IGNORED

Car Rental from BKK airport and drive to Pattaya

Pink_Panther

Will be arriving midnight of Nov 8th for a one month stay in Pattaya. Flight reaches just after midnight and I was thinking the possiblity of renting a car at BKK airport and drivng to Pattaya. I have done this in Europe/Dubai and India in the past and with rented GPS it was a breeze. Did Anyone tried this in past and care to share their experiance..Info I am looking for is BKK to Pattaya drive is straight FWD with English signs or I will be lost..If BKK airport does not work then I still plan to rent from Pattaya city (any recomendation).

Thanks

For the price per day of rental i'd get a taxi from the airport. Its about the same price and much easier.

As for rental. I use budget. They will drop the car off at the hotel for you FOC and collect from where you like in Thailand, also at no extra cost.

Driving in Thailand is very easy. The roads are pretty good quality and all of the signs are in English.

• 4 weeks later...

Some signs can be confusing on the way to Pattaya but just stay on the motorway and you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend renting from the airport though as they seem to be MUCH more expensive then some other companies that will deliver a car to the airport.

For help or advice with Vehicle Inspections and Repair anywhere in Thailand, send me a PM!

มีคนเป็นล้านคน ช่างไร้เหตผลุจริงๆ ที่เราเจอà¸à¸±à¸™

For the price per day of rental i'd get a taxi from the airport. Its about the same price and much easier.

As for rental. I use budget. They will drop the car off at the hotel for you FOC and collect from where you like in Thailand, also at no extra cost.

Driving in Thailand is very easy. The roads are pretty good quality and all of the signs are in English.

I agree with the suggestion to use a taxi to get to Pattaya from the airport, look around the forum, you will find many discussions on this.

I disagree, however, that driving in Thailand is very easy. The driving skills of most Thais is atrocious, and though most of the main roads are pretty good most of the time, there are so many exceptions that you must pay much closer attention all of the time. Large potholes can appear suddenly, large enough to cause significant damage to your car and/or cause you to crash. In and around Pattaya, you also have to contend with a high percentage of drivers under the influence.

Having said that, if you are to be here for a month, getting transport would probably be worthwhile. While are car is certainly safer, it is also much more difficult to park, especially in the tourist areas. Public transportation, baht busses (pick up trucks with seating installed in the rear), and both motor bike and auto taxi's are abundant.

I don't know of any rental places offering GPS equipped vehicles, though some of the bigger ones like Budget may have them. I and a couple of friends have rented cars from Challee Car Rental on 3rd road and found them to be competitive and very good/fair to deal with.

Rick