IGNORED

Unique Situation reguarding retirement and living in Thailand / Visa

DaytonaMonger

To my knowledge retirement visas require either 800,000 THB or combination of Savings in a Thai Bank and a certain steady income. This will allow for a 1 year visa and I have to report every 3 months to the Thai Immigration. 

My question is....what do I do when the 1 year is up? Do I get an extension of said visa or am I forced to leave the country?

I have a very different situation than most because I am a flight crew member. At 48 I am eligible to retire with my flight benefits which include an international pass bureau. I don't plan to retire at least until in my late 50's early 60s. But once I do I have pass priveleges and can leave the country on a flight relatively cheaply. 

I wouldn't appear to have made any border runs for extensions because I would be flying. 

I'm just curious as to anyones input on this situation. 

You can apply for a one year extension when your visa has 30 days or less to expiry. There is no need to leave the country. Rules may well change in the 10+ years to your retirement.

I'm well aware of the changing landscape of the retirement scene in Thailand and I thank you for answering my question. Hopefully it will stay this way. I theoretically COULD retire at 50 and I'd still be able to keep my flight benefits but I think I'm going to work until I'm 60. Thats 23 years from now. 

I'm well aware of the changing landscape of the retirement scene in Thailand and I thank you for answering my question. Hopefully it will stay this way. I theoretically COULD retire at 50 and I'd still be able to keep my flight benefits but I think I'm going to work until I'm 60. Thats 23 years from now. 

So you're 37 yo now and you're asking about an Extension of Stay (Retirement) ?

It doesn't matter when you actually do retire from work, but you do realise you can't get one of those for another 13 years ?

It doesn't matter when you actually do retire from work, but you do realise you can't get one of those for another 13 years ?

Good point

Stevie

LOL. Prudent future planning; even though its silly planning for the future in Thailand.  No one would bet the thai baht would up to 35/1 USD. 

"Better Passah Thai...Better Pussy" 

Better to know now and keep in touch with the happenings I suppose. Like the above poster said prudent planning. Already have a fund set aside with my 800,000 THB equivolent in it. 

Archived