Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Cucumber Restaurant and Pub on Pattaya Tai

Evil Penevil

post-9139-0-91890000-1437605710.jpg

Cucumber is located on Pattaya  Tai  between 2nd Road and Soi Bukhao.  It's about 100 meters before Tukcom  (diagonally across the street) when walking from 2nd Road.  

post-9139-0-02167300-1437605725.jpg

When I first moved to Pattaya,  I lived very close to Cucumber and ate there quite a bit.  I never had a bad meal and Thai girls loved it, but after I moved to another part of town, I seldom found my way back.  Until this week, I hadn't there for over a year.

On Monday, I tried the grilled sea bass at 230 baht.  Cucumber offers "international dishes" s well as Thai food, including Isaan specialities

post-9139-0-04705200-1437605743.jpg

It came with a potato pancake, salsa and a slice of garlic bread.

post-9139-0-11667900-1437605757.jpg

The potato pancake was well-seasoned and the salsa was a a good accompaniment, to it.

post-9139-0-51512000-1437605773.jpg

Sea bass has a delicate flavor that doesn't need much in the way of sauce or seasoning.

post-9139-0-13537000-1437605786.jpg

It was cooked perfectly.  The risk with sea bass is that it is often overcooked so it looses its texture.

post-9139-0-53425300-1437605800.jpg

I was very happy with that meal.  The portion wasn't huge, but what it lacked in size it made up in flavor.  If you're really hungry want a more substantial meal, you can always order soup , salad or several other starters from Cucumber's extensive menu.

Last night I had the 200-gram charcoal grilled sirloin steak with vegetables and grilled potato for 340 baht. It came with pepper sauce in a gravy boat (yea!  I hate it when sauce or gravy is poured directly on a steak) and a slice of garlic bread.

post-9139-0-21058000-1437605817.jpg

It was Thai beef, but still pretty tender and had a lot of flavor. It wasn't at the standard of imported U.S. or Australian beef, nor had I expected it to be.  It was nicely grilled, although I wished the sides of the steak had been seared more.

post-9139-0-52274800-1437605830.jpg

I'd asked for the steak to be cooked "medium rare" and that's what I got.  When I saw the potato, I thought it might have been undercooked because of the color, but It was OK.  The vegetables were usual mix, but were cooked al dente and didn't have all the flavor boiled out of them.  I tasted the pepper sauce, but it was unremarkable, so I didn't use it.

post-9139-0-21863900-1437605855.jpg

I had no reason to complain about my steak dinner, but I doubt I'll order it again. The sea bass was excellent; the steak was OK and the side dishes uninspired. There are better choices to make from the menu at Cucumber than steak.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Cucumber has three sections for seating: a veranda that's great for people watching on Pattaya Tai; an indoor "fan room;"  and an enclosed air-conditioned room.

I haven't eaten breakfast there,but Cucumber has a lot of breakfast variations (American, English, German, French, Italian, Thai/Chinese and even Vietnamese) as well as specialty dishes like eggs Benedict and creamed mushrooms on toast.  I plan on trying the creamed mushrooms soon.

post-9139-0-87284700-1437650367.jpg

post-9139-0-55057600-1437650353.jpg

post-9139-0-43833500-1437650311.jpg

post-9139-0-35617100-1437650336.jpg

post-9139-0-63427100-1437650296.jpg

post-9139-0-82839300-1437650277.jpg

post-9139-0-24426100-1437650260.jpg

Here's the link to their site http://cucumberpattaya.com/

Looks like 200b joiner fee.

When I'm in city I walk past this place allmost every day, but never tested the place.

If I remember right there was some russian signs outside earlier and maybe that's why I never went in.

I have lived near Cucumber for almost a decade and here is how I rate their food on a 1 to 10 scale:

Western dishes: 5.5

Thai dishes: 9.5

Breakfasts: 8.0

Do you know how much per night to stay there   ? 

I have never stayed in the rooms there, so I can't speak from personal experience.  You can get rate information here:  http://cucumberpattaya.com/room-rate-2/

Be aware that they do charge a joiner fee if the girl doesn't register with you.

Evil

thanks for the update seen it many times but now will give it a go as i love sea bass

Nice review as always. This place is right on my doorstep, but the only time I ate there was 2+ years ago when living elsewhere!

Might give it another go, that sea bass looks good value. I see their breakfasts offer unlimited coffee, would be good to hear if the coffee is of decent quality or??

I used to eat at Cucumber regularly when I stayed nearby. They do a great pancake breakfast if you fancy something different.

The last time I went there I had a soft shell crab curry dish.

It was awful.

Like I said, last time. 

I love your quality review Evil Penevil. Cucumber is near tuesday and friday Soi Buakhao fair. I've never been inside.

May I ask if you have any culinary education for their review, or is it only just your hobby.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

I love your quality review Evil Penevil. Cucumber is near tuesday and friday Soi Buakhao fair. I've never been inside.

May I ask if you have any culinary education for their review, or is it only just your hobby.

I don't have any training or background as a chef or other "food professional,"  but I did write restaurant reviews for a U.S. daily newspaper,  although that was only one part of my job duties..

Evil

I too ate there several times when I stayed in the area and always enjoyed it. Really nice Cordon Bleu there.

Evil is normally spot on with his reviews, if anything his a touch pro on the restaurants side, so if it is a bad review, it is bad!.. :GoldenSmile1:

I don't have any training or background as a chef or other "food professional,"  but I did write restaurant reviews for a U.S. daily newspaper,  although that was only one part of my job duties..

Evil

Thanks for your answer, many other nice reviews.and good luck  :hello09:

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

As usual nice review and photo shoot Evil. Definitely fair and accurate, thanks for giving this establishment a review as it's certainly worth a try.

I've stayed at and eaten at the Cucumber (1,100 Baht a night) on several occasions and they give you 10% off all food and drink if you are a guest in their hotel. I live next door to this establishments but at times I've had to stay there for various reasons.

The food here is quite tasty as I've had many dishes none of which are listed above. The Lasagna is good there as well as the hamburger. Breakfast is decent but a bit pricey compared to other offerings around town. 

The rooms themselves are clean and large with all upgraded amenities. There is a joiner fee of 150 baht if you bring a girl back with you but well worth the price of admission. 

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

I sometimes drop in there for a drink or breakfast after shopping at TukCom.

Pretty decent place without being outstanding.

Thanks for the review Mr Evil.

Nice review, your food pics as always are excellent. The steak looks good, pity it didn't measure up.

................................................................................................................

• 2 weeks later...

Been there a few times for breakfast and cant complain.My thai gf tried the thai dishes and she was happy about it and in particular with the size of the portions.

Archived