford to play golf in the first place and I would expect travelers, if they don't use bars, are using services like Thaigerline as they have no idea how to get around by themselves. I expect even a lot of ex-pats develop relationships with bar owners and the guys that frequent them and, if they don't use the SAME bar all the time, at least use A bar most of the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now Thaigerline wouldn't have any benefit to the bars but they would still benefit the Thai economy.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Thanks guys, good discussion around handicaps, perhaps worth an own thread... If you are on vacation and just want to have a easy and ready organized round or golf I'd suggest simply not to mind each others handicaps and not to take bar competitions that seriously - most you can lose is 200B.

More detailed info and experiences on actual golf bars would be appreciated.

THIS !!!

Way too much emphasis on "sandbagging". EVERYWHERE, not just in Thailand.

And when you can't even win enough $$$ to pay for your round, what's the POINT in sandbagging ? It's a waste of time AND $$$ since it takes a lot longer for your HC index to go UP than it does to go down.

i play at the phantom in Soi buakhao

they do several important things right

1. they store your clubs.

2. they play at good courses.

3. they conduct a good comp and get it as cheap as you can

4. they put on some free food back at the bar after they game as mentioned above.

5. breakfast available and free coffee from 8Am before they leave.

6 most importantly a good bunch of guys and they dont put up with any shit.

7 play 3 times a week 

8 some extremely attractive hostesses to take the wrinkles out of your back swing back at the bar

get there for their monthy special day - almost a prize on every hole when they team up with Lewinski's

The only course I've played there that I don't consider good to very good is the Navy course. Of course the one time I played there we had to wait an hour to tee off and they had no carts so I had to walk the course.  :68:

I'll have to check out the Phantom Bar though,,,,,,, for reasons 4 & 8.  :Grin3:

Of course "storing clubs" is important for the bar as they KNOW guys don't want to be lugging their clubs all around Patts !!!  :22600584-Th:

Archived